Bad_Daddy

California bails out/takes over California's largest school distrtict

15 posts in this topic

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/15/local/la-me-brown-bills-20120915

Brown signs bailout for Inglewood schools

California will take over the Inglewood Unified School District, which could otherwise run out of money by December. The bill is one of 22 the governor signed.

September 15, 2012|By Patrick McGreevy, Los Angeles Times

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday signed a $55-million emergency bailout and state-takeover plan for the nearly bankrupt Inglewood Unified School District.

In addition to authorizing the emergency loans, the measure requires Supt. of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson to assume the duties of the Inglewood school board. Torlakson will work with the county schools superintendent to appoint a state administrator for day-to-day operation of the 15,000-student district.

State Sen. Roderick Wright (D-Inglewood) had introduced the package in the Legislature, saying a significant decline in enrollment, deep cuts in state funding and poor financial decisions by the district's management meant the district would otherwise run out of money as early as December. On Wednesday, the school board voted to cut salaries by 15%.

"The students in Inglewood deserve an education, and we have a constitutional obligation to provide it," Wright said. "This loan will close a painful chapter in the Inglewood Unified School District's recent history and allow staff to get back to the business of educating the next generation of community leaders."

Wright said in an interview Friday that the problems afflicting the Inglewood district's 26 schools are showing up elsewhere as well, so the Legislature, which passed the Inglewood measure Aug. 31, may get more bailout requests.

"There are 10 to 15 other school districts that could very well be in the same position as Inglewood in the next fiscal year," Wright said.

His SB 533 was one of 22 bills Brown signed Friday, including one to protect those in a federally funded food stamp program called CalFresh in case their electronic benefit cards are stolen.

CalFresh recipients already can be reimbursed if their benefit cards, which function like debit cards, are stolen. The new law, AB 2035 by Assemblyman Steve Bradford (D-Gardena), provides the same protection if they are victims of electronic scams such as illegal card readers.

The governor also approved a bill to make it easier for the state commission that draws legislative and congressional districts based on population counts to include prison inmates in the neighborhoods they come from instead of the location of their incarceration.

Prison officials will be required to provide the commission with information on the census block in which each inmate previously lived. That way, neighborhoods with large numbers of convicts should not be shortchanged in the redistricting process. The new law is AB 1986 by Assemblyman Mike Davis (D-Los Angeles).

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

California says you need to tone it down a bit. You're coming on too strong and making it uncomfortable.

Did someone hold a loaded gun to your head and force you click onto this thread?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I don't know, does someone put a gun to your head and force you to read and post every single article about the state of California?

Filed: Timeline

I don't know, does someone put a gun to your head and force you to read and post every single article about the state of California?

He is jealous.

Gross State Product (Rank): California $​1,​901,​088 million (1) Alaska $​49,​120 million (46)

http://state-facts.findthedata.org/compare/2-13/California-vs-Alaska

Edited by The Patriot

sigbet.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The school system is a failure. The state of California taking it over will not improve things IMO. I have seen the same thing with the State of New Jersey taking over certain school districts - and things went from bad to worse.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

The school system is a failure. The state of California taking it over will not improve things IMO. I have seen the same thing with the State of New Jersey taking over certain school districts - and things went from bad to worse.

There's thousands of illegals in that school district costing them major $$$$...like vampires, not to mention LA has to pay big bucks for bi lingual school teachers. If your not a bi lingual teacher than don't even think of applying for a teaching job in that school district.

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There's thousands of illegals in that school district costing them major $$$$...like vampires, not to mention LA has to pay big bucks for bi lingual school teachers. If your not a bi lingual teacher than don't even think of applying for a teaching job in that school district.

That automically disqualifies many of the high quality teachers. And with vampires and leeches in the system, things must keep going downhill

6864855.gif

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

That automically disqualifies many of the high quality teachers. And with vampires and leeches in the system, things must keep going downhill

6864855.gif

That state is tanking fast and I'm loving every minute of it. They reap what they sow..and they are totally oblivious to that fact. If you look a few post up on here at "The Patriots" post in regards to California's GDP...well he doesn't get it. If a person makes $1 million dollars a year it still doesn't mean jack if that person spends $2 million dollars a year. It's simple and basic mathematics. If you spend more than you make your sure to be in the poor house quick like.

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

Why would you "love every minute" of a state "sinking fast"? How does that make your life better?

Because I detest that state and everything it stands for. It's the Sodom and Gomorrah of the USA.

sigbet.jpg

Because I detest that state and everything it stands for. It's the Sodom and Gomorrah of the USA.

So your passion and obvious obsession stems from hatred. That sounds healthy.