memlaura

passport correction

60 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks everyone we just talked he is just going to go to Abuja like we had planned and do it there and not worry about what others tell him

I hope he knows someone there cos he may not be entertained else things have changed. They frown so much at fraud,so,they are never quick to respond to make a new one when it is under the 5yrs before its expiration,they always believe any mistake is your fault and not theirs

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We should not be quick to make replies on some of the things we dont know and dont believe everything you see on the internet. This lady said 'for corrections' and most people are talking about renewal.This is no joke,i know someone who spent over N250,000k on a mistake she made on her date of birth. The E-passport thing is new and they tell you to be sure you not making any mistake before it is finally made cos if at all you will be able to get a new one,it will only be at Abuja and that is if you are able to get it at all.The conditions of getting a new one is hard as much as i know,i can find out though but the man is not lieing and stop judging what you dont know.

YOUR RIGHT :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by chinna

Timeline

I wanted to say this to but..... Yap I think the same thing, her husband is milking her for every dime. Poor lady...

Please do not judge, you are not in Nigeria and dont know the circumstance. Do not spoil or end a relationship/ marriage. Focus on building yours. If you cannot advise appropriately just stay silent. I am sure the wife will know when she is being milked

Timeline

Please how can you judge people based on what they are going through, anybody that lives in nigeria can be scammed, I live in 9ja and all this things happen everyday

For the LOVE of GOD stop the judging please, we have no right to say such things to people we claim to be helping, you don't know them from Adam, you are not living their lives for them.... You won't like it if someone says such things about your spouse.

Philippians 4 vs 6-7

Timeline

Have him do it himself. His friends are scamming him because they know you will give him money and they will easily take the money. All you have to do is go on the nigerian website and it is 5100 naira which is 32 dollars. http://www.immigration.gov.ng/index.php?id=57

All you have to do is go on the Nigerian website? Really? Like you dont know how things work in Nigeria,dont mis-lead people here,if you dont have better info. If you are a victim of any sort of scam doesn't mean you should go ahead to think everything that doesn't sound right is,you may be the one who is less informed. If you want to make your E-passport in Nig it is N18K but you get in maybe 1month or 5weeks but between N19K - N22K in 2-3days if you know someone at immigration office but in this case they are talking about ''CORRECTION''

Edited by Fafoo

Timeline

Who is scamming who? Whatever amount let your husband bear the cost since he's working. I don't believe the first money you sent him was lost to someone else but he himself... Wise up young lady or you're being used... That being said, $800 dollars for anything passport must be "fraudlent concept" to drain you. For example, your husband is not a foreigner and he understand the nigerian system, therefore, he should always protect you from such misgiving assuming the great love he has for you. I hope and pray I am wrong in my opinion... Wishing you all the best

Being from a place does not mean you know all the nuances of that place. In Nigeria, the moment someone learns that you are married to an American all the rules/costs change drastically. All of a sudden, "friends" know more about the visa process than you and have an abundance of misinformation to pass along as though it's gospel. Before we got married and were just looking at doing a vistor's visa my husband went to see a "travel agent" who told him the visa could be approved if he showed he had travelled outside of Nigeria and went back...NOT! "Let your husband bear the cost since he's working." Memlaura is doing what she can as a wife to help their journey move along and I'm sure her husband is doing the same. The cost of marriage is bearing it together. $300 in Naira is no small amount to come by.

It is always best for our Nigerian spouses to go inquire from themselves. If he were trying to scam. He would have told her it was $800 and no conversation about what his friend told him.

(Have fun on your trip!)

Edited by Olomi_811

Listen and Listen well. I had to make corrections on my e-passport just this last May 2012 because of a silly mistake an immigration officer did on my passport. instead of inputting 16 on my birthdate, he inputted 06. in short . I had to travel to Abuja for a reissue. it cost me close to 45 thousand naira. I am not trying to scare you. l currently stay in Nigeria and what i am telling you in the real truth. you might be able to haggle and bargain for something less but I am ####### sure it can never be less than 20k Naira and your spouse must be ready to submit the old one with evidences to prove that the error is not a fault of his. it is not like the bussiness as usual thing again. i hope I have not scared you in anyway. Have a great Day.

Timeline

Listen and Listen well. I had to make corrections on my e-passport just this last May 2012 because of a silly mistake an immigration officer did on my passport. instead of inputting 16 on my birthdate, he inputted 06. in short . I had to travel to Abuja for a reissue. it cost me close to 45 thousand naira. I am not trying to scare you. l currently stay in Nigeria and what i am telling you in the real truth. you might be able to haggle and bargain for something less but I am ####### sure it can never be less than 20k Naira and your spouse must be ready to submit the old one with evidences to prove that the error is not a fault of his. it is not like the bussiness as usual thing again. i hope I have not scared you in anyway. Have a great Day.

I believe what this person have said,the lady i talked about in my earlier reply committed the error herself and this made her go through hell before she could get a new won.Especially when you dont reside in Abuja,he'll spend on flight and it is time consuming.Not scaring in any way but making it clear his reason must be real genuine but it is not an impossible situation.

Filed: Timeline

I am going by Onyeuwa oma assumption....Scam...Scam...Scam....even being in love...you still need to use your common sense...there is no way immigration will charge even 300 dollar for what...i will not accuse your man but if he is not part of the game to swindle you...he is being swindle...and if there is any way to investigate his claim you have to do it right away...and determine who is fooling who...because that is ridiculous to Nigeria government immigration agency...do not give the money...tell him to figure it out and be a man and get maybe a new passport....maybe i am being too strict but we are just tired of Nigerian name being paint black from inside...If your man is part of this game...that is really a redflag to me about his intention in this relationship...sorry to all who may think that i am judgmental on this but i've learn a lot from other people experience. They always cause more heart break when they are here than their act of systematically using every means to cause the foreign partner to send money...money does not grow on tree here..does it? Just be careful in all you are doing in the name of relationship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Who is scamming who? Whatever amount let your husband bear the cost since he's working. I don't believe the first money you sent him was lost to someone else but he himself... Wise up young lady or you're being used... That being said, $800 dollars for anything passport must be "fraudlent concept" to drain you. For example, your husband is not a foreigner and he understand the nigerian system, therefore, he should always protect you from such misgiving assuming the great love he has for you. I hope and pray I am wrong in my opinion... Wishing you all the best

I agree with you.... She needs to check her husband out... Cos even for him to tell her that it cost $800... to me that sounds more like he's trying to get money off her... He's a Nigerian and am sure he knows better

Timeline

Whatever you may say will not change anything about this lady and her spouse and she didn't complain to anybody. If there is a country that is clean from fraud,drugs and all,show me,that must be heaven. Be constructive with you replies and not pass all the judgement on people you dont even know anything about. Cos one person scammed makes all Nigerian men scammers when they talk about money,cool story. Respect people's marriages/relationships and its a 3 fold chord,you are not the 3rd person are you?

Timeline

We should not be quick to make replies on some of the things we dont know and dont believe everything you see on the internet. This lady said 'for corrections' and most people are talking about renewal.This is no joke,i know someone who spent over N250,000k on a mistake she made on her date of birth. The E-passport thing is new and they tell you to be sure you not making any mistake before it is finally made cos if at all you will be able to get a new one,it will only be at Abuja and that is if you are able to get it at all.The conditions of getting a new one is hard as much as i know,i can find out though but the man is not lieing and stop judging what you dont know.

I guess you forgot. It's 2.5m... not 250k. Who will believe this bullcrap ?

Timeline

My husband is upset because a friend told him that it is going to cost him $800 or more to make corrections to his passport he was going to go to Abuja this week but now he is not sure if he should just go we didnt think it would be more than around $300 top,. they told him due to high fraud they are charging more to make corrections to discourge scammers that have been turned down for a visa from trying to apply again with a new passport and that it is $800 or higher. has anybody heard this or no where on line we can find the info on how much it will cost. Thanks for your help.

..Very simple.. He should go get a new one which cost less than $130 and have them cancel the one that had the mistake..

Agreed. My husband has never asked me for a dime and takes care of all of my expenses when I am in Nigeria. We do not send money back and forth. With that being said, I know for a fact other Nigerian's try to get over on my husband all the time. I can't tell you how many times he has went for something as simple as phone records, had to "MONETARILY TIP" all the workers for information, only to be sent away and asked to come back the following Tuesday, to do it all over again....including tipping again. It finally came down to him having to go to court, get an affidavit to retrieve his phone records...in order for him to get them three months later and THEN only received three months worth, but was waiting for six months of records (that's how long they had sent him back and forth).

Let's see what else did he need, oh the Police Report...yeah, they wanted =N= 20,000 for that! Yes, the "official office" wanted that amount. I saw others here on VJ getting theirs for =N= 3,000 to =N= 5,000. My husband still ended up paying =N= 8,000 and they told him the additional was for "quick processing". There was nothing quicker about the processing, he had been there tipping away for three days.

I don't care how customary you think that is...that is call FRAUD, SCAMMING...DECEIT.

So I truly don't believe her husband is trying to scam her, I believe his so called "friends" are trying their customary hand at getting some money at the expense of his wife. Either way, they seem to have a very open communication about what is going on and they are learning, just my husband and I have, what is considered normal there...is not considered normal here. One thing that is normal here is...Wives and Husbands work together and "help" each other, usually financially. So if she is helping her husband, that should be their choice...it's their marriage.

Good luck to both of you and God bless!

Please do not judge, you are not in Nigeria and dont know the circumstance. Do not spoil or end a relationship/ marriage. Focus on building yours. If you cannot advise appropriately just stay silent. I am sure the wife will know when she is being milked

AMEN!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.