samiam

Is debt a problem?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello to all

I would like to start by saying how much I appreciate everyone here at V.J. what a great recourse this site is.

My foreign fiance recently told me about some debt they have not made any payments on for about the last two years. It seems they had a good paying job at the time and used bad judgment and got in over their heads with credit cards . They have since not been able to find a good paying job as they live in a fairly impoverished country with high rates of unemployment and under employment and realistically have little if any chance of ever being able to pay this off and I currently do not have the funds to take care of this for them. The debt is somewhere in the neighborhood of the equivalent of nine thousand U.S. dollars.

My fiance said they had not told me about this because they were embarrassed and ashamed of having done this and they did not think it would have any impact on the visa process. However they recently spoke to a friend that was denied a tourist visa to the U.S. because of unpaid debt. The friend said that the U.S. embassy has a computer to keep track of debts like this.

I know a tourist visa is not the same thing as a K-1 and I have read here on V.J. that for the most part only crimes of moral turpitude are a concern. And unpaid debt though wrong is not a crime.

My question is this: has anyone heard of someone being denied a K-1 visa due to unpaid debt?

I am really concerned that we may be doomed before we ever start and I now have the application ready to submit but am going to wait to send it in until I know what to expect.

Thank you for reading my post and for any advice you might have.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The answer is - not an issue.

But they?, you can only sponsor one K1, well at a time.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

I find it unlikely that US Consulates maintain/ monitor the financial /spending habits of foreigners. They are not a credit reporting agency. They would however raise a flag if discovered that YOU paid it off. I would find it very surprising if it had any impact on a visa issuance.

However, in the event the lender(s) have filed a default judgement civil suit for collection against her, and depending on the system of the country, your fiance could very well be denied by her own immigration/ customs from leaving her country until the debt is paid in full or satisfied. It may be a game of risk to take on the day of departure considering the price of airline tickets, along with a dated visa in hand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't know if this helps, but I've had to submit information (affidavits of support) for my fiance that prove I can support him if needed. I've had to prove that I am employed and pay taxes. I've never had to show anything regarding debt, credit cards, or how much money I have. ONLY that I am employed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.