Neonred

I Hate the Russian Embassy

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I guess the truth is we (my wife and I) hate the Russian embassy. We needed to go back to Russia to take care of a few things, renew my wife's internal passport and sell our apartment. My wife nagged me all last week about buying the air tickets and, before that getting me to apply for my visa. Now that all that has been done and appropriate gifts purchased for all her friends I have been asking her to be sure everything is in order for the trip. Turns out not only is her internal passport expired, her international passport expired yesterday....she was thinking it was good until October 9th! Told her to call the Russian embassy to be sure there would be no problem for traveling or to perhaps get an extension for travel.

The embassy told her that since her internal passport is expired she has no proof that she is still a Russian citizen...#######? She explained that she was going over to renew her internal passport. They told her she cannot travel to Russia as she will be arrested at the border and then sent back...#######? Then she asked the person at the embassy if they can help her renew her internal passport...they said no. She asked the person at the embassy what to do and they said the cannot help her. She asked if she were stuck in the USA and the answer was....maybe. We were able to verify with two other sources that the arrest and return were in fact accurate.

I tried calling the embassy and had no luck. The woman I spoke with said to me in very good English " I don't speak English" and then gave me a phone number to call. I called that number but the message said no one can take your call, good bye.

I had my wife call a company in Chicago that can renew a Russian passport for a fee. They were much more helpful and directed her to a Russian embassy site where she can download a form and submit it along with numerous documents and $65 and, after 2-3 months she will get a document that will verify she is a Russian citizen. Then this company in Chicago will be able to renew her passport.

Told my wife it may just be easier to renounce her citizenship so that she can use her US passport and a visa. Looked into that too but it takes as much effort and time as renewing the internal passport from what I can tell.

Now I need to get busy cancelling flights.

Don't let your wife's passports expire. Avoid the headaches that can crop up. See my other thread about how my wife makes everything so difficult

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Sorry, but I don't see how this is the EMBASSY'S fault... Laws are laws, and it's your wife's job to stay on top of things like when her zagran expires.

Although I am confused about why they would need her internal passport, since as I recall, Russian citizens permanently living abroad are supposed to relinquish theirs, even if basically no one actually does this.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I guess the truth is we (my wife and I) hate the Russian embassy. We needed to go back to Russia to take care of a few things, renew my wife's internal passport and sell our apartment. My wife nagged me all last week about buying the air tickets and, before that getting me to apply for my visa. Now that all that has been done and appropriate gifts purchased for all her friends I have been asking her to be sure everything is in order for the trip. Turns out not only is her internal passport expired, her international passport expired yesterday....she was thinking it was good until October 9th! Told her to call the Russian embassy to be sure there would be no problem for traveling or to perhaps get an extension for travel.

The embassy told her that since her internal passport is expired she has no proof that she is still a Russian citizen...#######? She explained that she was going over to renew her internal passport. They told her she cannot travel to Russia as she will be arrested at the border and then sent back...#######? Then she asked the person at the embassy if they can help her renew her internal passport...they said no. She asked the person at the embassy what to do and they said the cannot help her. She asked if she were stuck in the USA and the answer was....maybe. We were able to verify with two other sources that the arrest and return were in fact accurate.

I tried calling the embassy and had no luck. The woman I spoke with said to me in very good English " I don't speak English" and then gave me a phone number to call. I called that number but the message said no one can take your call, good bye.

I had my wife call a company in Chicago that can renew a Russian passport for a fee. They were much more helpful and directed her to a Russian embassy site where she can download a form and submit it along with numerous documents and $65 and, after 2-3 months she will get a document that will verify she is a Russian citizen. Then this company in Chicago will be able to renew her passport.

Told my wife it may just be easier to renounce her citizenship so that she can use her US passport and a visa. Looked into that too but it takes as much effort and time as renewing the internal passport from what I can tell.

Now I need to get busy cancelling flights.

und in about three or four days

Don't let your wife's passports expire. Avoid the headaches that can crop up. See my other thread about how my wife makes everything so difficult a VISA/quote

Hi.. I am no expert but if your wife has a US passport she can just geta VISA. She can use a service for that such as Abriggs. Phone #1-800-806-0581 VISA can be turned aroned in about three or four days. good luck

Timeline

Hi.. I am no expert but if your wife has a US passport she can just geta VISA. She can use a service for that such as Abriggs. Phone #1-800-806-0581 VISA can be turned aroned in about three or four days. good luck

Russian citizens cannot get visas for Russia.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Sorry, but I don't see how this is the EMBASSY'S fault... Laws are laws, and it's your wife's job to stay on top of things like when her zagran expires.

Although I am confused about why they would need her internal passport, since as I recall, Russian citizens permanently living abroad are supposed to relinquish theirs, even if basically no one actually does this.

Certainly we are speaking out of frustration. What irritated us was calling the embassy with a passport problem and asking what to do to fix the problem, and the people we talked with didn't know and said sorry, we can't help you. We got a lot more information out of a passport agency.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

Timeline

Yes, but only if they are registered as permanent residents of another country at a local embassy. most people keep their Russian registration.

Neonred, you didn't even have to call anybody... ALL information you might have needed can be found on the website of the embassy. ALL OF IT. They also tell you what to do if both of your passports expired or you don't have your internal passport with you. How do I know? I looked it up a couple of weeks ago, because my travel passport expires in December. Luckily, my internal passport expires in 22 years, so I have nothing to worry about.

It's just like with the immigration process: read the guides.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

Yes, but only if they are registered as permanent residents of another country at a local embassy. most people keep their Russian registration.

right, you're supposed to do it but most people keep their Russian registration and internal passport.

Первый блин комом.

This is usually the point where I wash my hands of the whole situation and say, "You deal with it."

Good luck.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

This is usually the point where I wash my hands of the whole situation and say, "You deal with it."

Good luck.

I don't know the words, but the tune sounds familiar :whistle:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I had similar problem: I had to travel to Russia. I never been living in Russia. I was born in Ukraine and came to US when I was 18. However they were asking for a proof that I was NOT russian citizen since I was born in former soviet union. So, my company just paid $1,500 to an agency that specializes in visas and miraculously I got visa... Sickening. I think all the laws in Russia are directed towards getting bribes. Russian Government thinks ONLY about how they can rip off their own people. Government officials drive Bentley while senior citizens are starving. Corrupted system... Thank God I am USC!!

Timeline

Russian Government thinks ONLY about how they can rip off their own people.

Just like any other government :whistle:

Timeline

My point is that the people at the Russian embassy are some of the most rude and uncaring and difficult people to deal with.

My wife's internal passport is expired and we were headed to Russia to renew it as it cannot be handled here. Five years ago my wife had the embassy renew her international passport. Our mistake was looking at the expiration date on the international passport of 10-09 and thinking it expired Oct 9 but really it expired Sept 10. We were to fly next week.

Last week, the day after it expired we talked to the embassy about it and about getting an extension to be able to fly. They say she now has no proof she is a Russian citizen??? What?? They renewed her passport 5 years ago. Is it that easy to loose your Russian citizenship? Then they say we can't help you. They also say do not come to the embassy without an appointment. Pretty much "don't bother us".

Edited by Neonred

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am not sure if you have the needed documents, but read: http://russianembassy.org/Embassy_rus/Consulate/svidetelstvo_na_vozvrashenie.html

"Certificate on return to Russia" would work to enter Russia. If your wife has the needed documents, she can return, but will have to wait for the new passports for weeks in Russia.

Timeline

here they don't drive Bentley. Not even close.

how can your car make you better or worse? why are you so concerned about somebody else's Bentley and counting somebody else's money anyway? they can commute to work using a plane or a helicopter and I won't care as long as they are doing their job. I just don't believe there is such a thing as a good politician. Period.

Last week, the day after it expired we talked to the embassy about it and about getting an extension to be able to fly. They say she now has no proof she is a Russian citizen??? What?? They renewed her passport 5 years ago. Is it that easy to loose your Russian citizenship? Then they say we can't help you. They also say do not come to the embassy without an appointment. Pretty much "don't bother us".

well, when you were bringing your wife here, you had to provide a proof of your citizenship: either a copy of your passport or a copy of your birth certificate, right? what doesn't make sense here?

No, it's not easy to lose your Russian citizenship, not at all. However, who is to blame, if your wife is unable to get on their website and

1) look at the list of the documents she needs to renew her passport: http://russianembassy.org/Embassy_rus/Consulate/passport_bez_konsucheta.html

2) read about the way she can prove her citizenship if she doesn't have a valid internal passport: http://russianembassy.org/Embassy_rus/Consulate/podtverzhdeniye_grazhdanstva.html

it's as simple as that.

took me 1 minute to find this information on their website.

Sorry for being another mean Russian, but in that case you can only blame yourselves.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.