Mariana D.A.

How long to get interview after RFE?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

There isn't a specific answer. It really just depends on how busy your local office is.

well, there are people who had same situation as mine, same dates, and same Philadelphia location, and already got their interview scheduled mid October/ end of October.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

well, there are people who had same situation as mine, same dates, and same Philadelphia location, and already got their interview scheduled mid October/ end of October.

Same RFE?

It's really hard to say, your stuff could be with a particularly slow interviewer. You could call and ask, but I'm not sure anyone you reach on the phone will be able to tell you much.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

I've learnt not to try and guess or to look at others and their timelines. I was on target with my fellow August filers, but they all pretty much have interview dates and/or EAD notifications. Different offices have different volumes of I-485 interviews and whatnot.

Timelines can be helpful in providing a "general" guide, but I'm not going to start freaking out because someone who sent their package the same day as me, or who had their biometrics on the same day, got something before me. I just assume that my local office is busy processing stuff. The ASC in Atlanta was chocked full of people when I went for my biometrics - I was early and didn't get mine completed until an hour past my time. Based on that, I imagine I'll be waiting a little while yet...

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Timeline

I've learnt not to try and guess or to look at others and their timelines. I was on target with my fellow August filers, but they all pretty much have interview dates and/or EAD notifications. Different offices have different volumes of I-485 interviews and whatnot.

Timelines can be helpful in providing a "general" guide, but I'm not going to start freaking out because someone who sent their package the same day as me, or who had their biometrics on the same day, got something before me. I just assume that my local office is busy processing stuff. The ASC in Atlanta was chocked full of people when I went for my biometrics - I was early and didn't get mine completed until an hour past my time. Based on that, I imagine I'll be waiting a little while yet...

Yeah, you might be right.. but the funny thing is that people applied in the same office as I did... so, have no idea why mine is so slow..

Best way to calculate how long it will take (IMO): figure out how long your local office is taking. Add in the time your case was paused for the RFE. That should give you an idea. Then, realize an interview letter is sent about a month early.

So if you filed mid-July and it's taking your local office 3 months to process cases (pretty fast), then people are getting interview letters 2 months out. So you'd have been expected to get a letter mid-September and approval mid-October (again, based on what you're saying only). So add 3 weeks for everything for the RFE. So instead of interview letter mid-Sept and approval mid-Oct, you'd be looking at interview letter early to mid Oct and interview early to mid November. But that is if your response to the RFE was adequate and if your local office didn't slow down in the meantime.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

Best way to calculate how long it will take (IMO): figure out how long your local office is taking. Add in the time your case was paused for the RFE. That should give you an idea. Then, realize an interview letter is sent about a month early.

So if you filed mid-July and it's taking your local office 3 months to process cases (pretty fast), then people are getting interview letters 2 months out. So you'd have been expected to get a letter mid-September and approval mid-October (again, based on what you're saying only). So add 3 weeks for everything for the RFE. So instead of interview letter mid-Sept and approval mid-Oct, you'd be looking at interview letter early to mid Oct and interview early to mid November. But that is if your response to the RFE was adequate and if your local office didn't slow down in the meantime.

thank you, that makes sense. I guess that as long as they approved my EAD and AP, and the only problem they found (so far thanks God!) is affidavit of support, and I submitted all the paperwork already, my case should be on it's way to interview:) I hope any time soon

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

I haven't received anything yet!

No status update, no EAD, and no

Interview letter...:(

I am seriously starting to worry! :(

Chill out, chill out! Each cases differ. While I've got my EAD card very fast, since then I've heard nothing. Some people get their EAD card fast and wait a long time for the next step. Others take forever to get their EAD (indeed, I even heard people getting their EAD card after their GC was already in production) and then within the delivery of their EAD card they've got the interview appointment in the mail within a week from it. Just hang on, it will come! This process is all about patience.

All the best!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.