madtownguy

marriage vs k1 visa

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does anyone know the time it would take to get a visa if you are married in Philippines? My fiance really wants to get married there, I really don't like that idea but if it were to speed up the process enough I would be game. Has anyone weighed the options and figured out what works best. I filed k1 about a month ago and won't be in Philippines until late November, I have to imagine it takes 2-3 months at a minimum.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

EDIT:

I had no problems with the process.

Pay close attention to The Marriage Application Process

Applicants aged 22 to 24 must have received parental advice. Philippine law prohibits the marriage of individuals under the age of 18.

issuance of the Philippine law prescribes a ten-day waiting period from the filing of the application to the marriage license. The license is valid for 120 days and may be used anywhere in the Philippines.

Google is your friend

Edited by sjr09

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

That wasn't much help, I didn't ask how to get married there. I asked how long it will realistically take to get a visa after you are married. There's too much bad info on the web to trust it, k1 visa is a lot longer than USCIS states as an average.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

For me personally....I live my life on MY terms. Not on the governments terms.

we chose to marry because we are in love and wanted to be married.

so our status is OUR choice

Then just file the appropriate documentation according to our choice....

Why live your life on what is the easiest according to the government?

Just my opinion only.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Google is your friend

The info on that link doesn't answer his question (about how long it takes), it only describes the steps to get married in the Philippines.

To the OP - the K1 is a fiancee visa only. Since you've already filed the K1, you would have to cancel it, and file for a CR-1 Visa if you decide to get married before getting her K1. The CR-1 generally takes longer than K1 (by a couple months on average), but has other benefits that may make it a better choice. Read here for more info -My link

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

K-1 visa is a few months shorter from some that have been through the process. You can look at http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare to see the advantages of either option

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

That wasn't much help, I didn't ask how to get married there. I asked how long it will realistically take to get a visa after you are married. There's too much bad info on the web to trust it, k1 visa is a lot longer than USCIS states as an average.

Processing times vary according to the number of applicants at the time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Does anyone know the time it would take to get a visa if you are married in Philippines? My fiance really wants to get married there, I really don't like that idea but if it were to speed up the process enough I would be game. Has anyone weighed the options and figured out what works best. I filed k1 about a month ago and won't be in Philippines until late November, I have to imagine it takes 2-3 months at a minimum.

So you cancel the K-1 and do the IR/CR-1 route...

Figure if you get married in late November and have prepared most of the paperwork in advance and you have a NOA1 Dec 1st .. Assuming eight months you would have your visa August 1st..

Of course it could be longer but if it was me I would be thinking August as the earliest possible date (so the time to shoot for) but know it could be September or October...

Edit: Sorry for the redundant post, you people are fast! maybe I need to improve my typing skills.

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Option would be cancel the K-1 go get married file CR-1 I have seen k-1 take longer then CR-1 and vice versa. CR-1 has benefits over the K-1

Read http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Other Timeline

I am k1 Visa & it's only took less 6 Months all process from the filling,waiting,medical & interview :star:

i heard marrying there in Philippines but we didn't tried that... so i don't know about others how long does it take for them to get here in US?

Good luck

Timeline

Your funny....you won't trust a government website, because "there's too much bad info on the web".

But you trust people here on a public forum.....news flash....this is the "web".

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Time is close to the same for a CR-1 and K-1 from filing of petition to approval for the visa. Big plus is once through POE the green card is sent with the CR-1.

Knowing what I know now I would have went the CR-1 route.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Typically CR-1 route i a little longer, i would have to say this is a wash. Green card when she arrives and it appears to be cheaper.

The one big problem is, you are already married to your wife and if something comes up ex.... Backround checks, previous marriage, still married, children, arrested. And if she can't get the visa, your stuck living in the PI or another country with your new wife. I'm just saying, if actually happens more often then I would have thought. I know we all have fiancee's and wives/husbands that are totally 100% honest, but maybe they forgot.

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.