Dave-n-Oksana

Okay I am offically confused

58 posts in this topic

One of the things that attracted me to my wife was the simple life she led in Russia. Of course she had no closet in her apartment and just a small wardrobe with a few pair of shoes and a few dresses, etc. Boy did I get fooled. I just did not understand the how and why of Russian life.

Our master bedroom has two separate closets, but now she wants to remodel and convert the bedroom next to the master into her private closet! I'm not kidding. These are NOT small rooms, it's a large house.

Oh, I'm in big trouble.

Tell me about it. We just bought a new home with a huge walk in closet in the master bedroom. After Oksana put her clothes away, I got 1/8th of the hanging space and 2 drawers total in the new dressers we bought. We haven't been in the house 1 month and she is already complaining that she has not place to put her clothes!!! :blink:

Edited by Dave-n-Oksana

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

One of the things that attracted me to my wife was the simple life she led in Russia. Of course she had no closet in her apartment and just a small wardrobe with a few pair of shoes and a few dresses, etc. Boy did I get fooled. I just did not understand the how and why of Russian life.

Our master bedroom has two separate closets, but now she wants to remodel and convert the bedroom next to the master into her private closet! I'm not kidding. These are NOT small rooms, it's a large house.

Oh, I'm in big trouble.

Alla had an 8 pair shoe collection in Ukraine which she was quite proud of and showed me at her flat. Her mother told ehr not to show her man all her shoes or she might "scare me away" :rofl:

I am not kidding when I tell you she has that many pairs under her hatchback door in her car! Probably a dozen pairs on the rack at the door and I swear, at least two dozen pairs in the closet. The closet situation started as one closer, about 8 feet long. I added a wardrobe I built, actually a wooden closet made of cherry which copied a design from an Italian furniture catalog she always dreamed of having. It is 12 feet long...filled to the brim immediately. She has a dressing area now with shelves along one wall, filled. Another very deep but narrow walk in closet in the hallway outside the bedroom...filled. A built in wardrobe coat closet in the entry from the garage...filled. Clothes racks in the basement laundry room for hanging clothes as they come out of the dryer, but it is always filled also. :wacko: The result of "almost free" clothes and free clothes from when she was doing modeling part time. (she admitted to doing that mostly for the clothes!)

I think I will need a new HOUSE to store all her clothes! :lol:

Tell me about it. We just bought a new home with a huge walk in closet in the master bedroom. After Oksana put her clothes away, I got 1/8th of the hanging space and 2 drawers total in the new dressers we bought. We haven't been in the house 1 month and she is already complaining that she has not place to put her clothes!!! :blink:

You've only begun :rofl:

Damn they good though, don't they?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

If I had the space, i would have a dressing room, no question!!!!

It is one of Alla's favorite things and I swear if I could do not the remodels and improvements I do I would rank quite a bit lower in her book, I am sure. A man with golden hands is highly prized. I built her dressing area, actual;ly created when I built the cherry wardrobe, with three large plate glass mirrors, wall mounted for the 360 degree view (all sorts of uses) her "toilet table" shelves for her "in season" clothes which she wears most, a window for natural light and wall mounted sconces. Oh yeah, ranks right up there with the granite sink in the kitchen (which I did not make). It is getting so that our "bedroom" is really just Alla's closet and dressing room with a bed in the way. :lol:

Gary And Alla

despite the usual level of tactful disagreement here in the RUB forum.

I wonder if that's how our marriages would be described as well. "... with a usual level of tactful disagreement."

I'm not sure if tactful translates into Russian!

Fortunately, I turned Mrs. T-B. on early

The key to any happy marriage.

One of the things that attracted me to my wife was the simple life she led in Russia.

My wife was in a similar situation so you can understand my surprise at her disdain for our small apartment and lack of a "huge mansion whis nice car and wonderful vacation in Caribbean."

I welcomed her to go back to her "princess" lifestyle in Russia. She reminded me she was "queen" in Russia and of course, she's still here.

a huge walk in closet

I spent a few hours assembling an Ikea wardrobe (hey, there's no words in the directions, just some ambiguous European dude who points to stuff and makes funny faces) for "our clothes" about six months ago. Just this week she finally removed my last few shirts from "her wardrobe" because she didn't have enough room.

I guess it's kind of like the money. Her money is her money and my money is "our" money. Marriage is awesome. "It's your privilege share same air I brease."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

I wonder if that's how our marriages would be described as well. "... with a usual level of tactful disagreement."

I'm not sure if tactful translates into Russian!

The key to any happy marriage.

My wife was in a similar situation so you can understand my surprise at her disdain for our small apartment and lack of a "huge mansion whis nice car and wonderful vacation in Caribbean."

I welcomed her to go back to her "princess" lifestyle in Russia. She reminded me she was "queen" in Russia and of course, she's still here.

I spent a few hours assembling an Ikea wardrobe (hey, there's no words in the directions, just some ambiguous European dude who points to stuff and makes funny faces) for "our clothes" about six months ago. Just this week she finally removed my last few shirts from "her wardrobe" because she didn't have enough room.

I guess it's kind of like the money. Her money is her money and my money is "our" money. Marriage is awesome. "It's your privilege share same air I brease."

Alla says we only disagree when I am wrong. :blush: This usually occurs when I would venture into the areas for women which I have learned to stay away from. Since she never goes anywhere near anything which is a "man's job" she is never wrong. Yeah, that's the explanation.

I have found that discussing things which could lead to a scandal (because I am wrong) are best done in the bathtub. I have clinically determined it is impossible to have a scandal in a tub of hot water with a beautiful naked woman.

And yes, Slim, despite Alla's disappointment at discovering we were not rich and we actually have to balance the checkbook and "count money" she admits her contemporaries in Ukraine, her former classmates who are now teachers, realestate agents and an engineer all have far worse lifestyles than her and even her palace of a flat in the Stalin Bunker now seems less...um, luxurious, when it is 39C, no air conditioning, the water is non funtional a few days per week and she has to carry groceries 3 blocks from the market and up 5 flights of stairs :lol: I told her when we were dating that an American woman would say, no SCREAM, "#### YOU!" drop the groceries and run away. Now she agrees. She hates busses, after telling me just after her K-1 interview..."y'know maybe I will not bother to learn to drive" :lol: :lol: Her car is now her self propelled purse, shoe closet, library, sports locker room. She has her shoes, her shooting bag, her swimming bag, her ice skates, make up bag, school books. She not only does not want to ride on busses, she does not want to go anywhere in anyone else's car because all her "stuff" is in her car.

Her wallet is packed with credit cards of every imagineable type. Thank you God, so far none have any balances, she pays them off every month or even immediately after getting her 10% discount for using the store card or whatever special they are running. She uses one for gas and groceries which gives us points for travel.

Except for retaining the looks, heels, make up, and kitchen habits of a Ukrainian she is 100% Americanized to any type of convenience or creature comfort and becomes very upset when she does not have it. The first year she couldn't wait to go back to Ukraine for 2 months, now 3 weeks seems like an eternity :lol:

Gary And Alla

When my wife was in Russia a few weeks ago she called me. I asked her how it was and one of the first things she said was, "I miss my car. I have to walk everywhere and it takes forever to get wherever I want to go."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

When my wife was in Russia a few weeks ago she called me. I asked her how it was and one of the first things she said was, "I miss my car. I have to walk everywhere and it takes forever to get wherever I want to go."

:lol:

Alla was doing errands wqith her mother, taking her mom to Dr. appointments etc. This seemed to take all day every day. She would get home and I would say "what took so long?" :lol:

"DAMN Busses take so long to go anywhere then you have to wait for this and wait for that and take another bus and..." :angry:

Gary And Alla

Yep. All the "unnecessary" parts of America end up being things they miss most when they go back.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Discuss this with your wife before you talk to your daughter. Without your wife's support it will not go anywhere. :thumbs:

Totally agree with this, need the wife/mother support to get the point across. Maybe use the old American adage with her, regarding dating "Why buy the cow, when the milk is free" and see if that doesn't help get the point across.

Our K1 Timeline

01/31/2005 send I129F to NSC

02/2 NOA1

04/01/2005 NOA2 Received via email

04/19/2005 NVC Issued Case #

05/21/2005 Received Packet 4 (never got Packet 3)

06/06/2005 Interview scheduled

06/09/2005 Obtained Visa's

07/09/2005 Wedding Day

AOS

06/29/2005 Filed for SS Card

12/31/2005 Filed for AOS/AP

1/11/2006 NOA1 AOS/AP

2/15/2006 Biometrics

10/17/2006 - AOS Approved!!

11/30/2006 - Houston we have Green Cards

08/24/2008 - Filed I-600 for Daughters Citizenship via Adoption

02/25/09 - Rcvd Removal of Conditions for wife

Citizenship

4/28/2010 - Daughter became "Naturalized Citizen" since I adopted her

4/9/2012 - Filed N-400 for wife

8/23/2012 - Interview Appt!

Mike and Iryna3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Totally agree with this, need the wife/mother support to get the point across. Maybe use the old American adage with her, regarding dating "Why buy the cow, when the milk is free" and see if that doesn't help get the point across.

You actually have to put out for that adage to apply and also, who wants to be bought?

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
who wants to be bought?
See post #52 (on p. 4) in this thread, see man:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382775-mrs-t-b-the-citizenship-test/page__st__45

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.