memlaura

quick question

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I keep getting asked if I am getting vaccinated against milaria before I go to see my husband I didnt last time and wasnt planning on it this time. I was wondering if many of you that have visisted get the shot or not. I live in florida so I am pretty use to issue with mosquito bites and Encephalitis but would appreciate some advise. Thanks

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I would get it if I were you in fact that is the only shot I get when I go because malaria is so prevalent there........

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I keep getting asked if I am getting vaccinated against milaria before I go to see my husband I didnt last time and wasnt planning on it this time. I was wondering if many of you that have visisted get the shot or not. I live in florida so I am pretty use to issue with mosquito bites and Encephalitis but would appreciate some advise. Thanks

Here is what the CDC says with regards to travelling to Nigeria

Areas of Nigeria with Malaria: All (more information)

If you will be visiting an area of Nigeria with malaria, you will need to discuss with your doctor the best ways for you to avoid getting sick with malaria. Ways to prevent malaria include the following:

Taking a prescription antimalarial drug

Using insect repellent and wearing long pants and sleeves to prevent mosquito bites

Sleeping in air-conditioned or well-screened rooms or using bednets

All of the following antimalarial drugs are equal options for preventing malaria in Nigeria: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine. For detailed information about each of these drugs, see Table 3-11: Drugs used in the prophylaxis of malaria. For information that can help you and your doctor decide which of these drugs would be best for you, please see Choosing a Drug to Prevent Malaria.

Note: Chloroquine is NOT an effective antimalarial drug in Nigeria and should not be taken to prevent malaria in this region.

To find out more information on malaria throughout the world, you can use the interactive CDC malaria map. You can search or browse countries, cities, and place names for more specific malaria risk information and the recommended prevention medicines for that area.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/nigeria.htm

Edited by kennard

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Malaria is not a shot it is pills you take. Yellow fever used to be required but rarely checked for. Other things you might consider is from CDC also Note that most are if you travel to rural areas. Polio is a concern if you never were protected here. My older sister had polio as a child and it isnt very nice.

Vaccination or Disease

Recommendations or Requirements for Vaccine-Preventable Diseases

Routine

Recommended if you are not up-to-date with routine shots, such as measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) vaccine, poliovirus vaccine, etc.

Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG)

Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in countries with an intermediate or high level of hepatitis A virus infection (see map) where exposure might occur through food or water. Cases of travel-related hepatitis A can also occur in travelers to developing countries with "standard" tourist itineraries, accommodations, and food consumption behaviors.

Hepatitis B

Recommended for all unvaccinated persons traveling to or working in countries with intermediate to high levels of endemic HBV transmission (see map), especially those who might be exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment (e.g., for an accident).

Typhoid

Recommended for all unvaccinated people traveling to or working in West Africa, especially if staying with friends or relatives or visiting smaller cities, villages, or rural areas where exposure might occur through food or water.

Polio

Recommended for adult travelers who have received a primary series with either inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) or oral polio vaccine (OPV). They should receive another dose of IPV before departure. For adults, available data do not indicate the need for more than a single lifetime booster dose with IPV.

Yellow Fever

Requirements: Required if traveling from a country with risk of YFV transmission and ≥1 year of age.a

Recommendations: Recommended for all travelers ≥9 months of age.

Vaccination should be given 10 days before travel and at 10-year intervals if there is on-going risk. Find an authorized U.S. yellow fever vaccination clinic.

Meningococcal (meningitis)

Recommended if you plan to visit countries that experience epidemics of meningococcal disease during December through June (see map).

Rabies

Recommended for travelers spending a lot of time outdoors, especially in rural areas, involved in activities such as bicycling, camping, or hiking. Also recommended for travelers with significant occupational risks (such as veterinarians), for long-term travelers and expatriates living in areas with a significant risk of exposure, and for travelers involved in any activities that might bring them into direct contact with bats, carnivores, and other mammals. Children are considered at higher risk because they tend to play with animals, may receive more severe bites, or may not report bites

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

The CDC guidelines can be confusing and its a ton of information. Save yourself some time. Contact your local Health Department, tell them where you are going and set up all vaccinations with them. Health Departments are required by law to follow current CDC guidelines. Take your vaccination record along with you to ensure you are up to date on childhood vacs, you may need a booster or two.

Personally, I have been asked each and every time "before I leave the airport" for my vaccination record. They have asked specifically all three times for the Yellow Fever vaccination and they look for the stamp from my local Health Department.

Malaria medication is optional. If it makes you feel safer, then take the medication along. I took along insect repellent and sprayed it religiously right before dusk each evening, especially if I was going to be out late with my husband.

Indoors, if there is air conditioning, it is usually not an issue. Cover the basics well and have a fabulous time!

Timeline

I did the 3 shots and took the malaria pills. Even though my plan was to stay 2 months I stayed 6 1/2 so 4 months no pills was scared to death because that was the height of rain season.

But the Polio and typhoid because of the water you better take. After 2 months I felt brave and a real 9ja woman and started drinking the tab water. To the horror of my family who thought the American had lost her mind. Funny my family doesn't even drink but bottle water. I got them to start doing the tap though we are all fine.

And my husbands cousin that was going to school in Port Harcourt got typhoid while I was there. Actually, died twice revived she is still mending after a 1 year later.

Hate to say if you are over a certain age its no time to skimp on the precautions. Our frail protected American bodies well they need exposure and meds. LOL

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Timeline

I would get the shot. Better to be safe than sorry. This is not the time for bravado.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the advise. When I went last time they asked me for my yellow card I had no idea what they were talking about then they just walked away so I guess they meant shot record. I will call the Health Department in the morning and make an appointment I cant remember the last time I had any shots so I will probably be a pin cushion but whatever it takes in 4 weeks I will get 2 weeks with my husband and that is all that matters to me. Thanks again...

event.png

event.png

Timeline

If your not a fan of shots, then ask if you can take it in pill form, and the typhoid was pills that I had to take four days before I travelled. I stuck to bottled (Eva)water for the entire trip. Stay safe, and enjoy your trip.

Timeline

The travel doc gives you a yellow card and all of your vaccinations should be recorded on it and kept with your passport. I took malarone pills for malaria (forgot to continue the pills after my 2nd trip and got paranoid because my energy level dropped.) Take every shot and pill that is advised by CDC.

I took two Britta single water bottles with me in my carry on. No matter where I got the water from, I put it in the bottle and drank out of it the entire time. No problems because it filtered up to 120 bottles of water for the one filter.

Just don't forget to run one bottle of water through before drinking the first one. I, of course, gave the second one to my hubby. He loved it so much I had to leave mine too.

Filed: Timeline

I took two Britta single water bottles with me in my carry on. No matter where I got the water from, I put it in the bottle and drank out of it the entire time. No problems because it filtered up to 120 bottles of water for the one filter.

Just don't forget to run one bottle of water through before drinking the first one. I, of course, gave the second one to my hubby. He loved it so much I had to leave mine too.

Does this include bottled water also? What about water from the well?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.