SKingy1

Oath Question

6 posts in this topic

I just want to know if the oath can be modified and if this causes problems on the day when going for the interview and civics test.

Thanks

Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I just want to know if the oath can be modified and if this causes problems on the day when going for the interview and civics test.

Thanks

Yes, it can be modified under certain circumstances...

Check out page 8 of the document in the link: http://www.uscis.gov...le/chapter5.pdf

Waiver or Modification of the Oath of Allegiance. In certain circumstances there can be a modification or waiver of the Oath of Allegiance. These circumstances are as follows:

• If you are unable or unwilling to promise to bear arms or perform noncombatant service because of religious training and belief, you may request to leave out those parts of the oath. USCIS may require

you to provide documentation from your religious organization explaining its beliefs and stating that you are a member in good standing.

• If you are unable or unwilling to take the oath with the words “on oath” and “so help me God” included, you must notify USCIS that you wish to take a modified Oath of Allegiance. Applicants are

not required to provide any evidence or testimony to support a request for this type of modification. See 8 CFR 337.1(b).

• USCIS can waive the Oath of Allegiance when it is shown that the person’s physical or developmental disability, or mental impairments, makes them unable to understand, or to communicate an understanding of, the meaning of the oath. See 8 USC 337.

Good luck!

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yes, it can be modified under certain circumstances...

Check out page 8 of the document in the link: http://www.uscis.gov...le/chapter5.pdf

Waiver or Modification of the Oath of Allegiance. In certain circumstances there can be a modification or waiver of the Oath of Allegiance. These circumstances are as follows:

• If you are unable or unwilling to promise to bear arms or perform noncombatant service because of religious training and belief, you may request to leave out those parts of the oath. USCIS may require

you to provide documentation from your religious organization explaining its beliefs and stating that you are a member in good standing.

• If you are unable or unwilling to take the oath with the words “on oath” and “so help me God” included, you must notify USCIS that you wish to take a modified Oath of Allegiance. Applicants are

not required to provide any evidence or testimony to support a request for this type of modification. See 8 CFR 337.1(b).

• USCIS can waive the Oath of Allegiance when it is shown that the person’s physical or developmental disability, or mental impairments, makes them unable to understand, or to communicate an understanding of, the meaning of the oath. See 8 USC 337.

Good luck!

:yes::thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

IR5 For Parent

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Those modifications are just what I was concerned about as a member of a religious organization where my beliefs conflict with bearing arms. My husband and I are both conscientious objectors and he would be the one taking the naturalization oath. When I was reading through the application, I saw the oath for the first time and got concerned about it. Now I see that all I need to do is get a letter of explanation from my pastor for my DH's beliefs about bearing arms. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I believe saying no it's not going to matter in the event of an armed conflict on US soil. The law can be amended anytime and anyone can be conscripted and called to arms, women and child, elderly or not.

I'm just saying this seeing the rate at which our rights are being stripped away.

[Timeline]

10/13/2012 -> N-400 filed

10/19/2012 -> Check cashed

10/22/2012 -> NOA #1 letter received

10/25/2012 -> NOA #2 letter received

11/15/2012 -> Biometrics appointment

11/19/2012 -> Placed in line for interview

01/03/2013 -> Interview letter

02/12/2013 -> Interview passed

02/12/2013 -> Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.