simpleflower

need your advice - lawyer issues

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I posted here a while ago and I was complaining about my lawyer not wanting to request an update on the status of my case.

Here's a quick remainder: I filed for the removal of conditions in april 2011 with the good faith marriage waiver, did my fingerprints in december 2011,

got RFE in march 2011 (my lawyer responded to it right away) and there has been no progress since then.

It's been 18 months since I filed for the removal of conditions and as you can imagine, tracking the "I-751 waivers timeline" topic on this forum makes me even more nervous, because everyone gets approved withing a normal processing time and it seems that they're not even using the attorney's help.

I've been sending a number of emails to my lawyer asking whether my case is ok and what is the current stage at which my case is being processed,

but it seems that the answer is always the same: "dont worry, everything will be ok". Like seriously?! I'm frustrated. I even asked him is it ok for me to ask the congressman to request the update on my behalf but my attorney hasn't answered that email. If I didn't pay him all the money, I'd consider hiring someone else.

From the other hand, he has a great reputation, answered the RFE right away and says there's nothing to expedite the I-751 process.

What do you all think? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks a lot.

Hi everyone,

I posted here a while ago and I was complaining about my lawyer not wanting to request an update on the status of my case.

Here's a quick remainder: I filed for the removal of conditions in april 2011 with the good faith marriage waiver, did my fingerprints in december 2011,

got RFE in march 2011 (my lawyer responded to it right away) and there has been no progress since then.

It's been 18 months since I filed for the removal of conditions and as you can imagine, tracking the "I-751 waivers timeline" topic on this forum makes me even more nervous, because everyone gets approved withing a normal processing time and it seems that they're not even using the attorney's help.

I've been sending a number of emails to my lawyer asking whether my case is ok and what is the current stage at which my case is being processed,

but it seems that the answer is always the same: "dont worry, everything will be ok". Like seriously?! I'm frustrated. I even asked him is it ok for me to ask the congressman to request the update on my behalf but my attorney hasn't answered that email. If I didn't pay him all the money, I'd consider hiring someone else.

From the other hand, he has a great reputation, answered the RFE right away and says there's nothing to expedite the I-751 process.

What do you all think? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks a lot.

USCIS 1 800 375 5283 I think that is the number

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ddce0b89284a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ddce0b89284a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would make an infopass at your local USCIS office. Bypass the lawyer at this time. He obviously isn't working on your schedule. Bring along copies of all of the documents you have and be prepared to explain that your lawyer has not been forthcoming with any information and you are concerned with how long this is taking. At the very least the Immigration Officer should be able to look up your file on the computer and give you a status update. Bring your passport with you as well. If you have been waiting 18 months, then your extension letter is out of date and you can get a temporary I-551 stamp in your passport as proof that you still have legal status in the US.

Don't bother with calling the 1-800 number. That just goes to a Call Center where minimum wage employees read answers off of a script. They have no more access to any account information than you do on your own computer. They can file a service request to have someone look at your file or they can forward your call to a second tier Immigration Officer. I would say an in person visit if it is physically feasible for you would be a much more informative - and hopefully satisfying - experience.

You can make an infopass on the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov It should be the first option at the top of the page on the left hand side.

Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.