guest234

Tourist Visa for Sister from Pakistan

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi there!

I got married to a US citizen and moved here about 5 years ago. As of last year, I am officially a US Citizen. (Thanks to this board!) :)

I would like to invite my sister to visit me and my husband over winter break in December. She is happily married in Pakistan (also for 5 years now!), with no kids. They own a house and have other property as well. She does not work, only her husband does.

I know the main thing she has to show when applying for a visit visa is that she has ties and will return to Pakistan. So my question is: Would it be significantly easier for her to apply alone to visit? Her husband would like to come visit as well, but if that makes things much more difficult, then he's willing to skip the trip.

Also, should I send her any documentation? To show that she's coming to visit me, or anything?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

K3 Visa Process:

I130:

08/10 - Mailed to VSC

08/14 - Received by VSC

08/19 - Received NOA1 (I-797C)

12/13 - Approved!

12/18 - Received NOA2 (I-797C)

I129F:

08/22 - Mailed to Chicago

08/25 - Received by Chicago

09/02 - Received NOA1 (I-797C)

10/23 - Transferred to VSC

11/01 - Received by VSC

12/13 - Approved!

12/18 - Transferred to NVC, then to Embassy

02/01 - Received Packet 3

02/02 - Medical

02/06 - K3 Interview

02/14 - Received K3 Visa!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They apply separately, they could ask to be interviewed together.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

What does her husband do for a living? Do they live comfortably in Pakistan, does he have a long-term job contract? The embassy will most likely take a look at these factors when deciding to issue a tourist visa or not. If they aren't doing well in Pakistan, and her husband doesn't have a well-paying or stable job, its less likely that they will grant a tourist visa to both. They want to be absolutely sure that your sister and brother in law will return to Pakistan after their visit. Many tourist visas are denied to Pakistanis, because from the embassies point of view, many who apply are not living a great enough life in Pakistan to "resist" the urge to run away. My husband has been to the embassy twice and he says more than half the tourist visa applicants were denied both times he was there waiting for his own interview. He saw whole families applying, and (of course) many of them were denied because its easier to run away to a new country if you can bring the whole kit and kaboodle along. I'm not sure about your sister applying alone, but the embassy is well aware that in Pakistan, a wife is less likely to run away from a regular marriage (normal, non-abusive/crazy husband) and is more likely to return home, especially if she has children in Pakistan. But I can't say what her chances of approval are without details of their quality of life here. As for owning a house and property in Pakistan, this doesn't count as a strong tie, since they can be sold from abroad with the help of trusted family and friends, and also for a profit nearing US house and land prices (thanks to the ever increasing prices in Pakistan). Depending on how nice the house is, they could sell it and make enough money to buy a decent house in the US, so its not something with which to prove a STRONG tie to Pakistan.

I'd be glad to hear back from you if she receives that visa or not, as we intend to do the same for his sister in the future :)

Edited by Kyda

Timeline

My opinion is that since they have no children it is more likely that applying for both to come will lead to a denial. But if he has a great job here in Pakistan, they may have better chances (possible approval for both, with a good CO).

Edited by Kyda

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Sorry for the late response. We are still trying to decide what to do. They are quite well-off and live in a major city. Her husband has a good job (very high-level position), but it's not really full-time as their primary source of income is the property that they own and rent out. One thing I forgot to mention is that her husband has actually traveled before, and in fact completed his degree from England. Would that play a factor in making things easier?

Thanks for all your help! We will try to update you on how things go!

K3 Visa Process:

I130:

08/10 - Mailed to VSC

08/14 - Received by VSC

08/19 - Received NOA1 (I-797C)

12/13 - Approved!

I129F:

08/22 - Mailed to Chicago

08/25 - Received by Chicago

09/02 - Received NOA1 (I-797C)

10/23 - Transferred to VSC

11/01 - Received by VSC

12/13 - Approved!

12/18 - Transferred to NVC, then to Embassy

02/01 - Received Packet 3

02/02 - Medical

02/06 - K3 Interview

02/14 - Received K3 Visa!!!!!

Timeline

Yes the fact that he has gone to the UK and earned his degree there, then returned home to Pakistan should be a positive for the CO determining their case. They should both apply for the tourist visa; it seems their chances are decent that one or both will get the visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.