dreyes78

Visiting fiancée

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Personally, I would not put any mention of your fiancee in your visa application. I just don't see any upside for you, and potential downside for her. You don't want to put her on anyone's radar.

Back in 2005 my fiancee sent me 1 or 2 emails (out of hundreds) from her computer at work because her crappy dial-up interenet was down at home.

Two weeks after I visited, the KGB shows up in her office and grills her manager about me and her. They had all my particulars and itinerary in hand and asked about all kinds of questions.

Nothing came of it, other than paying like $10 for internet useage, but it was embarrassing, and made her private business public.

I wouldn't underestimate these guys, and what they can find out if they want to dig into it. And this regime is pretty distrustful of anyone from the West right now. I would not give them any reason to look harder at your fiancee.

Put "tourism". If they ask for an itinerary, tell that you have a guide, the schedule is flexible, but you want to see Mir Castle, the olympic training center (skiing and target shooting), and the war memorial museum. The first two are outside Minsk, the last is right downtown.

I always had business visas, so the invitation never raised any eyebrows. Not sure about personal ones. You will find most people in Belarus very welcoming.

Edited to say that this is an idea, but since I have no experience with anything other than business visas, please rely on those with experience as "tourists".

Personally, I would not put any mention of your fiancee in your visa application. I just don't see any upside for you, and potential downside for her. You don't want to put her on anyone's radar.

Back in 2005 my fiancee sent me 1 or 2 emails (out of hundreds) from her computer at work because her crappy dial-up interenet was down at home.

Two weeks after I visited, the KGB shows up in her office and grills her manager about me and her. They had all my particulars and itinerary in hand and asked about all kinds of questions.

Nothing came of it, other than paying like $10 for internet useage, but it was embarrassing, and made her private business public.

I wouldn't underestimate these guys, and what they can find out if they want to dig into it. And this regime is pretty distrustful of anyone from the West right now. I would not give them any reason to look harder at your fiancee.

There you go. You are a tourist. They may laugh at you in passport control, but the KGB probably won't chase you either. And another thing. Do not send money from America.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

There you go. You are a tourist. They may laugh at you in passport control, but the KGB probably won't chase you either. And another thing. Do not send money from America.

The KGB already talked to my wife months ago. If I was any kinda of threat to them, they would of picked me up back then or never gave me a visa. You really have nothing to worry about. There not after Americans or any other nationality. There not into plucking Americans off the streets for political gain. There fight is not with USC's, but with the EU trying to twist there arm to side with that pact. And I don't blame Belarus for resisting the EU pact. I wouldn't want some other country telling me you have to follow our ways or we sanction you. That's arm twisting if you ask me.

So, be honest and put down what your going there for. You don't want to get caught up in a lie. There not stupid, they already know why your going there way before you even leave the states.

Timeline

Why don't send money from America to there? I do that every month to help my wife with getting stuff ready for the baby. I haven't had no problems with that issue either. But I like to hear anything that may have cause you consern with that or if you had any problems with this issue.

Timeline

Why don't send money from America to there? ....

I'm guessing he said this because your fiancee would have to show her passport to collect money at Western Union, and her name goes on a list. If you send cash in a letter (and it doesn't get opened on the way) you are good to go.

The point of my post was not that I consider the KGB a threat to the USC, rather a warning not to bring unwelcome attention to the fiancee.

Timeline

I'm guessing he said this because your fiancee would have to show her passport to collect money at Western Union, and her name goes on a list. If you send cash in a letter (and it doesn't get opened on the way) you are good to go.

The point of my post was not that I consider the KGB a threat to the USC, rather a warning not to bring unwelcome attention to the fiancee.

I understand you. Well, she's a lawyer over there, so she's already has attention drawn on her (lol). Plus she's in very good standing with the athorities (police, KGB, and other wise). Really though, they know every move we make. I'm still learning there does and don'ts. I learn one thing, don't get in between the produce and a little old Bela-Russian woman in a grocery store (laughing). That woman wants her bananas? She will throw you to the side so quick and your just left with your mouth open wondering "####### just happend here" (laughing). That Woman had strength (laughing).

That's right. I don't know if there is any more to it than that now, but the person receiving used to have to deposit the money in the National Bank and fill out a form. Only if the transfer was from America. Again, I was there doing business, not meeting women, and it was some years ago. The Democracy in Belarus Act put me out of business.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

That's right. I don't know if there is any more to it than that now, but the person receiving used to have to deposit the money in the National Bank and fill out a form. Only if the transfer was from America. Again, I was there doing business, not meeting women, and it was some years ago. The Democracy in Belarus Act put me out of business.

I do western union every time. Had no problems her and I with this. I read some post on here about opening a joint account, but me here in the states and her still over there? I find it much easier to just WU her money and it's easier for me to stay on top of things. Plus, we don't know if we can trust the system over there with the type of money I make out here as a tug boat captain. I have allot of security safeguards tag to every thing in my life. You use my name on a computer? It sends me a message, you try to use my SSN? They call me, you try to find my bio info? ( the deeper stuff), agencies of various types call me or tacks me down. It's one of those things that because I work with high hazmat stuff out here, and with threats of terrorism in our world, it's a security blanket for my life in case the ####### hits the fan out here. And my bio got pulled (or tried to get pulled) 3 days before I went on my first trip to Minsk. That's how I know the KGB was doing there jobs. No problem. But, as for what was asked in this forum about what to put on why our going there, I surgest just the plain truth because if you get caught in a lie, then there's no trust, but if you show your being honest? Then they know your being truthful because 9 out of 10, they know what your going there for. When we do our visa with washington, and they send our paper works to there embassy in Washington, they do there checks before the decide to give a visa. You get a visa? Your ok, they don't give you a visa? Something triggered there red flag alert. Just something to think about.

I do western union every time. Had no problems her and I with this. I read some post on here about opening a joint account, but me here in the states and her still over there? I find it much easier to just WU her money and it's easier for me to stay on top of things. Plus, we don't know if we can trust the system over there with the type of money I make out here as a tug boat captain. I have allot of security safeguards tag to every thing in my life. You use my name on a computer? It sends me a message, you try to use my SSN? They call me, you try to find my bio info? ( the deeper stuff), agencies of various types call me or tacks me down. It's one of those things that because I work with high hazmat stuff out here, and with threats of terrorism in our world, it's a security blanket for my life in case the ####### hits the fan out here. And my bio got pulled (or tried to get pulled) 3 days before I went on my first trip to Minsk. That's how I know the KGB was doing there jobs. No problem. But, as for what was asked in this forum about what to put on why our going there, I surgest just the plain truth because if you get caught in a lie, then there's no trust, but if you show your being honest? Then they know your being truthful because 9 out of 10, they know what your going there for. When we do our visa with washington, and they send our paper works to there embassy in Washington, they do there checks before the decide to give a visa. You get a visa? Your ok, they don't give you a visa? Something triggered there red flag alert. Just something to think about.

I think those are some good points, from a guy with recent experience.

You are right not to wire money from your main account here, or any account connected to it. The account suggestions were probably to reduce the transfer expenses, depending on what you send. I have suggested (for Ukraine if I recall) opening a separate account (like we did) that has no fee, and a debit card that has no fee if you can find one. Most european banks don't seem to charge fees for withrawals, so you get a $2 fee from the American bank plus a currency conversion fee (so $5 or $6 for say, a $300 transfer). Cheaper than WU. MoneyGram is cheaper too, but they had no MoneyGram in Minsk last time I was there. It can be your account - not joint - and she has your debit card. I think the government only cares about two things: first, that you are not financing anything illegal, like the opposition, and second, that you are not repatriating dollars. The second is why you have to show your passport if you convert rubles to dollars before you leave.

All this assumes that you are at a certain point in the relationship. My wife refused to accept money or even talk about finances until she was here. Every relationship is different, but I wouldn't recommend a monthly stipend early on. Each to their own.

I have also had my visa request held by our government on the way to the Embassy of Belarus. Two weeks where it was unavailable on the UPS system, no explanation. Our government does some screeneing too :lol: . My suggestion about not disclosing that you are in Belarus (or anywhere else) on some sort of a wife hunt is just common sense. I was mostly joking about the KGB caring about that especially. In many places, telling the customs people you are on a romance tour, or meeting women on your own identifies you as a sucker. Law enforcement and customs are entrepenurial activities in many places, and you just don't want to be identified as a target before you leave the airport. Now there isn't a huge tourist industry in Belarus that I know of, so they would probably guess that tourist is code for something, but I doubt they would waste much time on it, so long as you don't seem to be connected to a government, andf aren't a journalist.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I think those are some good points, from a guy with recent experience.

You are right not to wire money from your main account here, or any account connected to it. The account suggestions were probably to reduce the transfer expenses, depending on what you send. I have suggested (for Ukraine if I recall) opening a separate account (like we did) that has no fee, and a debit card that has no fee if you can find one. Most european banks don't seem to charge fees for withrawals, so you get a $2 fee from the American bank plus a currency conversion fee (so $5 or $6 for say, a $300 transfer). Cheaper than WU. MoneyGram is cheaper too, but they had no MoneyGram in Minsk last time I was there. It can be your account - not joint - and she has your debit card. I think the government only cares about two things: first, that you are not financing anything illegal, like the opposition, and second, that you are not repatriating dollars. The second is why you have to show your passport if you convert rubles to dollars before you leave.

All this assumes that you are at a certain point in the relationship. My wife refused to accept money or even talk about finances until she was here. Every relationship is different, but I wouldn't recommend a monthly stipend early on. Each to their own.

I have also had my visa request held by our government on the way to the Embassy of Belarus. Two weeks where it was unavailable on the UPS system, no explanation. Our government does some screeneing too :lol: . My suggestion about not disclosing that you are in Belarus (or anywhere else) on some sort of a wife hunt is just common sense. I was mostly joking about the KGB caring about that especially. In many places, telling the customs people you are on a romance tour, or meeting women on your own identifies you as a sucker. Law enforcement and customs are entrepenurial activities in many places, and you just don't want to be identified as a target before you leave the airport. Now there isn't a huge tourist industry in Belarus that I know of, so they would probably guess that tourist is code for something, but I doubt they would waste much time on it, so long as you don't seem to be connected to a government, andf aren't a journalist.

Good point on all you said. I put this out here, I send $1,000 a month to my wife so she can get things ready for the birth of our child. I never ran into no trouble. I didn't meet her on no ramance tour either. I was very nervous the first time I was there (to the point my head be snapping around every 30 seconds in paranoia, laughing). The only times I had People look at me funny is when I flew out of Vienna. They all rush that plane to get good seats as I just took my time getting from shuttle bus to plane in 20 dagree chill. I was way off the beaten path because I was dress with a base ball cap and jeans while everybody else was dress like there going to a family wedding or something (lol). At Minsk when you go upstairs to get the insurence before going to through the check point for passports? That kinda old blond headed woman was cold faced, cold talking, no smiling, do my job and the heck with you kinda woman (laughing), she talked English and I finally got a smile from her after I paid up (lol). The rest going through that blocked off area before getting to the front loby kinda freaked me out. I had them repeat themselves at least 5 times so I understand what they was asking. I thought "oh #######, they think I'm starting trouble, going to jail" (lol). Nope, just gave up on the dumb American and let me through (laughing). I got allot of funny moment there. I couldnt find how to flush a tiolet one time (laughing). But after that it was like being normal out of town guess. This will be my fourth visit and this time I finally can see my new born daughter. But, if there's anything else I need to watch out for? Do tell please because I'm not there to go against the grain, just want to visit my wife and child and work on the paper work to get her here later on.

Chad

Good point on all you said. I put this out here, I send $1,000 a month to my wife so she can get things ready for the birth of our child. I never ran into no trouble. I didn't meet her on no ramance tour either. I was very nervous the first time I was there (to the point my head be snapping around every 30 seconds in paranoia, laughing). The only times I had People look at me funny is when I flew out of Vienna. They all rush that plane to get good seats as I just took my time getting from shuttle bus to plane in 20 dagree chill. I was way off the beaten path because I was dress with a base ball cap and jeans while everybody else was dress like there going to a family wedding or something (lol). At Minsk when you go upstairs to get the insurence before going to through the check point for passports? That kinda old blond headed woman was cold faced, cold talking, no smiling, do my job and the heck with you kinda woman (laughing), she talked English and I finally got a smile from her after I paid up (lol). The rest going through that blocked off area before getting to the front loby kinda freaked me out. I had them repeat themselves at least 5 times so I understand what they was asking. I thought "oh #######, they think I'm starting trouble, going to jail" (lol). Nope, just gave up on the dumb American and let me through (laughing). I got allot of funny moment there. I couldnt find how to flush a tiolet one time (laughing). But after that it was like being normal out of town guess. This will be my fourth visit and this time I finally can see my new born daughter. But, if there's anything else I need to watch out for? Do tell please because I'm not there to go against the grain, just want to visit my wife and child and work on the paper work to get her here later on.

Chad

I was laughing while reading your post. The first time I ran into the in-the-floor trench toilet, I was pretty surprised. I used to pass through the airport without getting insurance. When I registered at the militsia station (with my landlady filling out forms) they would just sell it to me there. You are way past the point I was talking about - sending money. When I was last in Minsk, all medical care was free, and my ex made about $400+ per month. She was making more than most I think. Rent in the university district was about $250 for three rooms (for her).

You might want to look into the free account/ATM card. It may save you some fees, and any hassle she gets for the transfers. You probably already know the basics about travel there, don't say anything negative about the government in public, don't be critical of the President (even on the land line phone), etc. I am sure your wife has you covered buying things. I hired a driver rather than take taxis, and my partners initially provided an interpreter. Again, the wife would cover you better anyway :lol: .

I used to bank in Vilnius, Lithuania to avoid sending money back and forth from America. Vilnius is a decent place for a vacation after the baby comes, whenever your wife will agree to go :lol: . PM me if you want to know more about the place, I am happy to share, and it is a place you can both get in easily. Any EU country will let you in, and they give folks from Belarus a visa at the border. You can take a train or bus (4-6 hours depending). The last time I went, I took a train. The train was full of Kazaki workers returning from Moscow, drinking, singing, and having a great time. When they stripped down to sleep and were walking around the train in their underwear it was a little weird though. When we crossed the border on the way back, the passport control lady brought a train conductor to translate for me. I thought I was in trouble too. She asked if I had any appliances with me. I blinked a couple of times, and said "yes, I have a microwave oven in the overhead, and a refrigerator under my seat". The translator paused, then smiled like a hyena while she translated. The Kazaks screamed laughter, and the passport woman blushed red and started yelling at me - explaining what appliance means (walkman, cell phone, etc.). Good times.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I was dress with a base ball cap and jeans while everybody else was dress like there going to a family wedding or something (lol).

... But, if there's anything else I need to watch out for? ...

IMHO, I would suggest trying to blend in a little bit more (the whole don't draw attention thing).

I know I didn't pass for Russian in slacks and sport coat -- I'm 6'-1", 250 lbs. and I dont wear pointy shoes. But it's one thing to look out of place on closer inspection, and another to sport a look that screams AMERIKANITS!

And who knows, you're finance may like it if you dress a little nicer.

Timeline

IMHO, I would suggest trying to blend in a little bit more (the whole don't draw attention thing).

I know I didn't pass for Russian in slacks and sport coat -- I'm 6'-1", 250 lbs. and I dont wear pointy shoes. But it's one thing to look out of place on closer inspection, and another to sport a look that screams AMERIKANITS!

And who knows, you're finance may like it if you dress a little nicer.

Yeah, my wife from there kinda jumps on that issue too, but some habits are hard to break. I don't like dress shoes, I love my tennis shoes. This pass winter, I wore my flying boots ( which there like the military version of hiking boots that I use when I'm ferrying airplanes around the states) over there, they was warm and she climb all over my tail feathers (laughing). I'm not much on fades and fashion. But, they way she dresses everyday (all the gals there), I ammit, I don't fit in, so I have to pipe down, give in and buy the elf shoes I guess (laughing). I'm sorry, I'm that T-shirt, tennis shoes, baseball cap kinda guy (laughing).

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

You don't have to go all pointy-shoes, just upgrade your usual. Get well-fitting dark denim jeans, sneakers that aren't for the gym, and, well, baseball caps can't REALLY be salvaged for men over 30, unless you're a movie star and get a designer one and pair it with some aviators, I guess. Trade in your old ratty tshirt for something slimmer fitted, maybe from j crew, and a vneck cashmere sweater. A little more GQ, less Golf Digest.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

I was laughing while reading your post. The first time I ran into the in-the-floor trench toilet, I was pretty surprised. I used to pass through the airport without getting insurance. When I registered at the militsia station (with my landlady filling out forms) they would just sell it to me there. You are way past the point I was talking about - sending money. When I was last in Minsk, all medical care was free, and my ex made about $400+ per month. She was making more than most I think. Rent in the university district was about $250 for three rooms (for her).

You might want to look into the free account/ATM card. It may save you some fees, and any hassle she gets for the transfers. You probably already know the basics about travel there, don't say anything negative about the government in public, don't be critical of the President (even on the land line phone), etc. I am sure your wife has you covered buying things. I hired a driver rather than take taxis, and my partners initially provided an interpreter. Again, the wife would cover you better anyway :lol: .

I used to bank in Vilnius, Lithuania to avoid sending money back and forth from America. Vilnius is a decent place for a vacation after the baby comes, whenever your wife will agree to go :lol: . PM me if you want to know more about the place, I am happy to share, and it is a place you can both get in easily. Any EU country will let you in, and they give folks from Belarus a visa at the border. You can take a train or bus (4-6 hours depending). The last time I went, I took a train. The train was full of Kazaki workers returning from Moscow, drinking, singing, and having a great time. When they stripped down to sleep and were walking around the train in their underwear it was a little weird though. When we crossed the border on the way back, the passport control lady brought a train conductor to translate for me. I thought I was in trouble too. She asked if I had any appliances with me. I blinked a couple of times, and said "yes, I have a microwave oven in the overhead, and a refrigerator under my seat". The translator paused, then smiled like a hyena while she translated. The Kazaks screamed laughter, and the passport woman blushed red and started yelling at me - explaining what appliance means (walkman, cell phone, etc.). Good times.

Do the girls strip down to there underwear also like the guys?? If so? It's time for a train ride (lol). As for as Lithuania? She always tells me she wants to bring me there. I think I might make a plan to do that before winter really starts over there. I like seeing Minsk on the outskirts of town. Beautiful place to see in the fall and summer from my opinion. Oh, we was shopping in town my wife and I when I had to pee. She pointed to a door at a building that didn't look like much, gave me a few dollars to pay the lady ???? Wait, back up, PAY THE LADY INSIDE???? With a very worried, but funny face looking at her I had asked "is this lady going to watch me pee?" what's a lady doing in.......? I stopped right there and thought to myself "I GOT TO SEE THIS". Walked in, gave the little old lady some money, went to the cubical door, open the door, "WHADA YA KNOW, there's and hole in then floor. Where's the toilet?". Letting my brain cells comput what my eyes was seeing, I went to the other door. Surly there must be a toilet in there?, open door, like I'm waiting for Freddy Kruger to jump out at me, HA HA HA, Another hole in the floor !! But this time I was giggling to myself (Naaaa, the little old lady heard me and saw me freaking out,lol). Oh well, let's see if my aim is any good, MISSED THE FIRST SHOT BY INCHES DAMN IT !!! (laughing). My wife was waiting outside and when I come out, she knew by the look of my face I was confussed at what I seen I there (lol). Se couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes. IS WAS A SET UP !!! (laughing). Another funny issue of my stepson picking on the dumb American, before we was married, Lena and I and her son met with her X (my stepsons father) at a very nice Italian place (which they have damn good pizza), her son taught me how to say something in Russian that will impress his pa pa when we meet. Well, he don't speak or understand English, Lena will have to interpret for us, but her son does know how to speak and understand english and I never told Lena that her son taught me something to say to his dad, so, she wasn't aware what was about to come out my mouth. Now, let me set the stage for this. This guy is a business man, he handles himself very proffetional and he's like "deviair" by the way he handles himself. We're sitting down eating and after a little bit of conversation between Lena and her X, I blurted out what her son taught me to say in Russian. If you could of seen the look on his face after. I thought I told the man something to the like "please to meet you, and blah blah blah. But what the little danker bell taught me is something like "hey, I love you man, want to blah blah blah". The minute I said this, her son started laughing, my lady gasp, her X still looking at me like I'm gay or something, and I'm just sitting there with this dumb look thinking," oh #######, I'm going to jail" (laughing). I'm so glad her X had a since of humor and they both knew where I learned to say what I did (laughing). The kid is very smart and has a very good since of humor like me. I can se it now, we're going to torment each other in the months ahead (laughing). We still laugh at that today her X and me when we see each other. So, I learned my lesson, no taking russian listens from a 12 year old kid over there (lol).

Chad

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.