Jeff and Hanh

2 questions

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok sent in my forms, got the noa-1 e-mail today waiting on the noa-1 paper.

But have a couple questions

1)I-134 Affidavit of Support- I was a civialian working in Afganistan until July 15th, my contract ended and I came home got the paperwork done and sent off. But I am unemployed at this time, and lets face it jobs are a bit scarce. now I already made over 43,000 this year not counting 11,000 I'm getting back from taxes. Made over 50,000 last year, and have made more then this years required 125% of poverity, for over ten years. For yearly income I put 40k which was less then my 5 year average, I have pay stubbs to prove this years wages, and tax returns for 10 years that are above 125% of this years poverty scale, but no current job so can't get a letter from my employer. Do I need a co-sponser, or what, I suppose I could get job at like Mcdonalds just to get the letter but that seems silly. I also get unemployment at the this time.

2) What else will be required for me to do from home, I want to go stay with my fiancee would love to stay until I can bring her home but its going to be to long of a wait, so will go visit for a month (unless I can find work there) and come back then fly back when she is ready for her interveiw and bring her home. She wants me to bring her home! But I want to spend as much time as possable with her, but don't want to get over there and have to fly back just to do more paperwork. So when is it safe to go? Or when is a just sit around and wait time where you won't be asked for additional paperwork.

Unless you're using savings or other assets, you'll most likely want to show on the I-134 current income at or above the 125% level when it comes time for your fiancée's interview. If you just sent off the petition package, you will have several months until the package is adjudicated and transferred to the embassy/consulate level, so in theory, you could look for a new job now.

However, if you do decide to live with your fiancé, then you should check the embassy/consulate reviews for VN to see how they feel about co-sponsors. Also, if you opt to live abroad, be sure to have someone who can retrieve your mail. USCIS doesn't forward. If you unfortunately receive an RFE, you'll need the snail-mail letter to know what additional information/evidence the adjudicator is seeking. Good luck!

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

Unless you're using savings or other assets, you'll most likely want to show on the I-134 current income at or above the 125% level when it comes time for your fiancée's interview. If you just sent off the petition package, you will have several months until the package is adjudicated and transferred to the embassy/consulate level, so in theory, you could look for a new job now.

However, if you do decide to live with your fiancé, then you should check the embassy/consulate reviews for VN to see how they feel about co-sponsors. Also, if you opt to live abroad, be sure to have someone who can retrieve your mail. USCIS doesn't forward. If you unfortunately receive an RFE, you'll need the snail-mail letter to know what additional information/evidence the adjudicator is seeking. Good luck!

Hmmm, I guess I can't get away from this letter thing, I make more money then most of my family and friends so don't know who to get to co-sponser her. Guess I will get a low paying job just so I can get the letter, and not go see her :-( She is going to be bummed, oh well will figure something out. Wonder if a letter from the Union Hall would work, I don't work for one company anyway, but they are Union companies.

Timeline

Hmmm, I guess I can't get away from this letter thing, I make more money then most of my family and friends so don't know who to get to co-sponser her. Guess I will get a low paying job just so I can get the letter, and not go see her :-( She is going to be bummed, oh well will figure something out. Wonder if a letter from the Union Hall would work, I don't work for one company anyway, but they are Union companies.

I'm thinking I made a mistake doing this, should have just married her in vietnam,wonder what vietnam citizenship requires.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm thinking I made a mistake doing this, should have just married her in vietnam,wonder what vietnam citizenship requires.

You sound like you have enough money to live in Vietnam for a few years. If you do go that route, you'd need a joint sponsor because the consulate is interested in your current income, not past.

You can also marry her in Vietnam and file I-130, but that would mean dealing with Vietnamese officials for your marriage certificate, and also with U.S. consulate when you file I-130.

Why do you want Vietnamese citizenship?

Timeline

You sound like you have enough money to live in Vietnam for a few years. If you do go that route, you'd need a joint sponsor because the consulate is interested in your current income, not past.

You can also marry her in Vietnam and file I-130, but that would mean dealing with Vietnamese officials for your marriage certificate, and also with U.S. consulate when you file I-130.

Why do you want Vietnamese citizenship?

Yeah I think I might go that route, unfortunatily they already cashed my check so thats 340 wasted, think I will need a co-sponser anyway because since I am a union worker even when working its job to job what company I work for so although I could get a company to say yes he works for me, but its not steady, I'm a carpenter and mostily build bridges and building, once the thing is built you get laid off and look for another job, might be the same company might not be, we have about 30 different companies we work with around here. Its different then most jobs where you work for the same company all the time. I have worked 2 years with one company, but also worked 2 weeks with a company because they just needed a little help.

As for the vietnamese citizenship, thats probebily not the right word, I just want to be with my fiancee and hopefully work a little over there while we wait on this. I was hoping I could just travel back and forth, but if I have to quit the union and get a regular less paying job just to get this letter I would rather be in Vietnam.

Timeline

Yeah I think I might go that route, unfortunatily they already cashed my check so thats 340 wasted, think I will need a co-sponser anyway because since I am a union worker even when working its job to job what company I work for so although I could get a company to say yes he works for me, but its not steady, I'm a carpenter and mostily build bridges and building, once the thing is built you get laid off and look for another job, might be the same company might not be, we have about 30 different companies we work with around here. Its different then most jobs where you work for the same company all the time. I have worked 2 years with one company, but also worked 2 weeks with a company because they just needed a little help.

As for the vietnamese citizenship, thats probebily not the right word, I just want to be with my fiancee and hopefully work a little over there while we wait on this. I was hoping I could just travel back and forth, but if I have to quit the union and get a regular less paying job just to get this letter I would rather be in Vietnam.

Oh and thank you both for the info!!!

Timeline

HCMC is one of the tougher consulates. Do some reading in the Vietnam regional forum to get a sense of what is needed. What "passes" in many other embassies won't do it here.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Oh and thank you both for the info!!!

The consulate would want to see proof of your income. Paystub, tax returns....etc....they're not concern with why you don't have it.

If you plan to marry her over there, make sure you know all the obstacles of filing for marriage certificate in Vietnam.

Timeline

HCMC is one of the tougher consulates. Do some reading in the Vietnam regional forum to get a sense of what is needed. What "passes" in many other embassies won't do it here.

Hey thanks for the links, I scanned them will read more but I didn't see anything about a letter from employer, like on the other website. The letter is my only problem I have already made more then the 125% of poverty limit this year and have pay stubs to prove it, and last 3 years I did also and have tax returns to prove that although I think I will get those IRS transcirpts instead.

My only problem was the letter from my employer!!! And think I will have the Union write some kind of letter too, it might help explain things.

I hope I read the links right because you just took a huge weight off my shoulder, we want to get married here, but I also want to go spend time with her in vietnam alot until she gets the visa. And she wants me to be there for the interveiw, although I think I read I can't go in with her.

Timeline

The consulate would want to see proof of your income. Paystub, tax returns....etc....they're not concern with why you don't have it.

If you plan to marry her over there, make sure you know all the obstacles of filing for marriage certificate in Vietnam.

I have pay stubs from this year showing I made more then required, but that job is over and I'm currentily unemployed, and wasn't wanting to look for new work because I want to go be with her, in vietnam.

I have tax returns going back to 1998 that show I made more then this years poverty level, and my 1997 was above that years poverty level.

Timeline

I have pay stubs from this year showing I made more then required, but that job is over and I'm currentily unemployed, and wasn't wanting to look for new work because I want to go be with her, in vietnam.

I have tax returns going back to 1998 that show I made more then this years poverty level, and my 1997 was above that years poverty level.

They usually ask for three most recent tax returns. Sometimes they ask for most recent paystubs. I'd seek a joint sponsor just in case.....

Timeline

Current and continuing income is what is required. You won't have that living in VN. K visa joint sponsors aren't always accepted in HCMC.

Past years' tax returns don't do much for you. It's what are you making now.

If you marry and apply for the spouse visa the joint sponsor is a more viable option as you will be using the I-864 rather than the I-134.

*Moved from K1 forum to Vietnam regional forum*

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Current and continuing income is what is required. You won't have that living in VN. K visa joint sponsors aren't always accepted in HCMC.

Past years' tax returns don't do much for you. It's what are you making now.

If you marry and apply for the spouse visa the joint sponsor is a more viable option as you will be using the I-864 rather than the I-134.

*Moved from K1 forum to Vietnam regional forum*

Ok well thanks I will tell my fiancee it just isn't going to happen, can you put this process on hold until I find a new career.

Timeline

Ok well thanks I will tell my fiancee it just isn't going to happen, can you put this process on hold until I find a new career.

Don't tell her that....let her go to the interview with your 2011, 2010, 2009 tax returns. That should be enough to prove on going income.

If they want more....give them your paystubs and tell em you're an independent contractor....if that fails....go to Vietnam....marry her and file for IR-1 Visa.

If you're married to a Vietnamese citizen, you can stay there as long as you want....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.