Emerald

Poverty guidelines and showing the money/Assests

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I thought a joint sponsor had to be related to you for some reason. Thats why i was stressing out big time as hubbies family really arn't that helpful or understanding of this process. They think it's a bit of a joke and the US gov will just accept waht you tell them.

This is a HUGE relief as we can rely on hubbies best mate and his wife rather then my SIL and BIL, or can we use both?

WIth a joint sponsor do you have to do the x 3 thing?

Thanks for your patience.

Where did my post get moved too????

Ah, well that *would* be a relief, to know that anyone who is willing and meets the requriements can be your Joint Sponsor.

So, you have a new candidate. :)

Get him a copy of the I-864 (send him the uscis.gov link) and have him start reading it.

If his income is sufficient for HIS household + you, you do not need an affidavit from the SIL/BIL crowd.

The 3X thinkg ONLY applies to you using your own assets. I would need to double check this, but I think you'll find that Joint Sponsors who want to use assets use 5X? At any rate, is Matey going to use Income or Assets?

PS: Your post was moved to the IR/CR Forum, which is a good place for it---more people to see it and contribute.

I just spoke to my hubbies best mates on the phone, but we have to call her back in an hour as the Dr was calling her as her kids are sick!!

Her and her husband are happy to joint sponsor me. They earn $20,000 each per year, and they have a morgage (yet to find out what the house is worth - what they owe on it) she will use this as an asset.

So to meet the poverty guidelines for 5 people is $29,250 (Best mate, mates wife, 2 x kids + me =5).

Now they earn $20,000 each, so does that mean that we have to make up the differance of the missiing amount per joint sponsor.

Ie: earn $20,000

so is it $29,250 - $20,000 = $9250

$9250 x 4 or 3??? gives me the differance in assets i need to show to help out.

Also if we have 2 joint sponsors only earning $20,000 each, do i have to show the differance in assets x 2.

Oh have a i confused anyone? Think i confused myself lol

Edited by Emerald

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Emerald,

A Joint Sponsor's household must be able to meet the financial requirements on its' own.

You can, however, have different Joint Sponsors for the different immigrants - one Joint Sponsor does not need to sponsor all 3 of you.

Yodrak

I just spoke to my hubbies best mates on the phone, but we have to call her back in an hour as the Dr was calling her as her kids are sick!!

Her and her husband are happy to joint sponsor me. They earn $20,000 each per year, and they have a morgage (yet to find out what the house is worth - what they owe on it) she will use this as an asset.

So to meet the poverty guidelines for 5 people is $29,250 (Best mate, mates wife, 2 x kids + me =5).

Now they earn $20,000 each, so does that mean that we have to make up the differance of the missiing amount per joint sponsor.

Also if we have 2 joint sponsors only earning $20,000 each, do i have to show the differance in assets x 2.

Timeline
Emerald,

A Joint Sponsor's household must be able to meet the financial requirements on its' own.

You can, however, have different Joint Sponsors for the different immigrants - one Joint Sponsor does not need to sponsor all 3 of you.

Yodrak

Yodrak,

So him and his wife won't meet the guidelines?

Are we better off getting just one of them, and then my BIL to do it? My bil apparently earns $30,000 USD with overtime, our friends earn $20,000USD each.

Or would we go with his mate that earns the $20,000USD and add his house as an asset?

Emerald,

The friend and his wife do meet the requirement, if they each earn $20,000 and they live in the same residence. The household income is $40,000.

So why did you do the math as $29,250 - $20,000 = $9,250 shortfall?

Yodrak

Emerald,

Yodrak

Yodrak,

So him and his wife won't meet the guidelines?

Are we better off getting just one of them, and then my BIL to do it? My bil apparently earns $30,000 USD with overtime, our friends earn $20,000USD each.

Or would we go with his mate that earns the $20,000USD and add his house as an asset?

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Emerald, now you are ready for the Advanced part. :P

Matey and Matey's wife live together, aka in the same houshold. They can combine their incomes by adding I-864A to their I-864 (it is attached in the download).

The Matey household annual income is now $40, 000.

They need to show annual income of $29,250, so they are clear. They do not need to include their home equity or other assets.

Your Hubby is going to complete an I-864 with his+yours assets value.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Emerald, now you are ready for the Advanced part. :P

Matey and Matey's wife live together, aka in the same houshold. They can combine their incomes by adding I-864A to their I-864 (it is attached in the download).

The Matey household annual income is now $40, 000.

They need to show annual income of $29,250, so they are clear. They do not need to include their home equity or other assets.

Your Hubby is going to complete an I-864 with his+yours assets value.

Y- i thought if they didn't meet the guidelines then i had to make up the differance x 3 in assests. Think i confused myself there.

Oh excellent Meauxna, so their income can be combined as they live in the same house!!!! I'm relieved. Thanks heaps for that i now can relax lol

Thanks guys for your patience and help.

Ok I have a question, I have enough income for the last two years but 2003 I did not make enough. i have changed my line of work 2 1/2 years ago and I am making good money now and I can get a letter from my employer that states I have a stable job and i have worked for him for 1 1/2 years. SO am I going to need a sponsor since in 2003 I didn't make enough. I have the transcripts from the IRS. Please any help is apprecaited.

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

a1angied,

You need to have an adequate income currently, and some indication that the current income is sustainable going forward.

Yodrak

Ok I have a question, I have enough income for the last two years but 2003 I did not make enough. i have changed my line of work 2 1/2 years ago and I am making good money now and I can get a letter from my employer that states I have a stable job and i have worked for him for 1 1/2 years. SO am I going to need a sponsor since in 2003 I didn't make enough. I have the transcripts from the IRS. Please any help is apprecaited.

Thank you so much for your help. I was hoping I could do it myself so I can use the EZ184. I am just getting really excited and I know I need to slow down as the process will wear me out. Thanks again!

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.