Emerald

Poverty guidelines and showing the money/Assests

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I have just found out that i can get 6months paid maternity leave from work, which means when i leave here for the USA i will be getting paid by my employer up untill september. I then will be on 2yrs unpaid after september.

We are hoping to go by June 07 if all goes well with the visa stuff. WE are hoping to move in with my parents for 5months b4 we leave to save more money.

My question is. By june we should have around $20,000 saved to go, will still have to sell up some stuff and add on the money we save by living at mums. Which once debst are paid up should be around $4000. We will get another $4000-$5000 in AUgust from taxes.

My question is......

Will the consulate take into consideration i'll be getting paid while in the USA by my employer of $2000 a month up till september. (in which i should have a job there if we go in June if the one with my BIL's family falls through). OUr BIL father who is going to employ hubby is going to send a letter to us stating his position and salary.

Do we have to show the consulate that we have $29.000 now before we go, or can we show that we have $20,000 now and are due to get another $8000, in taxes and savings, plus i will be paid $2000 a month for 6mnths.

We really want to fly over by june to settle as our eldest daughter will be in school in August for her first year in the USA. SO we want to be settled by then.

ANy help??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just found out that i can get 6months paid maternity leave from work, which means when i leave here for the USA i will be getting paid by my employer up untill september. I then will be on 2yrs unpaid after september.

We are hoping to go by June 07 if all goes well with the visa stuff. WE are hoping to move in with my parents for 5months b4 we leave to save more money.

My question is. By june we should have around $20,000 saved to go, will still have to sell up some stuff and add on the money we save by living at mums. Which once debst are paid up should be around $4000. We will get another $4000-$5000 in AUgust from taxes.

My question is......

Will the consulate take into consideration i'll be getting paid while in the USA by my employer of $2000 a month up till september. (in which i should have a job there if we go in June if the one with my BIL's family falls through). OUr BIL father who is going to employ hubby is going to send a letter to us stating his position and salary.

Do we have to show the consulate that we have $29.000 now before we go, or can we show that we have $20,000 now and are due to get another $8000, in taxes and savings, plus i will be paid $2000 a month for 6mnths.

We really want to fly over by june to settle as our eldest daughter will be in school in August for her first year in the USA. SO we want to be settled by then.

ANy help??

i'll be very interested to hear the outcome of this question----we have saved £5000 and i am entitled to a lump sum of £10,200 when i leave the UK, with a lifetime annual pension of £3500----all together, even with a bad exchange rate, this should cover us for the poverty guidelines, i think, if i'm reading things correctly...please correct me if i'm wrong!!!

anna

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I can't quite work out your dates, so I'm not sure if this helps. Also, if your figures are in US $$ or ?? And household size?

However, if you can document a source of income that will continue once you are in the US, that will be looked at favorably, but of course it will not be an ongoing income. So, it will be useful, I'm just not clear how at the moment.

The finances are accounted for until the visa interview, which is when you turn in the I-864 normally.

I do not think that future tax refunds will be counted in your favor.

i'll be very interested to hear the outcome of this question----we have saved £5000 and i am entitled to a lump sum of £10,200 when i leave the UK, with a lifetime annual pension of £3500----all together, even with a bad exchange rate, this should cover us for the poverty guidelines, i think, if i'm reading things correctly...please correct me if i'm wrong!!!

anna

Anna, your question is a little bit different. If you have your lump sum available to include on the I-864, you'll have left your position. Not sure if you want to do that before you get your visa. I do not know for certain what a ConOff would do with a future payment like that.

As for your lifetime annual pension.. that might do something for you. My husband gets his pension *payments* monthly, that income follows him around the globe and it is income for the I-864 purposes. Since there are different terminologies, you might want to clarify what you mean by that sum, and how it will be dispersed.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
I can't quite work out your dates, so I'm not sure if this helps. Also, if your figures are in US $$ or ?? And household size?

However, if you can document a source of income that will continue once you are in the US, that will be looked at favorably, but of course it will not be an ongoing income. So, it will be useful, I'm just not clear how at the moment.

The finances are accounted for until the visa interview, which is when you turn in the I-864 normally.

I do not think that future tax refunds will be counted in your favor.

anna

Anna, your question is a little bit different. If you have your lump sum available to include on the I-864, you'll have left your position. Not sure if you want to do that before you get your visa. I do not know for certain what a ConOff would do with a future payment like that.

As for your lifetime annual pension.. that might do something for you. My husband gets his pension *payments* monthly, that income follows him around the globe and it is income for the I-864 purposes. Since there are different terminologies, you might want to clarify what you mean by that sum, and how it will be dispersed.

Sorry my money is Australian dollars. Is the $29,000 supposed to be in US Dollars. God thats so freaking hard.......how do they expect you to come up with that...

Our house hold size will be 5 ( 3 kids USC and 2 adults, me and hubby the USC)

Our dates.

We want to be in the USA by June 2007, we will probalby only have $24.000 AUSSIE by march, plus whatever we can sell and save. We are due for another lump sum of $4000 approximatly, maybe more in August/September from our taxes. I get paid maternity leave of $2000 a month for 6months. Starting in march, ending in September.

HOpe that helps. if you need more let me know. This is the part thats freaking us out as we just can't rely on hubbies famly for co-sponsorship.

Timeline
Sorry my money is Australian dollars. Is the $29,000 supposed to be in US Dollars. God thats so freaking hard.......how do they expect you to come up with that...

Our dates.

We want to be in the USA by June 2007, we will probalby only have $24.000 AUSSIE by march, plus whatever we can sell and save. We are due for another lump sum of $4000 approximatly, maybe more in August/September from our taxes. I get paid maternity leave of $2000 a month for 6months. Starting in march, ending in September.

HOpe that helps. if you need more let me know. This is the part thats freaking us out as we just can't rely on hubbies famly for co-sponsorship.

Yes, the poverty guidelines are for income in US dollars that will continue in the US. I notice that London often gives a bit of slack in this department, and I wonder if Sydney doesn't too, perhaps due to the English speaking you'll-get-employment-easier factor? (I don't necessarily agree that that theory is correct).

The poverty guideline for a family of 5 is $29250.. call it 30K. This number may go up effective April of 07, as it does every year.

To cover this with assets alone, you take 3X the PG or 30K X 3 = $90,000 USD in cash, or things of value that can become cash within 12 months. Often, this is real estate or some sort of investment account (stocks, mutual funds etc).

This money must be available and documented at the time the I-864 is submitted, and visas can not be issued without it.

I can not see how the future tax refud will be of any use to you for the I-864; I'm sure it will be a welcome how do you do when it arrives, however.

You will have a temporary income for a finite period of time; again, while it will be a nice pad in the bank account, I am unsure how Sydney will categorize it.

You will have USD cash in hand of about $18K, with 90K needed.

Any chance that Hubby could begin work (in some capacity) for BIL early? Will his annual salary be +30K?

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

Our dates.

Yes, the poverty guidelines are for income in US dollars that will continue in the US. I notice that London often gives a bit of slack in this department, and I wonder if Sydney doesn't too, perhaps due to the English speaking you'll-get-employment-easier factor? (I don't necessarily agree that that theory is correct).

The poverty guideline for a family of 5 is $29250.. call it 30K. This number may go up effective April of 07, as it does every year.

To cover this with assets alone, you take 3X the PG or 30K X 3 = $90,000 USD in cash, or things of value that can become cash within 12 months. Often, this is real estate or some sort of investment account (stocks, mutual funds etc).

This money must be available and documented at the time the I-864 is submitted, and visas can not be issued without it.

I can not see how the future tax refud will be of any use to you for the I-864; I'm sure it will be a welcome how do you do when it arrives, however.

You will have a temporary income for a finite period of time; again, while it will be a nice pad in the bank account, I am unsure how Sydney will categorize it.

Any chance that Hubby could begin work (in some capacity) for BIL early? Will his annual salary be +30K?

Why is it $90,000 i was told only $29,000 for the poverty guidelines was to be met, so how do you get $90,000 Thats just impossible.

We dont have that , we will just make the $29,000 in aussie

Timeline

Our dates.

Why is it $90,000 i was told only $29,000 for the poverty guidelines was to be met, so how do you get $90,000 Thats just impossible.

So how does it work if i can get his sister to co-sponsor me. how do we calcluate it then? She has herself, husband and 3 kids. If she co=sponsors how do we calculate the gudelines then?

Edited by Emerald

Timeline

So how does it work if i can get his sister to co-sponsor me. how do we calcluate it then? She has herself, husband and 3 kids. If she co=sponsors how do we calculate the gudelines then?

$90K is for a lump sum, also known as 'assets'. Please see the I-864 for the explanation.

$30K is for annual, ongoing income.

If sister wants to sponsor just YOU (kids and hub are USCs and don't need sponsoring) then Sis adds up her household, plus you. Her household is 5, plus you = 6. I-864P says her INCOME (or that of her AND her husband if he agrees) must be $33,500/year or better.

If she doesn't make that much on her own and husband agrees to put up his income for the paperwork, she and he would complete an I-864-A.

Have a download and read through the I-864 that's posted at uscis.gov--I think it will all make more sense then. :luv:

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

$90K is for a lump sum, also known as 'assets'. Please see the I-864 for the explanation.

$30K is for annual, ongoing income.

If sister wants to sponsor just YOU (kids and hub are USCs and don't need sponsoring) then Sis adds up her household, plus you. Her household is 5, plus you = 6. I-864P says her INCOME (or that of her AND her husband if he agrees) must be $33,500/year or better.

If she doesn't make that much on her own and husband agrees to put up his income for the paperwork, she and he would complete an I-864-A.

Have a download and read through the I-864 that's posted at uscis.gov--I think it will all make more sense then. :luv:

Oh i am freaking out now!!!! I don't know how to tell hubby this one, we thought it was only the $29,000 we needed.

Thanks for your help. With the co-sponsors though, do we have to show the $24.000 or near abouts that we have, plus what they have? Of do they just go off the co-sponsors.

There is no way hubby can go over before me, i'd have to take 3 kids on the plane....oh i am freaking out...

Off to find the 1-864 to read

Emerald,

Are you expecting now?

I have no idea if that will change your household size prior to the birth of the child. It might, if you are expecting.

If you're not expecting, then your household size is 5 according to your post.

You really have to take a look at the I-864. In another thread, I believe you said your husband's income was going to continue upon entering the United States. If his income will continue and is above the poverty guideline for your household size, then showing assets is just more proof that you will not become a public charge.

You need to determine a few things:

What's your husband's employment status going to be when he enters the United States?

Is that income above the poverty guideline for your household size?

What else can you show, in assets, to further prove that you, the immigrant, will not become a public charge?

Once you answer these questions, you'll have a clearer idea on what you may or may not need to do.

Why don't you do a trial run of the I-864 and see what it looks like?

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

April 15, 2006 - I-130 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

April 22, 2006 - I-130 returned to us (personal checks not acceptable)

April 24, 2006 - I-130 resubmitted with Credit Card Payment Form

June 14, 2006 - I-130 Approved

June 15, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

June 17, 2006 - DS 230 Part 1 & OF-169 mailed to the Consulate

June 26, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

June 27, 2006 - Medical Examination in Berlin

July 21, 2006 - Interview at Frankfurt Consulate

July 21, 2006 - Visa Approved!

August 22, 2006 - America!

July 26, 2008 - I-751 sent to VSC

August 1, 2008 - Check cashed

August 1, 2008 - NOA-1 received

September 9, 2008 - Biometics Appointment

March 12, 2009 - Transfer from VSC to CSC?

March 16, 2009 - Approved (10-year green card should be mailed within 60 days)

Timeline
Emerald,

Are you expecting now?

I have no idea if that will change your household size prior to the birth of the child. It might, if you are expecting.

If you're not expecting, then your household size is 5 according to your post.

You really have to take a look at the I-864. In another thread, I believe you said your husband's income was going to continue upon entering the United States. If his income will continue and is above the poverty guideline for your household size, then showing assets is just more proof that you will not become a public charge.

You need to determine a few things:

What's your husband's employment status going to be when he enters the United States?

Is that income above the poverty guideline for your household size?

What else can you show, in assets, to further prove that you, the immigrant, will not become a public charge?

Once you answer these questions, you'll have a clearer idea on what you may or may not need to do.

Why don't you do a trial run of the I-864 and see what it looks like?

1. Yes i'm expeting bub no 3 in march.

2. Our BIL father is going to give him a job that probably pays around $25,000 USD that will continue as long as my husband needs a job for, and BIL Father is the owner of the business and is happy to give hubby the job and write a supporting letter.

3. My income of $2000 a month will continue in the USA uptill september 2007, in which i then go to unpaid maternity leave for 2yrs b4 i have to resign from my job. My husband will get one pay of $3000 for the month we leave as he is planning on working upto 2 weeks before we leave.

4. Assests are $24,000 savings in a term deposit. Plus whatever we get for the car $2000, household furniture probably only around $2000, savings hopefully around $4000.

If we go in June 2007 , our accountants going to file our taxes for us in July/August and when we get them back we should get around $5000 maybe a bit less..BUt that we won't get until september when we are hopefully already there.

So all up we have so far $24,000 + hoping on $8000 extra b4 we go. I will get $2000 a month upto september, and taxes coming back for us should be another $5000 in september.

I fryed my brain before loooking it all up, i found the I-184 form guidelines, but where is the actual form\ to do a trial.

We have will have 3 kids by the time we go, so i say i'd have to put bub 3 on the form.

Timeline
Thanks for your help. With the co-sponsors though, do we have to show the $24.000 or near abouts that we have, plus what they have? Of do they just go off the co-sponsors.

If you have a Joint Sponsor (not "co") and their income and/or assets are sufficient (you shouldn't be submitting them if they are not sufficient), then it's OK for your own USC's I-864 to be 'insufficient'.

2. Our BIL father is going to give him a job that probably pays around $25,000 USD that will continue as long as my husband needs a job for, and BIL Father is the owner of the business and is happy to give hubby the job and write a supporting letter.

I fryed my brain before loooking it all up, i found the I-184 form guidelines, but where is the actual form\ to do a trial.

Again, can USC husband 'start' this job before he gets to the US? The employment letter will be good, but it is up to the Consular Officer to decide if that income can 'count'.

Start using US dollar figures, it will make life easier for everyone. The website xe.com is very fast and useful.

Get the latest I-864 here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-864.htm

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

If you have a Joint Sponsor (not "co") and their income and/or assets are sufficient (you shouldn't be submitting them if they are not sufficient), then it's OK for your own USC's I-864 to be 'insufficient'.

Again, can USC husband 'start' this job before he gets to the US? The employment letter will be good, but it is up to the Consular Officer to decide if that income can 'count'.

Start using US dollar figures, it will make life easier for everyone. The website xe.com is very fast and useful.

Get the latest I-864 here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-864.htm

No my hubby can't start the job before he gets there as its a physical job re-locating and setting up mobile homes.

I have to find out what my BIL is earning but i believe its around the $30,000 USD mark. The joint sponsors , They have a morgage of $56, 000 for a house they brought. Does this count if they owe on it? They have a camper worth $20,000USD they are paying off, does this count? Two cars and the land the house is on.

Yes it's hard re the employment letter, i've heard stories where it's accepted, stories where it's not.

Timeline

Debts do not factor in unless the item is being used as an asset, and then, seemingly only with real estate.

Did your husband have any comment on my question about the job?

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline
Debts do not factor in unless the item is being used as an asset, and then, seemingly only with real estate

bit confused here, if they are joint sponsoring, wouldn't they have to show assets and what they earn? The house would be an asset then, which they owe on. So would that count?

No he can't work before he gets there. He can go before us, but then i'd have 3 kids on my own on the plane, and he'd prefer to travel with me to help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.