Emerald

Poverty guidelines and showing the money/Assests

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Debts do not factor in unless the item is being used as an asset, and then, seemingly only with real estate

bit confused here, if they are joint sponsoring, wouldn't they have to show assets and what they earn? The house would be an asset then, which they owe on. So would that count?

No he can't work before he gets there. He can go before us, but then i'd have 3 kids on my own on the plane, and he'd prefer to travel with me to help.

Sorry I keep running in and out today...

If one wants to use real estate or any other asset that has a lien against it, you have to show the value of the item (appraisal or valuation) and the debt still owing (mortgage balance). The difference (equity) is the asset $$ amount.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Yes i'm expeting bub no 3 in march.

2. Our BIL father is going to give him a job that probably pays around $25,000 USD that will continue as long as my husband needs a job for, and BIL Father is the owner of the business and is happy to give hubby the job and write a supporting letter.

3. My income of $2000 a month will continue in the USA uptill september 2007, in which i then go to unpaid maternity leave for 2yrs b4 i have to resign from my job. My husband will get one pay of $3000 for the month we leave as he is planning on working upto 2 weeks before we leave.

4. Assests are $24,000 savings in a term deposit. Plus whatever we get for the car $2000, household furniture probably only around $2000, savings hopefully around $4000.

If we go in June 2007 , our accountants going to file our taxes for us in July/August and when we get them back we should get around $5000 maybe a bit less..BUt that we won't get until september when we are hopefully already there.

So all up we have so far $24,000 + hoping on $8000 extra b4 we go. I will get $2000 a month upto september, and taxes coming back for us should be another $5000 in september.

I fryed my brain before loooking it all up, i found the I-184 form guidelines, but where is the actual form\ to do a trial.

We have will have 3 kids by the time we go, so i say i'd have to put bub 3 on the form.

Emerald,

Congrats!

Poverty guideline for household size of 5 is $29,250.

Anyway, I think it may prove useful for your husband to establish his job in the United States first. That way, he'll have his employment letter and a few check stubs to show the Consular Officer. In that case, if he makes $25K, then you'd have to establish $15K in assets, which you have in savings. You can document your maternity leave deposits as well.

That's what I would do if I were in your situation. (And maybe your husband can take the kids with him ahead of time.)

Other than that, you'll definitely need a joint sponsor.

(And it's possible you'd need a joint sponsor for the above situation I outlined, but it is arguably less likely since he has a job and you have savings.)

In any case, you've got to prove to the Consular Officer that you will not become a public charge in the United States. In order to do that, you need to make your financial picture work for you. Because you have three kids to raise, you have more to prove.

Good luck!

--Z

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

April 15, 2006 - I-130 sent to Frankfurt Consulate

April 22, 2006 - I-130 returned to us (personal checks not acceptable)

April 24, 2006 - I-130 resubmitted with Credit Card Payment Form

June 14, 2006 - I-130 Approved

June 15, 2006 - Packet 3 Received

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

June 17, 2006 - DS 230 Part 1 & OF-169 mailed to the Consulate

June 26, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

June 27, 2006 - Medical Examination in Berlin

July 21, 2006 - Interview at Frankfurt Consulate

July 21, 2006 - Visa Approved!

August 22, 2006 - America!

July 26, 2008 - I-751 sent to VSC

August 1, 2008 - Check cashed

August 1, 2008 - NOA-1 received

September 9, 2008 - Biometics Appointment

March 12, 2009 - Transfer from VSC to CSC?

March 16, 2009 - Approved (10-year green card should be mailed within 60 days)

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

1. Yes i'm expeting bub no 3 in march.

2. Our BIL father is going to give him a job that probably pays around $25,000 USD that will continue as long as my husband needs a job for, and BIL Father is the owner of the business and is happy to give hubby the job and write a supporting letter.

3. My income of $2000 a month will continue in the USA uptill september 2007, in which i then go to unpaid maternity leave for 2yrs b4 i have to resign from my job. My husband will get one pay of $3000 for the month we leave as he is planning on working upto 2 weeks before we leave.

4. Assests are $24,000 savings in a term deposit. Plus whatever we get for the car $2000, household furniture probably only around $2000, savings hopefully around $4000.

If we go in June 2007 , our accountants going to file our taxes for us in July/August and when we get them back we should get around $5000 maybe a bit less..BUt that we won't get until september when we are hopefully already there.

So all up we have so far $24,000 + hoping on $8000 extra b4 we go. I will get $2000 a month upto september, and taxes coming back for us should be another $5000 in september.

I fryed my brain before loooking it all up, i found the I-184 form guidelines, but where is the actual form\ to do a trial.

We have will have 3 kids by the time we go, so i say i'd have to put bub 3 on the form.

Emerald,

Congrats!

Poverty guideline for household size of 5 is $29,250.

Anyway, I think it may prove useful for your husband to establish his job in the United States first. That way, he'll have his employment letter and a few check stubs to show the Consular Officer. In that case, if he makes $25K, then you'd have to establish $15K in assets, which you have in savings. You can document your maternity leave deposits as well.

That's what I would do if I were in your situation. (And maybe your husband can take the kids with him ahead of time.)

Other than that, you'll definitely need a joint sponsor.

(And it's possible you'd need a joint sponsor for the above situation I outlined, but it is arguably less likely since he has a job and you have savings.)

In any case, you've got to prove to the Consular Officer that you will not become a public charge in the United States. In order to do that, you need to make your financial picture work for you. Because you have three kids to raise, you have more to prove.

Good luck!

--Z

Z

The other poster said it was $90,000USD to prove? So is it $90,000 or $29,250?

This is where i am totally confused.....

Also if you get a joint sponsor, does that void out your savings, hubbies job money etc??

Edited by Emerald

Emerald,

There are a few scenarios that you could explore.

1:

Your husband moves to America before you do. He establishes his job there first. If he does that, then he'll have his employment letter and a few check stubs to show the Consular Officer. In that case, if he makes $25K, then you'd have to establish approximately $15K in assets, which you said you have in savings. You can document your maternity leave deposits as well.

The calculations are:

Household size of 5 = $29,250

Your husband makes = $25,000 per year

Difference: $4,250

$4,250 x 3 = $12,750 is what you'll need in assets to make up the difference.

2:

Your husband proves that you have about ($29,250 x 3) = $87,750 in assets as is required on the I-1864.

3:

You and your husband find a willing joint sponsor.

If I were you, I think I would try to secure a joint sponsor regardless of these scenarios. Your financial picture does not look all that good considering you have two kids and your new baby.

-Z

Edited by zauberblume

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

June 16, 2006 - OF-169 & Passport (Biographical Page Only) faxed to the Consulate

Timeline
Emerald,

1:

Your husband moves to America before you do. He establishes his job there first. If he does that, then he'll have his employment letter and a few check stubs to show the Consular Officer. In that case, if he makes $25K, then you'd have to establish approximately $15K in assets, which you said you have in savings. You can document your maternity leave deposits as well.

The calculations are:

2:

Your husband proves that you have about ($29,250 x 3) = $87,750 in assets as is required on the I-1864.

3:

If I were you, I think I would try to secure a joint sponsor regardless of these scenarios. Your financial picture does not look all that good considering you have two kids and your new baby.

-Z

Z

So a letter from his employer may or may not be accepted? So he's better off going to get his job first?

WIth the joint sponsor which i can probably get my SIL and BIL to do, does that void out all our assest money. Like i think he earns about $25,000 USD (my BIL). They have a house for $50,000 but not sure how much they owe. Two cars, a camper valued $20,000. I believe for 7 people (BIL, SIL & 4 x their kids +me) the poverty guidelines for them is $37,000 USD.

With his pay and the house/cars.camper as assets would that cover us for the poverty guidelines?

DO they also take into consideration our savings that we have? to go along with what money/assets our BIL SIL have?

I'm understanding it more the way you've explained it. Just not sure if we can combine all our money/assets etc to get us over the poverty guideline. IT definatly seems allot better/easier to get a joint sponsor.

Thanks

Edited by Emerald

Emerald,

1:

The calculations are:

2:

3:

-Z

Z

So a letter from his employer may or may not be accepted? So he's better off going to get his job first?

WIth the joint sponsor which i can probably get my SIL and BIL to do, does that void out all our assest money. Like i think he earns about $25,000 USD (my BIL). They have a house for $50,000 but not sure how much they owe. Two cars, a camper valued $20,000. I believe for 7 people (BIL, SIL & 4 x their kids +me) the poverty guidelines for them is $37,000 USD.

With his pay and the house/cars.camper as assets would that cover us for the poverty guidelines?

DO they also take into consideration our savings that we have? to go along with what money/assets our BIL SIL have?

I'm understanding it more the way you've explained it. Just not sure if we can combine all our money/assets etc to get us over the poverty guideline. IT definatly seems allot better/easier to get a joint sponsor.

Thanks

Emerald,

The letter from his future employer will likely be accepted.

Your assets are not totally void. You can present them at the interview to the Consular Officer as additional proof. Your husband will still have to fill out the I-864. You can try to convince the Consular Officer that your financial situation is not as bad as it seems. It is at his or her discretion to approve the Affidavit.

But, to be on the safe side, it is advisable to secure a joint sponsor.

According to the I-864, "You may use the assets of the intending immigrant regardless of where he or she resides. The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this form. Form I-864A is not required to document the intending immigrant's assets." I interpret that sentence to mean that you can combine your assets with that of the joint sponsor's. However, that is only my interpretation and you should read the instructions carefully to reach your own conclusion. You may want to call the Consulate and ask for an explanation as well.

It's the big picture that the Consular Officer is looking at. He or she wants adequate proof, based on your finances (or that of a joint sponsor), that you, as the immigrant, will not become a public charge in the United States.

As far as your joint sponsor's financials, I'm not particularly sure how to determine what they have and if it will be sufficient. You haven't provided enough information.

Read the I-864 and what it says about cars:

"Assets may supplement income if the consular or immigration officer is convinced that the monetary value of the asset could reasonably be made available to support the sponsored immigrant and converted to cash within one year without undue harm to the sponsor or his or her family members. You may not include an automobile unless you show that you own at least one working automobile that you have not included."

--Z

Edited by zauberblume

DCF (Germany)

April 7, 2006 - Married

Timeline

Emerald,

1:

The calculations are:

2:

3:

-Z

Z

Thanks

Emerald,

Your assets are not totally void. You can present them at the interview to the Consular Officer as additional proof. Your husband will still have to fill out the I-864. You can try to convince the Consular Officer that your financial situation is not as bad as it seems. It is at his or her discretion to approve the Affidavit.

According to the I-864, "You may use the assets of the intending immigrant regardless of where he or she resides. The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this form. Form I-864A is not required to document the intending immigrant's assets." I interpret that sentence to mean that you can combine your assets with that of the joint sponsor's. However, that is only my interpretation and you should read the instructions carefully to reach your own conclusion. You may want to call the Consulate and ask for an explanation as well.

It's the big picture that the Consular Officer is looking at. He or she wants adequate proof, based on your finances (or that of a joint sponsor), that you, as the immigrant, will not become a public charge in the United States.

As far as your joint sponsor's financials, I'm not particularly sure how to determine what they have and if it will be sufficient. You haven't provided enough information.

"Assets may supplement income if the consular or immigration officer is convinced that the monetary value of the asset could reasonably be made available to support the sponsored immigrant and converted to cash within one year without undue harm to the sponsor or his or her family members. You may not include an automobile unless you show that you own at least one working automobile that you have not included."

--Z

Thanks Z

I read the I-864 today, i'm going to speak to my SIL about joint sponsoring me and see what that say. She's our only hope as hubbies other relatives are a right off.....

Timeline

Emerald,

1:

The calculations are:

2:

3:

-Z

Z

Thanks

Emerald,

--Z

Thanks Z

I read the I-864 today, i'm going to speak to my SIL about joint sponsoring me and see what that say. She's our only hope as hubbies other relatives are a right off.....

Well i just spoke to my SIL and my BIL earns $33, 800 USD a year. They own both their cars one valued at $6000 one valued at $4000 and both are owned, paid up in full.

They are happy to joint sponsor us. With that and the savings we have will that be sufficient? Plus Hubbys job offer he'll only earn $18.000USD to start off with and the employer is happy to give him a letter.

Is this better for us? Get my BIL to joint sponsor me?

Timeline
Well i just spoke to my SIL and my BIL earns $33, 800 USD a year. They own both their cars one valued at $6000 one valued at $4000 and both are owned, paid up in full.

They are happy to joint sponsor us. With that and the savings we have will that be sufficient? Plus Hubbys job offer he'll only earn $18.000USD to start off with and the employer is happy to give him a letter.

hi again E,

What is BIL's household size? Him + his spouse +... not sure if it is the same person you spoke of before.

Use his household size + you and then look on the poverty guidelines to see if his inicome is sufficient.

They would probably not list their vehicles as assets if the income is sufficient.

Your savings can't be combined onto one document with them. You can only document what you have and make the best case you can, as z suggested before. But no, you can not add your asset value with their income/assets.

To clarify from earlier... please see that the amount of annual income one has to show is one thing... that comes from the poverty guidelines and that is where you got the $29000+ amount that you wanted to prove. You seemed unsure about the 90,000 figure I used when you were talking about your savings. The figure for assets is different than the annual income figure. Hopefully that is more clear to you now after reading the I-864 and z's explanation?

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

hi again E,

What is BIL's household size? Him + his spouse +... not sure if it is the same person you spoke of before.

Use his household size + you and then look on the poverty guidelines to see if his inicome is sufficient.

They would probably not list their vehicles as assets if the income is sufficient.

Your savings can't be combined onto one document with them. You can only document what you have and make the best case you can, as z suggested before. But no, you can not add your asset value with their income/assets.

To clarify from earlier... please see that the amouYour husband proves that you have about ($29,250 x 3) = $87,750 in assets as is required on the I-1864.

nt of annual income one has to show is one thing... that comes from the poverty guidelines and that is where you got the $29000+ amount that you wanted to prove. You seemed unsure about the 90,000 figure I used when you were talking about your savings. The figure for assets is different than the annual income figure. Hopefully that is more clear to you now after reading the I-864 and z's explanation?

Sorry that would help..... his household size is him+spouse+3kids (she is pregnant with number 4) so do i add number 4. bubs won't be born before we do the visa application. Will be due in June/July.

i read the I-864 and am still a bit confused at about the whole thing.... i don't know if i'm just stupid or totally missing it.

I don't get how you do this

where do you get the x 3 from? i can't see that anywhere on the form? I just get that the poverty guidelines say we have to prove $29,250 Thats it, so i am not getting how you come up with the figures

Sorry if i'm frustrating, i just can't get this in my head. And if my BIL can't sponsor us then i dont know what we are going to do if we have to get this $87,750 to prove,. Sorry this ist just so confusing.

Timeline

I-864 Basics

The I-864 Affidavit of Support is a contract between a sponsor and the applicant that is required for some immigrant visas. In this contract the sponsor agrees to provide financial support for the applicant until he/she becomes an American citizen or can be credited with 40 quarters of work (usually ten years). The sponsor must show that he/she has income equal to or greater than 125 percent of the federal poverty guidelines for his/her household size.

See Form I-864P for current Poverty Guidelines:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/for...iles/I-864p.pdf

There are two ways the US Citizen spouse can show that his/her intending immigrant (you) will not become a public charge:

-Sufficient annual income in the US

-Sufficient assets that can be converted to cash with 12 months

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1328.html

May the petitioner/sponsor count assets to meet the 125 percent minimum income requirement?

Yes. The sponsor counts his/her income first. Next he/she counts the personal assets and/or the income and assets of household members who have signed an I-864A. If, using all of those sources, the minimum income requirement is met, the affidavit would be "sufficient."

To be counted, the cash value of assets must equal five times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty line for the household size.

For example, a petitioner/sponsor with a household size of four and an income of $18,000 would need assets equal to five times the difference between his/her income and the income required for a family of four at the current federal poverty guidelines level. He/she would also need to show evidence of mortgages, liens, and liabilities against the assets.

Note from me:

This guideline was reduced further in July06. The cash value of assets must now only equal three times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty line.

Final Rule highlights:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4054

If you have zero income, the "difference" to make up is all of it; you must have assets that are 3X the poverty guideline INCOME amount.

Emerald, this is the difference between the $30k you think and the $90K I think.

Regarding your husband's employment letter:

Can a credible offer of employment for the visa applicant replace or supplement an insufficient Affidavit of Support?

No. The law does not allow for consideration of offers of employment in place of the I-864. A job offer may not be counted in reaching the 125 percent minimum income.

A job offer can be taken into consideration in determining the ability of the applicant to overcome an ineligibility on public charge grounds, but it does not meet any requirement for presenting an I-864

me: So, the letter will be useful to show you won't be bums, but can not be entered as income (unless of course he does already work there.....) on the I-864.

Is a "sufficient" I-864 the only consideration for meeting any public charge issues at the time of the visa interview?

No. Even though the I-864 is a contract and the U.S. government prohibits giving immigrants most federal means-tested public benefits for at least the first five years after their arrival in the U.S., consular officers look at other public charge issues. They will look at the complete financial situation of the sponsor and the applicant. This means looking at the age, health, education, skills, financial resources and family status of the applicant and the sponsor. They will confirm to the extent possible that the applicant will have adequate financial support and is not likely to become a public charge.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffair...eets/affaqa.htm

What is a joint sponsor?

A joint sponsor is a person who is not the petitioner for the sponsored immigrant but who meets the citizenship, residence, and age requirements and who meets the 125 percent minimum income requirement for his or her household size. Joint sponsors are permitted when the petitioner cannot meet the income requirements or has died before all family members have immigrated. Joint sponsors must accept joint legal responsibility for supporting sponsored immigrant(s) and reimbursing the cost of any means-tested public benefit used until the sponsored immigrants naturalize, can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work, depart the United States permanently, or die.

INCOME REQUIREMENTS

1. What does the requirement that the sponsor demonstrate the ability to maintain an income at 125 percent of the poverty level mean?

Sponsors will be judged on their ability to support the immigrants they are sponsoring at 125 percent of the poverty level for their household size based on the information they provide in the affidavit of support and accompanying documentation. This information must demonstrate that the sponsor and his or her household can reasonably be expected to maintain an income at or above the level required to provide for themselves and all immigrants they have sponsored or are sponsoring.

me: this means income, commonly known as 'a job'. Income and assets are different things.

7. Does a sponsor need to show proof of current employment?

A sponsor is not required to be employed, so long as the sponsor's income from sources other than employment, or the income of other qualifying persons in the household and/or assets are sufficient to reach or exceed the poverty line for the sponsor's household size. However, it is anticipated that in most cases the sponsor will need to be employed and show proof of employment to meet the income requirements.

20. How are assets used to demonstrate ability to sponsor an immigrant?

If a sponsor does not have sufficient income to meet the income requirement for the number of persons supported, he or she may list assets which are readily convertible to cash within one year for support of the sponsored immigrant(s). To qualify, the net worth of these assets needs to be five times the difference between the sponsor's income and the poverty line for the sponsor's household size.

(me: note this is now three times, not five times)

21. What assets can be used?

Any type of asset can be used if it is readily convertible to cash within a year. Liquid assets, such as savings deposits, stocks, bonds, and certificates of deposit will be viewed most favorably because they would be most accessible for the support of sponsored immigrants. Other assets, such as property, may also be acceptable if they can be sold within a year.

22. What evidence of assets is required?

Evidence establishing ownership and the value and location of assets is needed. Additionally, information on any liens and liabilities relating to these assets must be provided. For bank accounts, bank statements for the most recent 12 months, or a letter from the bank stating the date the account was opened, a history of deposits and withdrawals for the past year, and the current balance are needed.

More about Joint Sponsors:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

Who can be a joint sponsor, and when is a joint sponsor allowed?

If the visa petitioner's household income is not sufficient to meet the requirements of INA section 213A and 8 C.F.R. § 213a, INA section 213A permits a joint sponsor to sign an affidavit of support, in addition to the affidavit of support signed by the visa petitioner. A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125 percent income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement.

And more on assets:

If you cannot meet the minimum income requirements using your earned income, you have various options:

You may add the cash value of your assets such as money in savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and property. To determine the amount of assets required to qualify, subtract your household income from the minimum income requirement (125 percent of the poverty level for your family size). You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over). (me: again, note this is three times now, not five times)

Example for a household size of 4:

125 percent of 2006 poverty guideline: $25,000

sponsor's income: $19,500

Difference: $5,500

Multiply by 5: x 5

Minimum Required Cash Value of Assets: $27,500

me: Again, if you have zero income and want to use assets only, you are taking required income per year needed for your household ($29250) multiplied by three to come up with assets required of $29250 X 3 = $87750.

Form I-864 Instructions:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-864.pdf

There are very specific, step by step instructions for completing the form itself.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline
I-864 Basics

The I-864 Affidavit of Support is a contract between a sponsor and the applicant that is required for some immigrant visas. In this contract the sponsor agrees to provide financial support for the applicant until he/she becomes an American citizen or can be credited with 40 quarters of work (usually ten years). The sponsor must show that he/she has income equal to or greater than 125 percent of the federal poverty guidelines for his/her household size.

See Form I-864P for current Poverty Guidelines:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/for...iles/I-864p.pdf

There are two ways the US Citizen spouse can show that his/her intending immigrant (you) will not become a public charge:

-Sufficient annual income in the US

-Sufficient assets that can be converted to cash with 12 months

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1328.html

May the petitioner/sponsor count assets to meet the 125 percent minimum income requirement?

Yes. The sponsor counts his/her income first. Next he/she counts the personal assets and/or the income and assets of household members who have signed an I-864A. If, using all of those sources, the minimum income requirement is met, the affidavit would be "sufficient."

To be counted, the cash value of assets must equal five times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty line for the household size.

For example, a petitioner/sponsor with a household size of four and an income of $18,000 would need assets equal to five times the difference between his/her income and the income required for a family of four at the current federal poverty guidelines level. He/she would also need to show evidence of mortgages, liens, and liabilities against the assets.

Note from me:

This guideline was reduced further in July06. The cash value of assets must now only equal three times the difference between the sponsor's income and 125 percent of the poverty line.

Final Rule highlights:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4054

If you have zero income, the "difference" to make up is all of it; you must have assets that are 3X the poverty guideline INCOME amount.

Emerald, this is the difference between the $30k you think and the $90K I think.

Regarding your husband's employment letter:

Can a credible offer of employment for the visa applicant replace or supplement an insufficient Affidavit of Support?

No. The law does not allow for consideration of offers of employment in place of the I-864. A job offer may not be counted in reaching the 125 percent minimum income.

A job offer can be taken into consideration in determining the ability of the applicant to overcome an ineligibility on public charge grounds, but it does not meet any requirement for presenting an I-864

me: So, the letter will be useful to show you won't be bums, but can not be entered as income (unless of course he does already work there.....) on the I-864.

Is a "sufficient" I-864 the only consideration for meeting any public charge issues at the time of the visa interview?

No. Even though the I-864 is a contract and the U.S. government prohibits giving immigrants most federal means-tested public benefits for at least the first five years after their arrival in the U.S., consular officers look at other public charge issues. They will look at the complete financial situation of the sponsor and the applicant. This means looking at the age, health, education, skills, financial resources and family status of the applicant and the sponsor. They will confirm to the extent possible that the applicant will have adequate financial support and is not likely to become a public charge.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffair...eets/affaqa.htm

What is a joint sponsor?

A joint sponsor is a person who is not the petitioner for the sponsored immigrant but who meets the citizenship, residence, and age requirements and who meets the 125 percent minimum income requirement for his or her household size. Joint sponsors are permitted when the petitioner cannot meet the income requirements or has died before all family members have immigrated. Joint sponsors must accept joint legal responsibility for supporting sponsored immigrant(s) and reimbursing the cost of any means-tested public benefit used until the sponsored immigrants naturalize, can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work, depart the United States permanently, or die.

INCOME REQUIREMENTS

1. What does the requirement that the sponsor demonstrate the ability to maintain an income at 125 percent of the poverty level mean?

Sponsors will be judged on their ability to support the immigrants they are sponsoring at 125 percent of the poverty level for their household size based on the information they provide in the affidavit of support and accompanying documentation. This information must demonstrate that the sponsor and his or her household can reasonably be expected to maintain an income at or above the level required to provide for themselves and all immigrants they have sponsored or are sponsoring.

me: this means income, commonly known as 'a job'. Income and assets are different things.

7. Does a sponsor need to show proof of current employment?

A sponsor is not required to be employed, so long as the sponsor's income from sources other than employment, or the income of other qualifying persons in the household and/or assets are sufficient to reach or exceed the poverty line for the sponsor's household size. However, it is anticipated that in most cases the sponsor will need to be employed and show proof of employment to meet the income requirements.

20. How are assets used to demonstrate ability to sponsor an immigrant?

If a sponsor does not have sufficient income to meet the income requirement for the number of persons supported, he or she may list assets which are readily convertible to cash within one year for support of the sponsored immigrant(s). To qualify, the net worth of these assets needs to be five times the difference between the sponsor's income and the poverty line for the sponsor's household size.

(me: note this is now three times, not five times)

21. What assets can be used?

Any type of asset can be used if it is readily convertible to cash within a year. Liquid assets, such as savings deposits, stocks, bonds, and certificates of deposit will be viewed most favorably because they would be most accessible for the support of sponsored immigrants. Other assets, such as property, may also be acceptable if they can be sold within a year.

22. What evidence of assets is required?

Evidence establishing ownership and the value and location of assets is needed. Additionally, information on any liens and liabilities relating to these assets must be provided. For bank accounts, bank statements for the most recent 12 months, or a letter from the bank stating the date the account was opened, a history of deposits and withdrawals for the past year, and the current balance are needed.

More about Joint Sponsors:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm

Who can be a joint sponsor, and when is a joint sponsor allowed?

If the visa petitioner's household income is not sufficient to meet the requirements of INA section 213A and 8 C.F.R. § 213a, INA section 213A permits a joint sponsor to sign an affidavit of support, in addition to the affidavit of support signed by the visa petitioner. A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125 percent income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement.

And more on assets:

If you cannot meet the minimum income requirements using your earned income, you have various options:

You may add the cash value of your assets such as money in savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and property. To determine the amount of assets required to qualify, subtract your household income from the minimum income requirement (125 percent of the poverty level for your family size). You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over). (me: again, note this is three times now, not five times)

Example for a household size of 4:

125 percent of 2006 poverty guideline: $25,000

sponsor's income: $19,500

Difference: $5,500

Multiply by 5: x 5

Minimum Required Cash Value of Assets: $27,500

me: Again, if you have zero income and want to use assets only, you are taking required income per year needed for your household ($29250) multiplied by three to come up with assets required of $29250 X 3 = $87750.

Form I-864 Instructions:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-864.pdf

There are very specific, step by step instructions for completing the form itself.

wow thanks that makes more sense now....thank you so much for your patience and help. i finally get it!!!! hard but get it lol

Timeline
wow thanks that makes more sense now....thank you so much for your patience and help. i finally get it!!!! hard but get it lol

heheh.. I'll be more convinced when you feed it back with your situation in mind. :D

It still looks 'doable' for you, but you and your husband have to be able to fill in the right spots on the form, and make a decent argument to your CO.

Hang in there with it! (F)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Timeline

heheh.. I'll be more convinced when you feed it back with your situation in mind. :D

It still looks 'doable' for you, but you and your husband have to be able to fill in the right spots on the form, and make a decent argument to your CO.

Hang in there with it! (F)

Thanks heaps you've really really helped me understand this now. Whats really eased our minds is this part about joint sponsors.

A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant.

I thought a joint sponsor had to be related to you for some reason. Thats why i was stressing out big time as hubbies family really arn't that helpful or understanding of this process. They think it's a bit of a joke and the US gov will just accept waht you tell them.

This is a HUGE relief as we can rely on hubbies best mate and his wife rather then my SIL and BIL, or can we use both?

WIth a joint sponsor do you have to do the x 3 thing?

Thanks for your patience.

Where did my post get moved too????

Edited by Emerald

Timeline
I thought a joint sponsor had to be related to you for some reason. Thats why i was stressing out big time as hubbies family really arn't that helpful or understanding of this process. They think it's a bit of a joke and the US gov will just accept waht you tell them.

This is a HUGE relief as we can rely on hubbies best mate and his wife rather then my SIL and BIL, or can we use both?

WIth a joint sponsor do you have to do the x 3 thing?

Thanks for your patience.

Where did my post get moved too????

Ah, well that *would* be a relief, to know that anyone who is willing and meets the requriements can be your Joint Sponsor.

So, you have a new candidate. :)

Get him a copy of the I-864 (send him the uscis.gov link) and have him start reading it.

If his income is sufficient for HIS household + you, you do not need an affidavit from the SIL/BIL crowd.

The 3X thinkg ONLY applies to you using your own assets. I would need to double check this, but I think you'll find that Joint Sponsors who want to use assets use 5X? At any rate, is Matey going to use Income or Assets?

PS: Your post was moved to the IR/CR Forum, which is a good place for it---more people to see it and contribute.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.