send80

any ideas on the best way to marry my american fiance?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Ok I know I am not the only one out there with this question and I am sure it has been answered multiple times... but I am a Canadian engaged to an American and plan on marrying as soon as possible (have known him for almost 3 years, been together for a little over a year and engaged for a year... he has come here and spent a couple of months with me and I have gone there and spent a couple of months there).

I have gathered pretty much every possible scrap of information I can on how to do it the "right way", and can post it here to be scrutinized or used to help someone else, but have heard that the easiest way is to just go there and marry him then apply for a visa (already married one, sorry can't remember what it is called at the moment) or is it just best to go through with the fiance visa?

Thank you in advance for any and all help. :D

P.S.

Already know not to say anything about going to visit or marry american fiance lol

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok I know I am not the only one out there with this question and I am sure it has been answered multiple times... but I am a Canadian engaged to an American and plan on marrying as soon as possible (have known him for almost 3 years, been together for a little over a year and engaged for a year... he has come here and spent a couple of months with me and I have gone there and spent a couple of months there).

I have gathered pretty much every possible scrap of information I can on how to do it the "right way", and can post it here to be scrutinized or used to help someone else, but have heard that the easiest way is to just go there and marry him then apply for a visa (already married one, sorry can't remember what it is called at the moment) or is it just best to go through with the fiance visa?

P.S.

Already know not to say anything about going to visit or marry american fiance lol

To go over there and just get married would be an illegal act... This is because when entering as a visitor, one must have the intent of being a visitor and return home before your preiod of authorized stay ends. You have admitted that you have no intention of entering the US as a visitor, but wish to marry your fiancee and adjust status.

To do what you want to do would require that you get a K1 visa. You get it by filling out an I-129F and sending it to the service center that has jurisdiction over your USC fiancee's place of residence. Look at the guides on here to get more information.

It does not matter if you were let into the US by a CBP officer or not... the fact remains that you would have the intention of immigrating to the US when you entered the US. If the USCIS gets wind of this, they will deny your adjustment and send you back home. I know the seperation seems like it would be hard, but the forced very long term seperation and uprooting of your lives if things were to go wrong would be much, much harder. This is not one of those times where you should speed things up. It is very important to go through these things the right way, because the potential consequences are quite severe if you don't.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Zyggy is spot-on. You can't just cross the border as you would for a visit with the intention of getting married. File for the K-1 visa (it generally doesn't take that long through Canada, maybe 4-6 months) and come over with all your legal ducks in a row. :thumbs:

Congrats and good luck!

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Timeline
P.S.

P.S. This is something that we call a material misrepresentation. Making one to a CBP officer during inspection would result in a permanent ban on entering the US. Think long and hard before you ever make one...

Actually don't think at all.. never make one.

Edited by zyggy

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

P.S.

To go over there and just get married would be an illegal act... This is because when entering as a visitor, one must have the intent of being a visitor and return home before your preiod of authorized stay ends. You have admitted that you have no intention of entering the US as a visitor, but wish to marry your fiancee and adjust status.

To do what you want to do would require that you get a K1 visa. You get it by filling out an I-129F and sending it to the service center that has jurisdiction over your USC fiancee's place of residence. Look at the guides on here to get more information.

It does not matter if you were let into the US by a CBP officer or not... the fact remains that you would have the intention of immigrating to the US when you entered the US. If the USCIS gets wind of this, they will deny your adjustment and send you back home. I know the seperation seems like it would be hard, but the forced very long term seperation and uprooting of your lives if things were to go wrong would be much, much harder. This is not one of those times where you should speed things up. It is very important to go through these things the right way, because the potential consequences are quite severe if you don't.

Another option is get married in Canada and then have your spouse apply for CR1, followed by K3 if CR1 isnt moving fast enough or DCF, which I have heard is now available in Canada, but you need to check with the consulate to find out the requirements there. DCF is usually the fastest method. The timelines for K1 and K3 vary so much that it is hard to say which of those would be fastest for you. If you need to get married in the US though, K1 is the only option.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

I believe that DCF in Canada requires legal residency in Canada on the part of the USC for a minimum of one year.

The K-1 is probably going to be fastest for them.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

--Neil Finn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with Zyggy and Pax. I am a Canadian and my husband is a USC. We got married in Montreal, and are going through the immigration process (CR-1). See our timeline. We have also applied for the K-3 recently.

The fiancee visa (K-1) will probably go faster for you. But then again, it depends on where you want to get married. My husband and I really wanted to get married in Montreal where my family lives. (I was actually living in Ontario before our wedding.) Do you know what visa center your application will have to go through?

Good luck!

Cygnet

P.S.

Not related to this topic but...the postman came as I was typing up this reply and the DS-3032 was in the mail!

CR-1

09/16/2005 Mailed I-130 (CSC)

09/21/2005 NOA 1

02/07/2006 NOA 2 (Day 143)

02/25/2006 Petitioner receives AOS Bill in U.S. (Day 161)

02/27/2006 AOS Bill (regular USPS) and DS-3032 (Canada Post regular) are mailed out

03/21/2006 Petitioner receives I-864 package (Day 185)

03/22/2006 Beneficiary receives IV Bill and sends payment - regular mail (Day 186)

03/24/2006 Petitioner sends back I-864 (Day 188)

04/13/2006 Beneficiary receives DS-230 (Day 208)

05/10/2006 Beneficiary sends back DS-230 and docs to NVC via Fedex (Day 235)

05/19/2006 NVC issues RFE on Question # 20 on the DS-230. (Day 244)

05/29/2006 Beneficiary receives RFE and sends it off (Day 254)

06/02/2006 NVC receives RFE (Day 258)

06/16/2006 Case Complete! (Day 272)

07/07/2006 Case forwarded to Consulate in Montreal (Day 293)

08/11/2006 INTERVIEW! VISA APPROVED!

08/14/2006 Picked up visa and crossed the border.

08/25/2006 SS card arrives in the mail

09/07/2006 GC arrives in the mail.

K-3

02/01/2006 Mailed I-129F

02/07/2006 NOA1

04/14/2006 I-129F is approved!

04/24/2006 NVC forwards the application to the consulate in Montreal

05/01/2006 Packet 3 is received from consulate & is sent of 3 days later

07/07/2006 Medical

08/08/2006 INTERVIEW- cancelled bec. of CR-1

This is all the information I have gathered in regards what needs to be done:

File form I129f (fiancé visa - $170.00) with USCIS in Indianapolis (double check this is the right place).

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-129f.htm

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/ind...tm#anchor235776

Need:

- passport

- divorce certificate

- Police certificate from BC, ON & AB.

- Medical Exam (vaccinations?)

- Two DS-156 forms

- One DS-156 form

- Two nonimmigrant visa photos

- Evidence of fiancé relationship.

After marriage:

- Form 1-485 ($325.00) to adjust status or register perm. Residence.

- 1-864 affidavit of support.

- 1-765 ($180.00) to work before marriage. (Apply for SSN before I go to the US).

Not quite. ;)

I suggest a read-through of the VisaJourney Guides regarding the K-1 visa. Your I-129F petition needs to be filed by your American fiance to the proper service centre with jurisdiction over his American address, for starters.

--Neil Finn

Timeline
This is all the information I have gathered in regards what needs to be done:

File form I129f (fiancé visa - $170.00) with USCIS in Indianapolis (double check this is the right place).

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-129f.htm

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/ind...tm#anchor235776

Need:

- passport

- divorce certificate

- Police certificate from BC, ON & AB.

- Medical Exam (vaccinations?)

- Two DS-156 forms

- One DS-156 form

- Two nonimmigrant visa photos

- Evidence of fiancé relationship.

After marriage:

- Form 1-485 ($325.00) to adjust status or register perm. Residence.

- 1-864 affidavit of support.

- 1-765 ($180.00) to work before marriage. (Apply for SSN before I go to the US).

Actually it gets sent to the Nebraska Service Center.

Go to this page to see exactly what is required to submit the I-129F.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=k1guide

I know he has to file it, but he sucks at researching stuff so I get to do all the research and tell him what to do. LOL

He is in Bloomfield Indiana... and in brackets I put that he has to find out what office he has to file with (this was a copy of an e-mail I sent him).

I know he has to file it, but he sucks at researching stuff so I get to do all the research and tell him what to do. LOL

He is in Bloomfield Indiana... and in brackets I put that he has to find out what office he has to file with (this was a copy of an e-mail I sent him).

I realize that Indianapolis may well be his local USCIS office, but you won't have dealings with the local office at this time. He'll file the petition with the regional service centre that covers his state, which will be the Nebraska Service Centre.

Before you decide to do this, you need to make sure that your future husband is capable of following directions and filling out forms. I'm not saying this to be mean, but the USC has to be very proactive and conscientious throughout this process, and if he can't do that at this time, you should consider delaying the filing or hiring a lawyer to do the paperwork for you.

The process isn't difficult if you can understand the paperwork and the directions, but if this is something your man would rather not deal with, you have to understand that sloppy paperwork or recordkeeping could delay you significantly.

--Neil Finn

Timeline

I realize that Indianapolis may well be his local USCIS office, but you won't have dealings with the local office at this time. He'll file the petition with the regional service centre that covers his state, which will be the Nebraska Service Centre.

Before you decide to do this, you need to make sure that your future husband is capable of following directions and filling out forms. I'm not saying this to be mean, but the USC has to be very proactive and conscientious throughout this process, and if he can't do that at this time, you should consider delaying the filing or hiring a lawyer to do the paperwork for you.

The process isn't difficult if you can understand the paperwork and the directions, but if this is something your man would rather not deal with, you have to understand that sloppy paperwork or recordkeeping could delay you significantly.

It can be done if you want to do all the legwork... However, you should really try to fill out the paperwork together if this is the case... Bring a copy of the I-129F with you the next time that you go to visit. Start gathering evidence that you have been in each others physical presence, which may not be necessarily the easiest thing to do if you travel to the US by car. You may want to consider taking a trip together by air or something of that nature....

A couple of other things... On the I-129F, Question 19 - You will be applying for a visa at the consulate in Montreal Canada. NOT Toronto as they do not handle K visas.

Edited by zyggy

Ok. let's clear this up.. just cause I said he sucks at research doesnt mean he can't file paperwork. And I knew that the Local office probably wasnt gonna be the one to file out, but its alot easier for him to make a phone call and find out then me. And its not gonna hurt for him to do a little bit of research either. LOL

We have already found a lawyer for him to contact if he feels that he can not accomplish the paper work.

He has taken a plane to see me and I still have the records of it, and I have taken the bus to see him and flew back to Canada after the visit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.