kmehmood1

Current Passport Question

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I had a quick question regarding the current passport. At the time of interview should our current passport be valid for 6 months? I read somewhere a long time ago and I'm not sure if I read regarding citizenship. My husbands current passport expires in October and hopefully we will get an interview date before that.

Please let me know if you know the answer to my question.

Thank You!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm not entirely certain but I assume that it would need to be valid for at least 6 months. When you are approved the visa is put into your passport and you have 6 months to enter the US.

I-130                                                            CR-1

Filed: 1/13/2010                                         NVC Receive: 3/31/2010

NOA1: 1/22/2010                                       Consulate Receive: 3/31/2010 

NOA2: 2/3/2010                                         Interview: 4/26/2010

Approval: 5/13/2010

Date of Entry: 5/17/2010

I-751                                                            N-400

Filed: 2/18/2012                                        Filed: 2/11/2021

NOA1: 2/23/2012                                      NOA1: 2/12/2021

Biometrics: 3/12/2012                             Biometrics: Reuse Notice 2/19/2021

Interview: N/A                                            Interview: 4/6/2021

Approval: 7/11/2012                                Approval: 4/6/2021

Green Card Received: 7/19/2011

Oath of Allegiance: 5/6/2021

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline
1342097643[/url]' post='5518466']

Hi everyone! I had a quick question regarding the current passport. At the time of interview should our current passport be valid for 6 months? I read somewhere a long time ago and I'm not sure if I read regarding citizenship. My husbands current passport expires in October and hopefully we will get an interview date before that.

Please let me know if you know the answer to my question.

Thank You!

If you're talking about the interview for naturalization his current passport should not come into play.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My apologies, I should have read the OP's status.......disregard my previous post.

I-130                                                            CR-1

Filed: 1/13/2010                                         NVC Receive: 3/31/2010

NOA1: 1/22/2010                                       Consulate Receive: 3/31/2010 

NOA2: 2/3/2010                                         Interview: 4/26/2010

Approval: 5/13/2010

Date of Entry: 5/17/2010

I-751                                                            N-400

Filed: 2/18/2012                                        Filed: 2/11/2021

NOA1: 2/23/2012                                      NOA1: 2/12/2021

Biometrics: 3/12/2012                             Biometrics: Reuse Notice 2/19/2021

Interview: N/A                                            Interview: 4/6/2021

Approval: 7/11/2012                                Approval: 4/6/2021

Green Card Received: 7/19/2011

Oath of Allegiance: 5/6/2021

Timeline
1342100035[/url]' post='5518518']

My apologies, I should have read the OP's status.......disregard my previous post.

Well, in all fairness I think the question is confusing for it is suggestive of a K or CR visa, where passport validity comes into play...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Why would you need a foreign passport at all, if you are becoming American? Actually, from the moment you become a green card holder you are not required to maintain your passport at all. Unless you want to travel internationally.

Timeline

Why would you need a foreign passport at all, if you are becoming American? Actually, from the moment you become a green card holder you are not required to maintain your passport at all. Unless you want to travel internationally.

It depends on the country from which you emigrate.

Some countries require a formal process so that one can relinquish citizenship. As a consequence, even though you swear allegiance to the United States alone and relinquish any loyalty to your previous country, when you become a citizen, your former country may not recognize that as your reneging your previous citizenship. As such, if you are traveling to your home country after becoming a US citizen you may need two passports.

I have friends from Brazil who have to enter/leave Brazil with their valid Brazilian passports in addition to traveling with their US passports in order to gain admittance to the country upon their return.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

DrVS- that's what I was wondering as well, why would we need a current passport I'd we are becoming naturalized?. I read online somewhere and wanted to be sure.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

DrVS- that's what I was wondering as well, why would we need a current passport I'd we are becoming naturalized?. I read online somewhere and wanted to be sure.

you have to bring all passports to the interview, for ID and also the officer wants to see all the travel entries and exits from the country. You can use your current passport to travel, even if you do pass your interview, you aren't a USC until your Oath Ceremony

so if you need to travel after your naturalization interview you would still have to travel with your GC and foreign passport. You are not a USC until your Oath Ceremony.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

That's right - IF you have passport(s), you have to bring it (them) to the naturalization interview. But if you don't want to travel internationally - you don't need a passport, it's not something that is required for naturalization. If you travel domestically, you don't need a passport. Driver license, state ID or GC will suffice.

The simplest answer - no, the passport doesn't need to be valid. Just take it with you during the interview. My passport was expired for 4 years when I did my naturalization, no problems, no questions, nothing...

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.