CitizenJ

I-539 (extension of nonimmigrant visa)

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Oh nevermind. Found out about the I-134.

timeline in layman's terms:

Submitted I-130 (in person) - September 16th, 2014

I-130 Approved - November 12th, 2014

Received an e-mail prompting me and my wife to complete form DS-260 and submit some documents to a bank (NOA2?) - November 28th, 2014

Submitted documents to bank - December 4th, 2014

Received an e-mail instructing me and my wife to schedule an interview appointment - December 18th, 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That it is unenforceable?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

So just to clarify: the extension/attempted extension of this visa WILL NOT affect any of my wife's future applications for a US tourist visa?

Received an e-mail prompting me and my wife to complete form DS-260 and submit some documents to a bank (NOA2?) - November 28th, 2014

Received an e-mail instructing me and my wife to schedule an interview appointment - December 18th, 2014

Timeline

Of course it will.

But not an immigrant visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

So just to clarify: the extension/attempted extension of this visa WILL NOT affect any of my wife's future applications for a US tourist visa?

The extension/attempted extension will remain on her file and it will be known by immigration that she extended or tried to extend her stay in the US. It will not affect a future decision on her being given a visa one way or another.

What will impact her ability to renew her tourist visa is the fact that she is married to a US Citizen. However, if you are planning to move to China, it will bode well for her, because she would have no reason to leave. She may have a harder time to get a visa if she returns back to China and you stay stateside.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

I see. I know that the extension wouldn't affect any future application for an immigrant visa - I just asked about the tourist visa because, since my wife and I never plan to live full time in the US, if we ever came back she'd have to get another tourist visa.

OK so I've filled out the I-539 and the I-134 applications. I've written the cover letter for form I-539, I have my bank statements and employment letter (as enclosures for form I-134), and I have a copy of my wife's I-94, visa, and passport bio page. Some websites say that I need to send in a copy of every page of my wife's passport - is that true? It doesn't seem to make any sense. Also, would I still need to send in recent paystubs and an account verification letter from my bank even though I already have the letter from my employer and my bank statements?

Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-539: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=7200ecb23683a210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I guess I'd fall into the category of "all other Form I-539s" so I'd just send my form to the Dallas office. If I'm mistaken please inform me.

- Thanks

Timeline

Due to the time it takes to get an answer I think it is a valid tactic assuming that she has not intention of revisiting the US anytime soon.

I have seen them given for no obvious good reason, they may wonder what a Business Entrant is doing for so long in the US.

Just to remind you of my earlier comment.

You have answered the question.

Timeline

You have answered the question.

Which question?

Timeline

Wait - is a B1 visa multiple entry? If my wife and I just went to Mexico then came right back in to the US they'd give her a new I-94 right?

I read this somewhere: "As of May 1, 2010, anyone with a valid US visa does not require a visa to Mexico regardless of nationality."

Timeline

Nope

Which question?

Why she wants to stay.

Timeline

Nope

They wouldn't give her a new I-94 even if she left then re-entered the country? Why not?

Why she wants to stay.

So you want me to create a new thread for the additional questions I have?

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline
1342745195[/url]' post='5540058']

Wait - is a B1 visa multiple entry? If my wife and I just went to Mexico then came right back in to the US they'd give her a new I-94 right?

I read this somewhere: "As of May 1, 2010, anyone with a valid US visa does not require a visa to Mexico regardless of nationality."

That certainly is a possibility but it may not work. If you simply cross into Mexico for a few days there is a possibility the CBP office, upon your return, may grant her only the remaining time on her original I-94. The purpose is to prevent what you are trying to accomplish for in the past it was used by illegal workers to circumvent their allowed stay in the US. The length of the allowed stay in the US is solely up to the discretion of the CBP officer so it would be a gamble.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

That certainly is a possibility but it may not work. If you simply cross into Mexico for a few days there is a possibility the CBP office, upon your return, may grant her only the remaining time on her original I-94. The purpose is to prevent what you are trying to accomplish for in the past it was used by illegal workers to circumvent their allowed stay in the US. The length of the allowed stay in the US is solely up to the discretion of the CBP officer so it would be a gamble.

Shoot, then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work considering her and I would only stay in Mexico for about an hour (I live driving distance for the border).

I'm doing the I-539 online and it asked for "an employment letter from the employer (her employer) in support of your application"...I was afraid it would ask for that. My wife quit her job a couple of months ago...F**K

Timeline

There is a possibility they might give her a new I 94.

They should give her the balance of the initial entry.

There is also a possibility that she would be refused entry, which could be inconvenient.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.