Dar&Shan

Social Security Number

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok, forgive my ignorance, but I have a question regarding the SSN. After my fiance was here a couple of weeks, we applied for, and received a SSN. It begins with the numbers 001, and the lady working at our local DMV led us to believe that it is only a temporary number. Will he be issued a different number, or is this the only one? I understand that the card now states for work purposes, and he does have a valid EAD. I guess we're wondering if this is the number he can use to start building credit with. Thanks everyone!

[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;104/st/20110610/e/NOA+1/dt/-1/k/39bf/event.png[/image]

[/link]

Filed: Timeline

Ok, forgive my ignorance, but I have a question regarding the SSN. After my fiance was here a couple of weeks, we applied for, and received a SSN. It begins with the numbers 001, and the lady working at our local DMV led us to believe that it is only a temporary number. Will he be issued a different number, or is this the only one? I understand that the card now states for work purposes, and he does have a valid EAD. I guess we're wondering if this is the number he can use to start building credit with. Thanks everyone!

The lady at the DMV provided inaccurate information. There are no temporary social security numbers -- that's what the ITIN is for, basically. 001 is issued by the state of New Hampshire. If you applied within NH, you get a social that starts with 001, 002 or 003.

Do NOT expect to receive another SSN. The one you have is permanent.

There is no such thing as temporary SSN. It is permanent.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The lady at the DMV provided inaccurate information. There are no temporary social security numbers -- that's what the ITIN is for, basically. 001 is issued by the state of New Hampshire. If you applied within NH, you get a social that starts with 001, 002 or 003.

Do NOT expect to receive another SSN. The one you have is permanent.

Thank you so much for the quick reply-that's what I thought, but when she said that, it through us for a loop, lol!!

[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;104/st/20110610/e/NOA+1/dt/-1/k/39bf/event.png[/image]

[/link]

There is no such thing as temporary SSN. It is permanent.

:thumbs:

AOS

04/27/12 Got Married...Yippeeeeeeee

05/17/12 Day 1..AOS sent

05/19/12.Day 3.AOS packet delivered

05/24/12.Day 8. E-mail notifications received

05/25/12.Day 9. Checks cashed

06/01/12.Day 16.NOA1 Hardcopy received for i-130,EAD &AP

06/05/12.Day 20. Got hardcopy Biometrics appointment letter

06/19/12.Day 34.Biometrics done Phoenix ASC

06/21/12.Day 36. RFE I-485

06/22/12.Day 37. RFE replied.tax transcripts

06/27/12.Day 42.RFE evidence review email from USCIS

07/05/12.Day 50. 2nd RFE

07/31/12.Day 75.Got EAD/AP approval email...

08/06/12.Day 81. Received email Interview appointment for September

08/07/12.Day 82. Receive paper AP

08/08/12.Day 83. Received EAD card

09/05/12.Day 110.Interview.Under review

09/24/12.Day 129. GC approved

09/29/12. Day 134. GC in hand

001 is issued by the state of New Hampshire. If you applied within NH, you get a social that starts with 001, 002 or 003.

Erm, that's very interesting. I did not know this information so double checked.

If I applied for a SSN in North Carolina, was issued the SSN in North Carolina and live in North Carolina how the hell did I get a number starting 010, which according to this list is Massachusetts? :o

http://www.mrfa.org/ssn.htm

Edited by BobCray

Erm, that's very interesting. I did not know this information so double checked.

If I applied for a SSN in North Carolina, was issued the SSN in North Carolina and live in North Carolina how the hell did I get a number starting 010, which according to this list is Massachusetts? :o

http://www.mrfa.org/ssn.htm

In 2007 the Social Security Administration decided they needed to randomize some of the SSNs as some states were starting to outgrow their initial allotment of SSNs given to them in 1936. As a result, depending on what state you live in (i.e. the more popular states) will now receive some SSNs that were previously assigned to other states.

You can read more about it here: http://www.ssa.gov/employer/randomization.html

Phew! Thanks. So in fact the prefix has no relevance at all to where it was issued.

Mild panic over! :thumbs:

1936 - 2011 it had relevance. Following the implementation of the 2007 ruling in June of 2011. The first 3 digits of your SSN are no longer attributed to a specific state.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from AOS to new SSN forum ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.