jv59893

Getting Started with DCF

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've been reading the forums and just wanted to make sure that I have everything in order before I begin filing paperwork for my wife.

We will be submitting her I-130 via DCF at the Seoul Embassy within the next week or so. It seems that these are the documents we need:

-Copies of our Marriage Certificate (we were married in the UK so it's already in English)

-Copies of US Passport or US Birth Certificate (to prove my citizenship)

-Passport size photo's for my wife and I to go on the G-325A (two filled out for my wife and I)

-Fee ($485)

-The Completed I-130 form

-Alien Registration Card (To prove I have been living in Korea for the last few years).

-Table of Contents and Cover Letter Explaining why I'm submitting these documents.

-Copies of our Wedding Photo's

-Translated of our Korean Health Insurance Card which demonstrates we live together.

Is this all we need?

Also, I know I (American) have to go to the Embassy to drop off these forms, but does my wife (English) also have to be present with me?

Thanks,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahrain
Timeline

you also may need a G-325a form (biographical info) one for yourself and one for your wife...other than that i think your good so far...and its nto nessacary but maybe affadavits from people knwoing of your relationshsip will be helpful .. this is not a requirement BUT the G-325a form is .. atlest for normal i dont know if DFC makes an exception but i dont know why it would .. good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I started my DCF process in April, and finished it in June. I could have been finished in May, but took my time.

In order for you to file the I-130, you would need

1) Copy of your marriage certificate

2) A copy of every single page of your US passport, and your wife's passport(UK) every single page.

3) 2" X 2" passport pictures.

4) I-130 form and it must be signed.

5) G325A form for both you and your wife.

6) Unabridged birth certificate(NEEDED with I-130 filing).

7) Fee(Mine was $420)

They didn't look at my Alien registration card, nor wedding pictures, or korean health card. on my G325A and I-130 we stated the address where we have lived together.

YOU BOTH have to attend to file the petition, else it will ask questions.

They are very thorough, but really nice. so it is important to have all your documents. It took me a while getting my unabridged birth certificate, and that was needed with the I-130 filing.

04-04-2012- I-130 filed at Seoul US embassy $420
04-19-2012- I-130 Approved(15 days)!!! Receive Case number and Packet 3.
05-03-2012 - Medical examination at Seoul St.Mary's Hospital(Passed) $170
05-05-2012 - Set Interview date for June 15
06-15-2012 - Interview (Approved) Case completed in 74 days! Could have been shorter!
06-18-2012 - Receive visa + brown envelope.
07-19-2012 - POE(Honolulu, Hawaii)
07-24-2012 - Receive SSN
07-29-2012 - Receive 2 year conditional Green card
08-02-2012 - Apply for State ID: Get 6-year Tennessee state ID.
03-22-2013 - Do written test at DMV for drivers license. Get 1-year Learner permit.
03-28-2013 - Pass drivers license test. Get 5 year drivers license. Done with the DMV until 2018!

Next step - Removal of conditions on green card: May 2014.

04-30-2014 Filed I-751 to remove conditions

05-05-2014 NOA1 receipt and extension of green card for 1 more year while it processes.

06-12-2014 Biometric Appointment

12-29-2014 Approval letter from USCIS with no interview needed! Done with USCIS till 2024 or when I apply for US citizenship. 

12-30-2014 Receives 10 year permanent green card.

Naturalization Process: 

06-29-2017 N400 filed 

07-05-2017 Check cashed 

07-11-2017 Received biometric appointment

07-12-2017 NOA 1 receipt 

07-26-2017 Biometric appointment 

09-13-2017 Case in line for interview 

04-23-2018 Interview (Memphis, N 400)  Passed!  Recommended for approval. 

05-24-2018 Oath ceremony notice was mailed. 

05-29-2018 Oath letter received. Date set: June 21st, 2018

06-21-2018 Oath ceremony: I am a US citizen. Done with USCIS (Day 332) 

Passport application:

06-22-2018 Apply for US passport and passport card 

06-27-2018 Passport application received and in progress. (Day 5)

07-11-2018 Passport and passport card mailed out. Expecting it by 7-17-2018. (Day 18)

07-13-2018 Passport book received.  (Day 20)

07-16-2018 Passport card and naturalization certificate received. (Day 23). 

Process complete: Time to start traveling.

Filed: Timeline

Hi. I started my DCF process in April, and finished it in June. I could have been finished in May, but took my time.

In order for you to file the I-130, you would need

1) Copy of your marriage certificate

2) A copy of every single page of your US passport, and your wife's passport(UK) every single page.

3) 2" X 2" passport pictures.

4) I-130 form and it must be signed.

5) G325A form for both you and your wife.

6) Unabridged birth certificate(NEEDED with I-130 filing).

7) Fee(Mine was $420)

They didn't look at my Alien registration card, nor wedding pictures, or korean health card. on my G325A and I-130 we stated the address where we have lived together.

YOU BOTH have to attend to file the petition, else it will ask questions.

They are very thorough, but really nice. so it is important to have all your documents. It took me a while getting my unabridged birth certificate, and that was needed with the I-130 filing.

you listed BOTH passport copies AND birth certificate...however...the original post listed either/or.

which is accurate?

thanks!

if my mother is going to be the co-sponsor for support, at what point does her paperwork enter the picture here?

that is, if i am doing the same thing that the original poster here is doing, must we arrive at the embassy with all of the above PLUS another I-130 for my mother?

or does the financial person only enter the picture after the actual visa application is sent and begins?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The I-864 (and the I-864 of the co-sponsor, who never files a I-130) is handed in at the beneficiary's interview.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Here are the filings instructions for DCF Seoul, according to the USCIS website:

Form I-130

U.S. citizens that reside locally may file an Immediate Relative Immigrant Petition at the USCIS Seoul Field Office. However, they must first schedule an appointment to file the petition at 02-397-4548 or via email at CIS-Seoul.Inquiries@dhs.gov. We do not accept applications by mail.

There are three types of petitions that are commonly filed at this office

• for spouses and children of U.S. citizens
  • for spouses and children of lawful permanent residents in the U.S. military
  • for parents of U.S. citizens.

Please see the section "Information on Filing I-130 Petitions in Korea" near the bottom of the web page for additional information.

INFORMATION ON FILING I-130 PETITIONS IN KOREAPrior to Filing the I-130 petition:

Before filing the I-130 petition for your spouse, you (the petitioner) must make sure that you have followed the requirements for reporting your marriage in Korea. If you have married your spouse outside of Korea, you must ensure that you have followed the rules of the country where you were married. If your spouse is a Korean citizen, the marriage should be reported on his/her family census register. The Korean government will then establish a new branch family for her.

Who May File in Korea

Military and civilian members with orders to Korea

U.S. citizens employed with private companies

Students studying in the various universities

English teachers

(The last three categories must present a residence card, and/or employment documents.)

Filing the I-130 Petition

Along with the I-130 petition, you must also submit originals of

• Your marriage certificate
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship/lawful permanent residence card
  • Proof of termination of any prior marriage(s)
  • Photographs, one for yourself and one for your spouse to be attached along with the Form G-325A (Biographic Information). Please note that failure to provide complete and accurate information could result in a delay in processing the petition and subsequent immigrant visa.
    -Birth certificate of your alien spouse. (If your spouse is a Korean citizen, you should submit two different Family Census Registers; one that shows all of her family members with his/her name removed from the register due to the report of your present marriage; the other one is a new Family Census Register which was established due to the report of your present marriage; both Family Census Registers must be accompanied with an English translation.)

NOTE: The petitioner is required to bring copies and originals when filing. Originals will be returned to the petitioner. The filing fee can be paid in U.S. or Korean currency. NO personal checks are accepted by the Embassy cashier per local State Department policy.

On the day you file the petition, your petition will be reviewed for completeness and verification of information provided. If there are any concerns, you will be referred to an Immigration Officer who will go over the petition with you and your spouse.

After the petition has been approved, it will be sent to the Immigrant Visa Branch. They will then send you a Packet of instructions and forms that should be completed by your spouse in support of your spouse's application for immigration (Packet 3).

Please note that Spouses of Lawful Permanent Residents will not be eligible for immigration immediately; instead, he/she will be assigned a preference category and a priority date. Please contact the Immigrant Visa Branch for information on the preference categories and the waiting period.

For inquiries on this or any other information, please contact the immigration office at (822) 721-4548 or (822) 397-4548 (commercial).

For inquiries on the Immigrant Visa process, please contact Immigrant Visa Branch directly at (822) 721-4252 or (822) 397-4252 (commercial).

Also, I can't find the Seoul-specific reference, but the I-130 fee is standard worldwide, $420 or the embassy's currency conversion equivalent in Won. You can confirm the fee at any time at http://www.uscis.gov/i-130.

Have you been successful at scheduling an appointment to submit the petition? I emailed CIS Seoul on Thursday morning and still have not received a response. I might have to try calling but I heard that's often even less successful. Next week is the only time I can get a day off at work in the near future, and I'm anxious to get scheduled because the website claims they only accept walk-in I-130s on an emergency basis. Who knows if that's true...

Edited by Carlos and Amy

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

The I-864 (and the I-864 of the co-sponsor, who never files a I-130) is handed in at the beneficiary's interview.

Thank you!

So, to be clear...as far as my mother is concerned, there is no mention of her until my wife's interview, and even then, its only via an I-864 and the corresponding "proof" papers that I will ask my mother to mail to me...correct?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thank you!

So, to be clear...as far as my mother is concerned, there is no mention of her until my wife's interview, and even then, its only via an I-864 and the corresponding "proof" papers that I will ask my mother to mail to me...correct?

Yes

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.