Bootylicious!!

Computer issues

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have McAfee virus scan on my computer at home. I leave my computer on most of the time even when I'm not using it. I know, probably not a good idea. I went to use it on Saturday and McAfee had popped up saying it had detected something trying to load on the computer and wanted to know if I wanted to allow it or block it. I didn't recognize what it said it wanted to download but figured since it had been a couple of days since I used the computer it probaby wasn't anything I wanted to allow to download. I don't even remember what it said since I didn't pay that much attention. I told the computer to block it and now nothing works. I can't get on the internet, open my email, or use my messenger. I have no idea what it was but apparently it was something I needed to allow. Now I don't know how to allow it and get my stuff to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to get my computer back up and running? Oh, and one more thing, I know I could uninstall McAfee and that would probably take care of the problem. The only thing with that is, I paid about $80 for the version I have and my lovely little doggie chewed up the installation disk. So, if I uninstall I will have to buy the darn thing again.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

Start in safe mode (F8 while you start computer) and use system restore to restore it to a point before the incident.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. I guess I'm just going to have to take it somewhere to get it fixed. Funny thing is, my mom said her computer is doing almost the exact same thing. Now mine won't even bring up anything except the background picture. No icons or start bar. It works in safe mode but still won't allow me to get on the net or do anything that has to do with the net. I'm beginning to wonder if something is wrong with our internet connection. That still doesn't explain why it won't bring up any icons or anything.

I just hope I don't loose everything on the computer. All our pictures and everything are on there. I used to be good about backing stuff up but haven't done it lately. I guess I learned my lesson. Again, thanks for the help.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. I guess I'm just going to have to take it somewhere to get it fixed. Funny thing is, my mom said her computer is doing almost the exact same thing. Now mine won't even bring up anything except the background picture. No icons or start bar. It works in safe mode but still won't allow me to get on the net or do anything that has to do with the net. I'm beginning to wonder if something is wrong with our internet connection. That still doesn't explain why it won't bring up any icons or anything.

I just hope I don't loose everything on the computer. All our pictures and everything are on there. I used to be good about backing stuff up but haven't done it lately. I guess I learned my lesson. Again, thanks for the help.

Have you tried running your virus scan again?

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

I did. It won't even open. I uninstalled it last night so I could install it again. Well, that didn't work because it has to connect to the internet to install. I called our computer center here at work and they told me to bring it in. I'm going to take it by to them on Thursday.

I don't really care about getting it fixed. I can buy a new one. This one is several years old and I could use an updated version. I just don't want to loose everything that's on it. If they can't fix it hopefully they can at least get everything off for me so I can put it on my new computer. It's just aggravating when you're used to having a computer at home and then it quits on you.

Our power went out the other day. My computer was on so it shut down when the lights went out. I'm pretty sure my mom's was probably on too. I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with that since we are both having trouble. I know one thing is for sure, I will listen to Javier from now on when he tells me to shut it down when I get off of it. No more leaving it running for weeks at a time. I'm sure it's not really good to do that.

Timeline

you could also go to the event viewer to see what might have happened,its in the control panel,its in administrative tools.

Good luck

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Yeah, I looked at that too. It had a lot of stuff on there that was all greek to me. Some of it made sense but some of it no. I unplugged it and it's now sitting on my dining room table.

My problem is I don't have enough patience to work on the darn thing. If it moves to slow for me or doesn't do what I think it's supposed to I give up. I got so upset last night working on it that I slammed the keyboard down on the desk. Probably not a good thing either. :no: I'll just leave it alone until Thursday and hopefully they can fix it for me.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

sounds to me like your computer has a virus!! virus's wont let you open your anti-virus software regardless of whether you uninstalled it and reinstalled it or not :( They simply shut it down.

Have you considered reformatting your hard drive?

Separated!!

I have not because I have no idea how to do that. I'm about as computer literate as my little doggie. I know how to turn them on, find and fix small issues, and that's about it. I'm open to directions if anyone can give them to me. I just don't know where to start. I really thought safe mode would help me get something done but it was a no go. Of course I didn't really know what I was doing in safe mode either. I may have been able to fix it if I had. I'd rather not have to haul my computer all the way over here to have it worked on if I can get it fixed myself.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have not because I have no idea how to do that. I'm about as computer literate as my little doggie. I know how to turn them on, find and fix small issues, and that's about it. I'm open to directions if anyone can give them to me. I just don't know where to start. I really thought safe mode would help me get something done but it was a no go. Of course I didn't really know what I was doing in safe mode either. I may have been able to fix it if I had. I'd rather not have to haul my computer all the way over here to have it worked on if I can get it fixed myself.

Reformatting your hard drive will get rid of all the data on it. If you have a problem that will end up causing that you'll lose the data you want to save anyway.

If you aren't computer-savvy, my suggestion is take it in. It's a pain, sure, but it's way more painful to lose things you can't get back. :thumbs: It might even be something fairly simple to a 'techie' that is beyond most of us mere mortals. ;)

I hope it works for you.

edit: I'm sleepy so I don't know if that first part was clear. I was trying to say that since you've said you don't want to lose the data, I am suggesting that you don't mess with trying to reformat the drive, as it will erase the data in the reformat. Techs can usually get data off first by various means before reformatting.

Edited by ceriserose

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

It made perfect sense. :D Yeah, it's probably best if I just take it in. I would love to take some computer classes so when I have issues I can fix them myself. I have the opportunity here at work but don't take advantage of it. This just goes to show me I need to quit procrastinating and just take the classes.

It probably is something really easy for them to fix. The idea of a virus had crossed my mind too. Like I said, no biggie if they can't fix it, I just want my stuff. Thank goodness Javier's paperwork is on my computer at work. So we won't loose any of it if we loose the information.

Timeline

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!