Linababe

Decree Absolute for UK

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just forward planning yet again! .... I heard that the Decree Absolute for the UKC is sometimes not sufficient enough for the K1 process and some applicants get RFE because they want something official. Well I was married before and all I have is the Decree Absoulte which is 1 sheet of paper that states the marriage between my ex and me has been disolved on .. (date). It has the court stamp on it in red ink. But in my case they had spelt my name wrong so a few years later I asked for that to be changed and they asked for me to send this paper back to them - all they did was to write in pen my correct spelling and the date that it was amended and stamped it again with the court stamp. Now I am worried... did anyone get a RFE because they wanted an offical paper? If so how offical can we get? what should I be asking for? any ideas anyone??

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, your decree absolute is THE paper they want to see, so I am not sure that your separation agreement, etc. is necessary at all - somebody else step up to the plate here and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. You have the paper that shows you are free to marry. And it needs to be included with the I-129F when it is filed - not just produced at the consulate stage.

Regarding the mis-spell, send the decree absolute with the I-129F and include a cover letter stating what you just told us. The second court seal is on the document and it backs up your story - I think you will be fine.

The only other thing I can think of you could do is go to your registrar's office and ask them for some other 'official' type of proof. I am a legal secretary here in the states, and while I am familiar with record retention here, I don't know a thing about the UK. Here there are master books that are kept in courthouses that show names, dates, etc. of domestic court proceedings and the little courthouse here would be happy to help someone out - don't know about your situation.

The second thing I might suggest is that you e-mail the London consulate with your question. You will need to take the ORIGINAL decree absolute the day of your interview (your fiance can send a photocopy with his I-129F petition). I am sure they can give you the answer as to whether or not the name problem and/or the lack of any supporting documents will be a problem.

The email for the embassy is londonconsular.state.gov.

Sorry...e-mail is LondonConsular@state.gov.

Edited by rebeccajo

We did get an RFE for NOT sending in the final divorce decree....but we DID send it (photocopy of course as that is what they required for the initial filing of the I-129F). What we did was send it again and highlight the words DECREE ABSOLUTE on the bottom of the document and it was accepted then.

I just don't think they knew what they were looking at the first time because the decree absolute doesn't look very impressive...so I suggest doing the highlight thingy and see if that works. Good luck

Jen

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

When I sent off for a Decree, not only was my name spelled wrong (a one-letter error) but my birth year

was incorrect by one year as well. I called the 800 number for USCIS and was told that it needs to be exact... my fiance is British as well.

SO..... I spent another $75 getting a new copy of my marriage certificate. I was then told to send BOTH back to the NYS Vital Statistics Bureau, wherein they would examine the marriage certificate and the divorce decree, and send me an AMENDED divorce decree. If it comes back with PEN marks on it, I have to admit I'll be livid. These types of mistakes are easy enough to make, fair enough, but SHEESH> Just another hold up. And the pen marks, if that's all they do, had better be damn well good enough to prove whatever. I am getting sick of this already!

I was told 2-4 weeks to receive my 'amended' divorce decree, which therein proves without a doubt your ablility to remarry freely.

They do NOT want to see separation agreements, and all that stuff. I asked. Just the decree. Hope this helps!

~Signed,

Someone Who Feels Your Pain :(

4/03/05..... Met on Clearwater Beach at the Hostel, Love at First Sight! :)

5/23/05..... Sean leaves me to continue his trip around the world :(

7/06/05..... Sean comes back bcoz we miss each other tooo much :)))

8/23/05..... Sean goes home for good this time :(

9/23/05..... Talking every day, deciding that we can't live apart

10/28/05..... Sara proposes! :)

3/11//06..... Filed I-129 with Texas after much hunting and gathering of evidence :)

3/18/06...... NOA1

6/23/06...... RFE sent from Cal. Center (IMBRA STUFF)

6/23/06...... Sean arrives in Tampa! Staying till September! :) :) :)

7/03/06.......RFE arrives at my house :(

7/06/06...... RFE sent back to California. Now, NOA2 PLEASE! :)

7/13/06..... Touched :)

7/17/06..... Received email stating 'RFE' info rec'd. Should have answer soon. Yeah, right. :(

7/18/06..... TOUCHED AGAIN - JUST SEND MY DAMN NOA2 PUH-LEEEZE!

8/22/06..... After much discussion and tears and anguish, we end our relationship

8/23/06..... NOA2... Great timing, Feds. Kiss my a$$.

*New Chapter*

9/30/06..... Packet 3 arrives at Sean's parents in London

10/02/06... Sends paperwork back with necessary contents

10/17/06... Notice for further evidence arrives in mail

10/19/06... Evidence gathered, returned to embassy

10/25/05... Notice for medical appointment

11/06/06... Medical Appointment

12/05/06... Notice arrives, interview date 12/21/06

When I sent off for a Decree, not only was my name spelled wrong (a one-letter error) but my birth year

was incorrect by one year as well. I called the 800 number for USCIS and was told that it needs to be exact... my fiance is British as well.

SO..... I spent another $75 getting a new copy of my marriage certificate. I was then told to send BOTH back to the NYS Vital Statistics Bureau, wherein they would examine the marriage certificate and the divorce decree, and send me an AMENDED divorce decree. If it comes back with PEN marks on it, I have to admit I'll be livid. These types of mistakes are easy enough to make, fair enough, but SHEESH> Just another hold up. And the pen marks, if that's all they do, had better be damn well good enough to prove whatever. I am getting sick of this already!

I was told 2-4 weeks to receive my 'amended' divorce decree, which therein proves without a doubt your ablility to remarry freely.

They do NOT want to see separation agreements, and all that stuff. I asked. Just the decree. Hope this helps!

~Signed,

Someone Who Feels Your Pain :(

Well, to those of you who are new here, the 800 number is affectionately known on VJ as 'the mis-information line', so what you were told may not have been necessarily true.

That said though, I DO think getting corrected court copies is a good idea. I personally would feel better having them.

I also now remember that I didn't send my US separation agreement. My decree was 15 pages - mentally I was getting them mixed in my brain.

What would be the procedure in the UK for getting corrected copies of the Decree Absolute though?

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline

WEll when my name was mispelled as I said in my first post I rang the court place and told them there was a typing error and could they ammend it all they told me was to send my original in and they ammended it with a pen and stamped it. I got it back in like approx 3 weeks.

What would be the procedure in the UK for getting corrected copies of the Decree Absolute though?

Thank you all for your comments _ i really just wanted to hear from the UKC's on what they did. Im gonna speak to my fiance today and see if he hasnt mailed the application in yet and if it is possible for him to highlight the bit on the bottom of my paper where it says "Certificate making Decree Nisi Absolute (Divorce)" Thats the only thing i can see that shows that this one single sheet of paper is my decree absolute and I am free to marry. IF he has already mailed it then well I guess I shall have to wait for the RFE LOL

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

Timeline
Lina, most of the responses you will get here will be from USC's.

That doesn't mean we can't help you. Or at least it shouldn't.

Oh understand and I am sorry if I offended anyone, maybe i didnt word it right I meant the UK part of the couple i guess. I know that every piece of advice, comments are very useful and I thank everyone for that, it is very much appreciated.

Lina (UKC)

London Interview list

Lina - I havent got as far as NOA2 yet myself - so I dont know what they will make of the one page Absolute doc..I may take a copy of the NISI into interview as well if they dont RFE the Absolute just to be on safe side.

Personally if you've already had the ABSOLUTE annotated by a court appointed person / agent and stamped with their seal that SHOULD be enough - I Don't THINK the registar at the court WILL produce a new document - the only other avenue would be to go back to your original solicitor and ask if the document can be re-generated but that will probably cost alot

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there,

Not sure if my response will be of any help. I am a Canadian citizen and my USC fiance also had a Decree Absolute. His didn't have any missplellings or wrong dates but it was over 20 years old and in really bad condition very faded and hard to read. We sent a photo copy of it with the I-129F and I was also worried about getting an RFE over it. We didn't get any RFE's and we are now waiting on our packet 4 from Montreal. I am having him send the original to me to take with me to Montreal to the interview just incase but so far no one seems to have had a problem with it. Hope it helps.

acc-6018.jpg

Service Center :Texas Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent:October 27 2006

I-129F NOA1 2005-11-09

I-129F NOA2: 2006-01-30

NVC Received: 2006-02-09

Packet 3 Received: 2006-02-21

Packet 3 Sent: 2006-02-27

Interview date: June 8 2006

Visa approved

August 20th 2006: Our wedding day

August 27th 2006: AOS and EAD mailed to Chicago lockbox (day 1 let the waiting begin again)

September 1st 2006: NOA from MSC for AOS and EAD stating AOS and EAD recieved (day 6)

September 7th 2006: EAD touched (day 12)

September 15th 2005: email stating AOS transferred to CSC (day 20)

September 16th 2006: Biometrics (day 21)

September 18th 2006: EAD and AOS Touched (day 23)

September 21st 2006: Snail mail transfer notice (day26)

October 18th 2006: Still waiting (day 53)

November 2nd 2006: Still waiting (day 68)

Jan. 11 2007 : Still waiting nothing since September 18 (day 138)

November 22 2006: EAD Approved

Feb. 22 2007: Still waiting (day 180)

March 5th 2007: Finally a touch case now pending at the office it was transferred to wooooooohoooooooooo (day 190)

March 6 2007: Touched again (day 191)

March 7 2007: Another touch ( ohhhhhhhh I'm all fluttery inside ) (day 192)

March 12 2007: Touched (day 197)

April 3 2007: Touched ( day 220)

April 4 2007 : Touched (day 221)

April 6 2007: Approved (day 223)

My decree absolute is a poor photocopy with no seal on it.

Use the following link to the UK county courts service. You have a choice to apply to central archives or directly to the court that granted your original decree absolute.

www.hmcourts-service.gsi.gov.uk

Explain your situation re amended paperwork with your request.

Good Luck.

with best wishes, daisy

Daisy, Surrey UK +++ DJ, California USA

March 2001: Dear Duck.... with kind regards, Daisy

April 2002: Our first visit, the start of many..

How blessed we are to meet and fall in love

May 2005: We marry in California

June 2005: We start the visa process

July 2005: NOA1

Jan 2006: NOA2

Apr 2006: Case complete

Apr 2006: NVC send file to London

June 2006: Church blessing in London

June 2006: Medical

June 2006: Interview

June 2006: VISA!!!!! :)))

Sept 2006: Daisy age 50 and 7/12ths moves to California... whoooohooooooo!

Removal of Conditions

June 2008: Mail package to CSC

July 2008: Biometrics Appt

October 2008: 10 year green card arrives in the mail.

Citizenship

January 2010: Apply for US citizenship.

March 2010: Oath ceremony. Citizenship complete!!!!!

My decree absolute is a poor photocopy with no seal on it.

Use the following link to the UK county courts service. You have a choice to apply to central archives or directly to the court that granted your original decree absolute.

www.hmcourts-service.gsi.gov.uk

Explain your situation re amended paperwork with your request.

Good Luck.

with best wishes, daisy

And that, Daisy, sounds like the answer we may have been looking for!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes!

Johanna & Peter

Colombia / U.S.A.

I-129F / K-1 Fiancee Visa

08-20-02 - Met Johanna in Armenia, Colombia

10-05-05 - K-1 Sent to TSC

10-14-05 - Received NOA1 by E-Mail (Day 9)

12-22-05 - Reveived NOA2 By E-Mail & Mail (Day 78)

03-03-06 - Interview Date! (Day 149) Approved

03-10-06 - Johanna Arrived

05-27-06 - Married

I-485 / AOS (Did not applied for EAD or AP)

06-05-06 - Sent I-485 application to Chicago via USPS (Day 1)

06-06-06 - AOS Package Delivered at 12:29PM

06-12-06 - Received NOA1 by Mail

06-14-06 - Check Cashed

06-22-06 - Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

06-26-06 - "Request for Additional Evidence" Online, waiting for letter

06-29-06 - Biometrics Done!

06-30-06 - Received RFE Letter by mail. (Missing Birth Certificate)

07-10-06 - Sent RFE by Express Mail USPS

07-11-06 - RFE Delivered @ 10:54AM Sign by D. Atwell

08-28-06 - AOS Transferred to CSC E-mail & USCIS Website (Day 85)

08-30-06 - Touched #1

08-31-06 - Touched #2

08-31-06 - E-Mail from CRIS & USCIS-CSSO - CSC received AOS Application

09-01-06 - Touched #3

09-01-06 - NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

09-05-06 - Touched #4

09-07-06 - Touched #5

09-13-06 - Touched #6

09-15-06 - AOS Approved by Online Status & E-mail

09-21-06 - Received GC and Welcome Letter (Day 109)

I agree, the UK decree absolute isn't very impressive, but mine was accepted without any problem.

You should see the police clearance certificate too! It is so pathetic that I was convinced it wasn't the real thing at all and simply an acknowledgement! (Advance warning for when you get to that stage!)

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Timeline

Has anyone encountered this situation.....the surname on the Decree Absolut is the married name instead of the maiden name.

Basically, when the divorce was filed, it was filed as "Sacha Jones versus Steven Jones" instead of Sacha Smith (maiden name) versus Steven Jones. So obviously the Decree Absolut came back as Sacha Jones, which is all fine until....

My fiance started the application for my K1 visa where the name we used on the application was Sacha Smith (maiden name) instead of Sacha Jones. And having sent alone with it, the Decree Absolut which said Sacha Jones, I believe they may require some proof that my name has officially been reverted back?

I have applied to have my name officially changed back to my maiden name (via UK deed poll), but can you tell me whether this is necessary for the application?

Edited by Sacha

2nd March 2006 - I-129F Sent

13th March 2006 - NOA1 & Cheque cashed

30th June 2006 - Received RFE re IMBRA

3rd July 2006 - Mailed RFE to CSC

4th July 2006 - Touched re RFE

5th July 2006 - Touched

18th July 2006 - Touched confirmed receipt for RFE. #######?! I know they received the RFE on 4th July!! Skanks!!!

17th August 2006 - NOA2 finally!!!

11th September 2006 - Package 3 sent to US Consulate (DS-230 part 1, DS-156, DS-156K)

8th October 2006 - Sent checklist to Consulate to confirm that all documents are available for interview

13th October 2006 - Medical (11:30am) - Friday 13th Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!

7th December 2006 - Interview at 10am

7th December 2006 - Consular requested "Proof of non-existence of birth certificate"

15th December 2006 - Courier picked up "Proof of non existence of birth certficate" - what I did? I contacted my lawyer in Vietnam and asked him to search for my NON-EXISTENCE birth certificate and had him write an affidavit of his finding. What a waste of time and money!!

22nd December 2006 - K1 Approved. Finally!

www.johnandtuyen.com

Character is destiny

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.