snapdragon

CR1 visa entry, already have SSN - ok to work?

4 posts in this topic

Hi all

I've just received my CR1 visa and will be heading to the states in a manner of weeks.

I have a SSN from going over on a J1 visa several years ago. The SSC states "only valid with DHS authorization".

On the i130 forms I entered my SSN and ticked the box requesting a new card to be sent to me. I've since read on here that the results of that are unreliable, although most of the stories I've read pertain to people over on K1/fiance visa, not CR1.

When I enter the USA, am I automatically eligible to work? Should I wait for a new card, or contact SSA and change my details (name, immigration status) myself? Do I need to wait for GC to arrive?

Cheers

You are eligible to work! Take a look at form I-9 (That is letter i then 9) and see the requirements for work eligibility. You should find a I-551 stamp and SS Card on there.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

you are eligible to for from day one and infact you do not even need a new SSN card. Your old one would work perfectly, all you have to do is provide your GC or your I551 stamp with your existing SSN card and that would be enough.

I was in same situation and never had any problem, in fact I personally I think its good idea to keep the card which says DHS authorization required.

Less chances of it being stolen and mis-used, as for someone to use it they will also need a second form of Id.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.