twitchy

i-134 question

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was reviewing the I-134 form and there is a part about real estate on it.

In my divorce, I let my ex keep the house, and signed a quit claim deed, etc. We had an 80/20 loan, and the mortgage company would only let him assume the 80% portion of the loan. The remaining 20% loan still has my name on it, although I have a hold harmless agreement and the quit claim deed has been filed. My ex is in possession of the house and still making payments since the divorce three years ago. Does the 20% loan and house still need to be claimed on the paperwork when I send it in?

My ex is still trying to find a way to get my name off that loan also, but hasn't been able to yet.

Edited by twitchy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I was reviewing the I-134 form and there is a part about real estate on it.

In my divorce, I let my ex keep the house, and signed a quit claim deed, etc. We had an 80/20 loan, and the mortgage company would only let him assume the 80% portion of the loan. The remaining 20% loan still has my name on it, although I have a hold harmless agreement and the quit claim deed has been filed. My ex is in possession of the house and still making payments since the divorce three years ago. Does the 20% loan and house still need to be claimed on the paperwork when I send it in?

My ex is still trying to find a way to get my name off that loan also, but hasn't been able to yet.

No assets MUST be listed on the I-134. Only assets that you need to use, or just want to list need to be there. If your income alone meets or beats the 125% requirement for your household size plus the beneficiary, then you can leave the entire assets portion of the form blank.

When wanting to use property as an asset, you need to have an appraisal done and deduct the amount still owed to arrive at the net value. You don't even own the house anymore, so it is not like it is an asset for you anyway. You do not have to list your debts. The consulate only cares about your gross income, and/or liquid assets you may be claiming, to be above the 125% requirement.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.