Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Iyawo Ijebu

Question On Affidavit Of Support Post Divorce

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Some recent thread made me curious.

I'm trying to understand the implications of the I-864. AFAIK, once signed only if the Beneficiary attains Citizenship, works over 40 quarters, dies or leaves the country (can someone define leaving the country?) can the document become invalidated.

So if Petitioner goes through a separation/divorce is he/she under any obligation to report the information of a status change to USCIS? I know it doesn't release the I-864 but do they need to know that a critical basis for the approval of the visa/status is broken?

Let's say a petitioner does goes through a divorce, how would he/she know when the I-864 is invalidated?

Let's say Petitioner A signs a I864 for Beneficiary B and they later divorce, if/when Petitioner A files for new Beneficiary C does he/she need to account for Beneficiary B in calculating poverty guidelines?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The term leaves the country refers to abandoning their permanent resident status by handing their green card in to the consulate or CBP. They can also just leave the country and allow their status to expire without telling anyone.

Concerning the divorce situation, the only information immigration will need from the petitioner is an up-dated I-865 if their address changes due to the divorce.

Concerning the petitioner and future foreign spouses, you will need to include your ex-spouse when determining household size if you are still obligated to the previous I-864 contract.

Good Luck

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you are on good terms with the ex(es) you will need to assume you are still on the hook. You can't get information on someone else from the governement so they would have to tell you when they meet the requirements to let you off the hook. Many never work/ get citizenship or leave. I guess you could pick on the dying part from a well constructed google search. ( They probably won't tell you that they died ) Either party has to inform USCIS of change of address.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.