LoveTurtle

85 Years Old Joint Sponsor?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, Every one!

My future husband and I intend to marry this coming December in US and then I return to my country to apply for a CR-1/IR-1 for my minor son and I. My question is concerning to the affidavit of support requirements, because my future husband's income does not meet the required for immigration that he may be my sponsor. His mother is a pensioner and is willing to be his joint sponsor, but she is 85 years old.

:help: Based on this, I would like to know if any one here could answer for sure if the immigration laws determine a limit of age for a person to be accepted as a joint sponsor for a CR-1/IR-1 purpose.

If so, could you give me the source of that information, please?

I appreciate your help before hand.

Thank you so much! :)

Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

based on intution, i don't think your mom's pension is enough to support 3 people. it is also questionable too. maybe she has property(ies) and that might work too.

"Family time is very precious and you should cherish every moment of it."

01/20/12 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.

01/26/12 - NOA1 received and processing at Vermont.

06/28/12 - NOA2 announced on status check.

06/29/12 - NVC received case learned on 07/2/12.

06/30/12 - Hard copy NOA2 received.

07/09/12 - NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued.

07/16/12 - Receive and Sent DS-3032 via email.

07/17/12 - Mailed DS-3032 via mail, AOS bill received via email, paid online, Optin email sent.

07/18/12 - Optin accepted and new case number, AOS marked paid, emailed AOS packet.

07/24/12 - Assigned as Agent, IV Fee bill received via email, paid online.

07/25/12 - IV Fee marked paid, emailed IV packet.

07/31/12 - Emailed GZO Supplemental Packet 3.

08/02/12 - Case completed and commenced final review.

08/03/12 - Shipped all copies of forms/letters/documents to my wife - arriving on 8/9/12.

08/06/12 - Case completed final review.

08/09/12 - Appointment letter received via email interview date set 9/6/12.

08/14/12 - Medical exam done.

08/15/12 - Medical exam results all normal.

09/06/12 - Submitted required documents at the embassy and interview set next day at 0730.

09/07/12 - Visa approved, click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=10401 .

09/14/12 - Visa received on hand!

10/07/12 - Arrived at NYC! click here for review http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-poe-reviews.php?entry=15293

10/20/12 - Received welcome letter from USCIS.

10/25/12 - Green Card received!

"Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions." - Sun-Tzu

04/27/13 - Submitted DS-160 online for parent-in-laws and sister-in-law.

05/01/13 - Paid DS-160 or MRV Fee Payments on CGI Stanley.

05/03/13 - Made appointment for 05/16/13 on CGI Stanley.

05/16/13 - Arrived at GUZ and impromptu notice on the front it was closed.

05/30/13 - B2 visa interview passed! Read review here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/433263-b2-visa-was-approved-for-parentinlaw/ <p>

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous patience." - ADM Hyman G. Rickover

08/08/14 - Mailed I-175 application.

08/11/14 - I-175 arrived at VSC.

08/18/14 - Received NOA1 with date 08/12/14.

08/27/14 - Received biometrics appointment for 09/09/14.

02/27/15 - GC in production from email notification.

03/02/15 - Received NOA2 with approval dated 02/25/15.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi, Every one!

My future husband and I intend to marry this coming December in US and then I return to my country to apply for a CR-1/IR-1 for my minor son and I. My question is concerning to the affidavit of support requirements, because my future husband's income does not meet the required for immigration that he may be my sponsor. His mother is a pensioner and is willing to be his joint sponsor, but she is 85 years old.

:help: Based on this, I would like to know if any one here could answer for sure if the immigration laws determine a limit of age for a person to be accepted as a joint sponsor for a CR-1/IR-1 purpose.

If so, could you give me the source of that information, please?

I appreciate your help before hand.

Thank you so much! :)

Thanks

There is no formal age limit. However, I would recommend you look for a sponsor other than an elderly relative. Affidavits of support are found acceptable based on a judgment call by a Consular officer as to how likely it is, the intending immigrant will become a public charge. Elderly sponsors are generally not expected to actually be around to meet any sponsorship obligations related to repaying the government BECAUSE their obligation ends with their death. Better for the spouse to improve income. Short of that, a more viable joint sponsor would be advised.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

:)

Thank you, Guys. I actually didn't inform you that I myself have a lifetime pension that is over 100% of the 125% we need for our family required. And I will continue to receive the pension even after becoming an US citizen. So my future mother in love would only add more information to our papers. She does not have any property.

Any way, Thank you for your help.

Edited by LoveTurtle

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

:)

Thank you, Guys. I actually didn't informed you that I myself have a lifetime pension that is over 100% of the 125% we need for our family required. And I will continue to receive the pension even after becoming an US citizen. So my future mother in love would only add more information to our papers. She does not have any property.

Any way, Thank you for your help.

If your income will continue after you leave Brazil, you can add that income to your husband's income in order to qualify. See the I-864 instructions for how to do that.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

If your income will continue after you leave Brazil, you can add that income to your husband's income in order to qualify. See the I-864 instructions for how to do that.

Yes, this is right. I have read that form instruction you suggested and that was why we chose to marry first and apply for a CR-1, instead of a K-1.

But we always feel a little insecure when the matter is money :wacko: - we all know how it is sooooo important to US.

Any way, I guess we will be all right! Thank you again :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.