Hendea3

Am I allowed to apply for unemployment?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I became a US Resident in March 2011 (K-1), I was hired in June 2011 and have worked full time for that company ever since....well until this past Wednesday when my entire department was laid off. Am I allowed to apply for Unemployment? I know my husband signed something in regards to him being financially responsible for me for the next 10 yrs... so I wouldn't be allowed to apply for food stamps etc. BUT everyone I am speaking with tells me that unemployment is a bit different so I should be eligible...but they know nothing about the immigration aspect of things... I'm just not sure if it is against any of the rules or not. I don't want to mess anything up...

Thanks in advance!

**FYI I'm not sure where to post this so please move accordingly****

Unemployment is insurance paid for by your previous company (like health insurance w/out a co-pay).

Apply immediately as they do NOT back date (at least in Texas) normally.

Regards,

dc

NEW YORK Residents Before You Apply For Unemployment: Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What employment do I need to qualify for benefits?

A:

You must have worked and been paid wages for work in at least two calendar quarters in your base period,

AND

You must have been paid at least $1,600 in wages in one of the calendar quarters in your base period,

AND

The total wages paid to you in your base period must be one and one-half times your high quarter wages.

We use no more than $8,910 of your high quarter earnings to determine if you qualify. You must have earned at least half that amount ($4,455) in the other base period quarters.

If you qualify using the Basic base period, we use that period to establish your claim.

Read the full statement here Then file! :thumbs:

Edited by WrightFamily

USCIS

05/29/2011: Married

08/12/2011: Sent I-130 packet.

08/15/2011: NOA1, Priority Date

02/22/2012: NOA2 - Approved

02/25/2012: NOA2 - Received hard copy in mail

NVC

03/06/2012: NVC received

03/07/2012: NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned

03/08/2012: DS3032 sent by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Re-send DS3032 by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Received (2)Email with DS-3032 Kit and AOS Bill instructions

03/14/2012: AOS bill appears as PAID

03/16/2012: Mailed AOS package (I-864)USPS EXPRESS

03/16/2012: DS-3032 Accepted Via Beneficiary Email (Took 8 DAYS from 1st Email)

03/20/2012: IV bill invoiced & paid $404.00

03/21/2012: IV bill Payment reflecting PAID / AOS checklist received

03/30/2012: IV package DS-230 sent via USPS Priority

04/02/2012: IV package Delivered @ 11:55 am w/signature

04/12/2012: Re-Sent DS-230 Part 1 W/Photocopy of receipt from Hong Kong Police Via USPS EXPRESS

04/13/2012: DS-230 Part 1 package Delivered to NVC ATTN:DR @11:52am

04/17/2012: CASE COMPLETE (41 Days @NVC)

04/22/2012: Request Expedite

04/24/2012: Expedite Approved!(2days)

04/25/2012: Case sent to U.S. Consulate General in HONG KONG

Medical / US Consulate / POE:

04/30/2012: U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong received

05/16/2012: Interview Scheduled May 22, 2012

05/22/2012: Interview APPROVED!!!!!!

05/26/2012: Visa in Hand (9 months 11 days from NOA1)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone, I did apply and now they are questioning my right to work in USA....ugh...as if the Alien # from my green card on the initial application wasn't their first clue???? I'm sure it will work out in the end just annoying...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.