grayrhino

proof of unemployment for I-134??

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My fiancee was talking to the embassy in Japan the other day. I'm living in Japan and therefore not working in America. I'm having a family member be an I-134 cosponsor with me. Anyway, the embassy told her that she would need to submit proof of my unemployment from the IRS at her interview.

Any guesses what that means?? Is that just my income tax return from 2005? It didn't make any sense to me. Why would I have to prove that I'm NOT working in the U.S. It's not like it helps my case.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated, and it will save me another $15 call to the embassy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2006/03/05 - engagement

2006/04/06 - sent I-129F to NSC from Japan

2006/04/24 - NOA1

2006/06/14 - application forwarded to CSC

2006/06/23 - RFE "sent" by CSC

2006/07/02 - RFE received in mail

2006/07/23 - "RFE received" confirmation from CSC

2006/08/25 - NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

In a round about way the Visa officer is asking were you employed and working, even though not in the United States. The rule is that even if an American is employed in a job not in the U.S.A. they still need to file a Tax Return with the IRS even though they may be exempt from paying tax.

If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation. If you were not required under U.S. tax law for any other reason, attach a written explanation including evidence of the exemption and how you are subject to it. Residence outside the United States dose not exempt U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents from filing a U.S. Federal income tax return.

More about this can be found here: http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq13.html

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Thanks YuandDan

Yes, I was working here in Japan, and luckily I did file my taxes this year even though I didn't owe anything. I was just worried that they required something in addition to my tax return. But it doesn't look like they do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2006/03/05 - engagement

2006/04/06 - sent I-129F to NSC from Japan

2006/04/24 - NOA1

2006/06/14 - application forwarded to CSC

2006/06/23 - RFE "sent" by CSC

2006/07/02 - RFE received in mail

2006/07/23 - "RFE received" confirmation from CSC

2006/08/25 - NOA2

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I lived with my wife during the K3 process and did not work in the U.S. either. I also used a family member as a cosponsor, but also submitted an I-134 for myself along with 3 years tax returns and a letter with a detailed explanation of the situation. They had no problem with that.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi,

Did you investigate getting married and filing via DCF in Tokyo?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.