~PalmTreeGurl~

Life/career change

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well, I am thinking to make a career change in my life. I'm always stressed and tired of some of the things going on. This is about to be my 12yr with Walmart & I'm only 1 1/2 months away from my 12yr year which will be a raise plus 3 more weeks of paid vacation. I have 401k and stock in the company. However with all of that I just applied for a position at a bank. Anyone have pros & cons for working at a bank. Being that I've been 12 yrs in customer service and 10 of the as a manager I'm sure it's comparable in that aspect.

It's scary to think about a life change like this but it may be necessary for my life!

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Well, I am thinking to make a career change in my life. I'm always stressed and tired of some of the things going on. This is about to be my 12yr with Walmart & I'm only 1 1/2 months away from my 12yr year which will be a raise plus 3 more weeks of paid vacation. I have 401k and stock in the company. However with all of that I just applied for a position at a bank. Anyone have pros & cons for working at a bank. Being that I've been 12 yrs in customer service and 10 of the as a manager I'm sure it's comparable in that aspect.

It's scary to think about a life change like this but it may be necessary for my life!

Zaid&Salma'sMommy can probably advise you on the pros and cons of bank jobs - I believe she has been working at a bank for several years now.

But questions you should ask yourself -

Is the job at the bank a parallel move, or an advancement ? Does it pay more ? Are the benefits better ? Will they match the vacation time you get now ? (Try to bargain for that if they make you a offer.)

Most of all - will it put you in a better position to advance in your career ? Do you feel you've hit a plateau at Walmart and need something bigger/better ?

A bank job would generally be more prestigious on your resume than a Walmart job, even if the title/duties are similar.

Otherwise, the Walmart stock is good - I'd hang on to that. And your 401K plan can be transferred to a new employer's plan.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Great questions to ask if interviewed and job is offered. The annual base pay is maybe $1k or 2 more than what I get now but I do get a lot of benefits with walmart with health/dental insurance, 401k & stock. Im not interested in getting to the top any where, Im interested in paying our bills comfortably, health insurance and taking care of my health and less stress so I can try to get pregnant. So if it offered health insurance, it would be a parallel job. I can be pregnant and work at a bank, not with me as a manager with walmart running around and as stressed out in that place. I feel that is part of the reason besides health why I haven't gotten pregnant is bcz of the stress.

Edited by ~PalmTreeGurl~

Timeline

Hi, The way things are going now with the job market that's not a very good decision. My opinion, Stay with the job you have security in. My sister works for Wally World and she LOVES IT! Walmart has great benefits. And 3 weeks PAID vacation, give that up to start over? No way not me! lol.... The Best in whatever you decide to do (F)

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Hi, The way things are going now with the job market that's not a very good decision. My opinion, Stay with the job you have security in. My sister works for Wally World and she LOVES IT! Walmart has great benefits. And 3 weeks PAID vacation, give that up to start over? No way not me! lol.... The Best in whatever you decide to do (F)

There is no security in any job and if she had the position I had for 12 yrs and the stress of it in 2012 she'd run fast. I've been nearly a fool to stay there as long as I have.

Timeline

There is no security in any job and if she had the position I had for 12 yrs and the stress of it in 2012 she'd run fast. I've been nearly a fool to stay there as long as I have.

Then you already know what you want to do...Leave the job for the bank...Take the chance

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Great questions to ask if interviewed and job is offered. The annual base pay is maybe $1k or 2 more than what I get now but I do get a lot of benefits with walmart with health/dental insurance, 401k & stock. Im not interested in getting to the top any where, Im interested in paying our bills comfortably, health insurance and taking care of my health and less stress so I can try to get pregnant. So if it offered health insurance, it would be a parallel job. I can be pregnant and work at a bank, not with me as a manager with walmart running around and as stressed out in that place. I feel that is part of the reason besides health why I haven't gotten pregnant is bcz of the stress.

Stress is a huge issue, and very important in deciding which job would be better.

The pay difference is negligible. Please don't sell yourself short as far as advancement - if you're happy in a line of work and you're good at it, it feels great to move up to new responsibilities (and more compensation.) And as your company values you more and more, they tend to treat you even better.

I think a huge issue for you is: Will the bank offer comparable or better health benefits ? You have mentioned some of your health issues and you have to have good insurance. You have to be delicate in inquiring on this at the interview, though, as you don't want the bank to think you have health problems and are going to be out sick a lot. Don't mention the stress factor at Walmart or the pregnancy plans either. Just tell them you are ready and excited to take on new challenges and stuff like that.

If the job at the bank is a full-time, non-temp job, I am sure they would offer some kind of health plan. You will have to compare if it's better than what you have now.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Yes its a full time position. When answering the questions for the job I selected its for the hours and commute to work plus Other (which is just for a change in my life) I did not select stress, or due to other managers or associates or customers bcz I deal well with all those things.

And my attendance is excellent at my job and has been. I also have a high amount of the highest evaluations for my annual evals.

Edited by ~PalmTreeGurl~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I personally wouldn't work in any of those industries, mainly because of the reasons you've stated: stress. How long did it take you to get 3 weeks paid vacation with Walmart? The health insurance issue is critical, but that may be obtained through mostly any employer nowadays if hired full time.

That said, ultimately, it is about your well-being and total happiness. Money can only take you too far. I've been in your shoes and I always take into account overall fit within an organization as my #1 aspect to make a decision. Organizations interview candidates, but candidates should interview organizations as well. Yes, pressing financial issues may trigger choosing the less of 2 evils or worse, take the only opportunity available. But that's only short term. 12 years is a long time to have a job you dislike. Careers are meant to make you an expert in a particular industry and to grow- which is not the same as to be promoted.

If stress and your long term plans of having a family are the main reasons why you're ready to change, dropping resumes out isn't the way to start. 12 years from now, hopefully you'll have a child. What will your career look like? Do you envision advancing your education? What are your long term plans? Fit all of these elements like a puzzle and see the big picture, leaving room to expect the unexpected. Maybe you could be a teacher and get 2 1/2 months vacation a year instead- with fully paid health insurance. If you could handle Walmart, you may be able to handle a classroom, LOL! Or you could downgrade the company size to a boutique type company- let's say- a small publishing house. One-on-one management styles, at times, work a lot better than universal non-union companies that exploit your every heartbeat and yet give you all the benefits you need. But what do you deserve: necessities or dreams' achievements? You are a fantastic couple and I know, in my heart, you deserve more than what your life necessities. A bank may be able to give you that, but you've established that for 12 years Walmart hasn't. And yes, you're right, no human resource is indispensable. Unfortunately, being non-union, you are disposable at anytime.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

To add: Working in a bank you must dress for success, clothes,shoes jewelry,hair,makeup ( at least this applies to the town I live in) All this adds up in $$$$$ and must be filtered in also.

Could be only the south that dresses that way :o your town bankers might not "over dress" like mine

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Depends of what kind of position you will have. A teller has sales goals to achieve every month wich can be stressful and annoying if you ask me ! I've been working for a bank ( a canadian bank but they are all about the same jobwise !!) for 11 years now and it all depends on the position you've been offered. As we say here in Canada " its not worth it to change 4 quarters for a dollar". The best of luck ! :)

Timeline

To add: Working in a bank you must dress for success, clothes,shoes jewelry,hair,makeup ( at least this applies to the town I live in) All this adds up in $$$$$ and must be filtered in also.

Could be only the south that dresses that way :o your town bankers might not "over dress" like mine

Spending money on those things would make Adam extremely happy. lol I have nice things but he always wants me to have better. I on the other hand don't like to spend/waste money. And here in the country, I haven't seen too many people that dress to impress quite the same way like they would in Houston or Atlanta.

Timeline

Depends of what kind of position you will have. A teller has sales goals to achieve every month wich can be stressful and annoying if you ask me ! I've been working for a bank ( a canadian bank but they are all about the same jobwise !!) for 11 years now and it all depends on the position you've been offered. As we say here in Canada " its not worth it to change 4 quarters for a dollar". The best of luck ! :)

An advantage for me would be I do that already with Walmart with our Credit Card goals each month, product replacement plans for merchandise and raising money for the Texas Childrens hospital. Goals for me is an every day thing. Also the bank is behind and half a mile from my walmart. Same customers. My motto to my management team is that 99% of the customers love me & the 1% that doesn't -walmart should love me for. Its my every day job to find every way possible to make the customer happy & have the best experience and be taken care of as they want.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

At my 7th yr with Walmart I got 3 paid weeks of vacation. At year 15 I will get 4 weeks a year of paid vacation.

:wacko: Really? I'm sorry the contract is so stiff. Does this count personal days? I am assuming you also have a sick bank accrued, right?

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.