Sarah & Blair

Slightly confusing conversation with officer at POE

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Greetings VJ'ers!

I did my POE in Detroit on Sunday, May the 13th. Everything went great and so-on, the process took about an hour, due to waiting in line and the officer never having done a K-1 before.

What was a bit confusing was this: There was an Immigration officer sitting next to the guy that processed my visa, and after everything was finished, he asked me. "What are you going to do after getting married?" I of course replied, "File for AOS and wait for my EAD, then get meself a job!". He responded that I needed to get to the office with an acronym I can't remember and adjust myself to a CR visa, then I can work immediately. This is confusing, because I've combed these forums (and gov't web sites) for a year now and that's the first time I'd ever heard that. I was (and still am) under that assumption that after we get married, we file for AOS and just wait that out.

Has anyone else heard this before? Is there any truth to it? The immigration guy seemed quite sure that I could do this, and let's be honest... the sooner we can work, the better!

Help!

B.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Greetings VJ'ers!

I did my POE in Detroit on Sunday, May the 13th. Everything went great and so-on, the process took about an hour, due to waiting in line and the officer never having done a K-1 before.

What was a bit confusing was this: There was an Immigration officer sitting next to the guy that processed my visa, and after everything was finished, he asked me. "What are you going to do after getting married?" I of course replied, "File for AOS and wait for my EAD, then get meself a job!". He responded that I needed to get to the office with an acronym I can't remember and adjust myself to a CR visa, then I can work immediately. This is confusing, because I've combed these forums (and gov't web sites) for a year now and that's the first time I'd ever heard that. I was (and still am) under that assumption that after we get married, we file for AOS and just wait that out.

Has anyone else heard this before? Is there any truth to it? The immigration guy seemed quite sure that I could do this, and let's be honest... the sooner we can work, the better!

Help!

B.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:blink: Ah, the people at the Detroit POE. Not the smartest bunch.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who lost my medical.

Yeah I got that impression. It was kinda comical though, when we went to sign in for our place in line and told the officer we were a K-1, he had this look of fear on his face, and asked all the other officers if they knew how to do a K-1. One of them winced like he just got punched in the stomach, and everyone else shook their heads. I feared the worst at that point! :wacko:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.