pascanda

I-130 filers post K-1 denial, for interracial couples going thru Lagos

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

How was the CR-1 process/interview vs the K-1? After your K-1 denial, did you wait to hear back from USCIS or did you cancel your petition and just get married? What type of evidence should I collect for a bonafide marriage? Was it difficult to get approved being an interracial couple thru Lagos? I'm a little gun shy after our denial. NVC has sent our case back to USCIS and they will review our case in approximately 6 months! I don't want to wait that long and am plannin a trip back to Nigeria in July so we can get married.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

How was the CR-1 process/interview vs the K-1? After your K-1 denial, did you wait to hear back from USCIS or did you cancel your petition and just get married? What type of evidence should I collect for a bonafide marriage? Was it difficult to get approved being an interracial couple thru Lagos? I'm a little gun shy after our denial. NVC has sent our case back to USCIS and they will review our case in approximately 6 months! I don't want to wait that long and am plannin a trip back to Nigeria in July so we can get married.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You need to find out the reason for denial so you can overcome that when filing your CR1... You need to withdraw the K1 to be able to file the CR1... I understand your concern but you really need to find out why it was denied so it won't be an issue at the next interview.

Bonafide marriage info prob should include similar documents like chats, emails, letters, gift receipts, phone records, skype records, photos, marriage license, certificate, Wedding invitations, copies of your boarding passes and flight info along with the receipt of payment for the tickets and this time you may want to include a affadavit of bonafide marriage from friends and family that know about you and your marriage. Have them notarized and include them with the i130

May also want to front load the i130 with this info... don't have to send thousands of papers but enough evidence to show you were indeed married and it's genuine.

Best of luck!

Edited by EAbbas

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The approvalsl the second time in Lagos are higher for both K1 and CR1 but not 100 percent. You still must make a solid petition , more so than the first time

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Our I-129f is still pending and the USCIS received it back in October of last year. My husband and I married 9-1-11 and are so happy we did but it is much harder now being apart than when we were just dating. We certainly don't regret getting married. I filed the I-130 in April of this year. What you choose to do will be up to you. For some reason hearing back about the I-129f is taking longer than when we filed that petition. We did allow a period of time to pass before we filed the I-130 because we wanted to take a trip together back to where my husband grew up to meet some of his family. I included that trips photos and stuff with the I-130. This process is so agonizingly slow that our I-130 petition will probably still be in limbo when our anniversay rolls around. I will be traveling back to Nigeria at that time to spend 3 weeks with my husband. WE CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT DAY. What a wonderful anniversary gift it would be if all government parties involved would get their acts together and he'd have his interview when I was there!

From posts here on VJ the majority of inter-racial relationships are denied the first time they apply for a Visa in Nigeria. My husband and I added to the list. All I can recommend that you do is follow the advice given here on VJ for what to front load your petition with. When we are finally approved I will make a detailed list for all to benefit. Take care and I wish you well on your journey.

Timeline

Our I-129f is still pending and the USCIS received it back in October of last year. My husband and I married 9-1-11 and are so happy we did but it is much harder now being apart than when we were just dating. We certainly don't regret getting married. I filed the I-130 in April of this year. What you choose to do will be up to you. For some reason hearing back about the I-129f is taking longer than when we filed that petition. We did allow a period of time to pass before we filed the I-130 because we wanted to take a trip together back to where my husband grew up to meet some of his family. I included that trips photos and stuff with the I-130. This process is so agonizingly slow that our I-130 petition will probably still be in limbo when our anniversay rolls around. I will be traveling back to Nigeria at that time to spend 3 weeks with my husband. WE CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT DAY. What a wonderful anniversary gift it would be if all government parties involved would get their acts together and he'd have his interview when I was there!

From posts here on VJ the majority of inter-racial relationships are denied the first time they apply for a Visa in Nigeria. My husband and I added to the list. All I can recommend that you do is follow the advice given here on VJ for what to front load your petition with. When we are finally approved I will make a detailed list for all to benefit. Take care and I wish you well on your journey.

I second that AlexBa. As an interracial couple, we went through the same thing as you know. Now we are married and soon to file for CR1 ourselves. Yes, front loading is very crucial at this point, and will be doing that carefully. There are no guarantees in this VJ, but second petitions do have a better chance of approval. Most of us went through the pain of the denial can relate to the agonizing hurt it causes. But then we have to find the strength to overcome that pain and continue the race to the finish line! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.