kryomek

Affadavit of Support Question

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

For the k1 AOS, if my father was the only sponsor supporting my (then)fiance when we did the K1, as I am not employed, I stay home with our baby, I did not have to turn ANYTHING in from myself at our embassy interview.

Now we are married, and my father (his now, father in law :))is still going to be the ONLY sponsor. We are unsure which he should check on form I 864, Part 1, Question 1.

BTW he is also retired, which was no problem with k1, as he still receives well over the poverty limit, so I guess then, I have another question,...Does he turn in the same forms he turned in the first time around?,

(which was different than someone who is employed.... He only had to have statements and/or deposits showing his monthly pension coming in, obviously no letter from employer, etc etc.)What about tax info? He has been retired for a year now.

Also is it still the same situation, I myself turn in NOTHING, being unemployed?? Any help would be appreciated!

You are the primary sponsor. Even if you make nothing you fill out an I-864 that says that. Your father would be the only joint sponsor. He fills out his own I-864 with all supporting info.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

For the k1 AOS, if my father was the only sponsor supporting my (then)fiance when we did the K1, as I am not employed, I stay home with our baby, I did not have to turn ANYTHING in from myself at our embassy interview.

Now we are married, and my father (his now, father in law :))is still going to be the ONLY sponsor. We are unsure which he should check on form I 864, Part 1, Question 1.

BTW he is also retired, which was no problem with k1, as he still receives well over the poverty limit, so I guess then, I have another question,...Does he turn in the same forms he turned in the first time around?,

(which was different than someone who is employed.... He only had to have statements and/or deposits showing his monthly pension coming in, obviously no letter from employer, etc etc.)What about tax info? He has been retired for a year now.

Also is it still the same situation, I myself turn in NOTHING, being unemployed?? Any help would be appreciated!

Odd. You should have still had to turn in your own I-134 for the K-1 interview.

You are the primary sponsor and will need to fill out your own I-864. You will need to provide a statement as to why you were not legally required to file taxes (because you haven't worked and receive no income).

Your father will fill out his own separate I-864 as the joint sponsor. He will need to fill in his tax info from the last 3 years on the I-864 form where it asks. He will need to provide his 2011 tax transcript. If he did not file taxes, he will also need to provide a statement as to why he was not legally required to do so. He will need proof of his pension (1099 or other form showing the amount he receives), and he can show a few months worth of recent bank statements to show the amount that is deposited each month. Your father will also need to provide proof of be being a USC or LPR.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Thanks for your responses, yeah it was odd not having to turn anything in at the k1 interview. They even chuckled when I asked over the phone if I needed to fill out the I 134, whole different thing than I had read on here, but Costa Rica is a pretty laid back embassy...lol......It does feel kinda silly having to fill out of this to say you have no income...lol......oh well............thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.