kittylondon

When did you leave your job in the UK?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey all

Just wondering how long other people gave themselves before leaving the UK to focus full time on packing, etc. I was thinking of handing in my notice when I receive the NOA2, but I work at a very busy law firm (just a legal secretary, no free advice here)! with an audit coming up, and they've asked me to stay on as long as possible - so maybe it will end up being more like when I get an interview date? What are you thinking of doing, or what did you do if you've already been through this process? I want to be able to spend time with friends and family before leaving, but I also know an extra paycheck or two will come in handy when I'm over in the US (though I have been saving for a while). Curious as to what other people decided to prioritize!

K1

10 Jan 2012: I-129F package sent

14 June 2012: NOA2

11 July 2012: Medical

30 July 2012: Interview at London Embassy (Approved!)

13 Aug 2012: Visa Received

1 Sept 2012: POE (Atlanta)

15 Sept 2012: Wedding in New Orleans

AOS

16 Nov 2012: NOA Receipt Date

20 Dec 2012: Biometrics Appointment

16 Jan 2013: EAD & AP approved

25 Jan 2013: EAD & AP Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Hey all

Just wondering how long other people gave themselves before leaving the UK to focus full time on packing, etc. I was thinking of handing in my notice when I receive the NOA2, but I work at a very busy law firm (just a legal secretary, no free advice here)! with an audit coming up, and they've asked me to stay on as long as possible - so maybe it will end up being more like when I get an interview date? What are you thinking of doing, or what did you do if you've already been through this process? I want to be able to spend time with friends and family before leaving, but I also know an extra paycheck or two will come in handy when I'm over in the US (though I have been saving for a while). Curious as to what other people decided to prioritize!

I'm in a dilemma myself, but I've essentially decided that it'll be done at NOA2 since I have to give a months notice and my contract finishes in just over a month and a half anyway, so I'll work to the end of my contract. Personally I want a month to wind down, wrap up everything here etc, it gives me plenty of time to get my affairs in order. The idea being that I get my interview, and I'll be placed to fly out within two or three weeks at most. I appreciate it does me out of a little money but this whole process is stressful enough I really would like to not have to rush my final few weeks in the UK. Plus, delivery companies like a week or twos notice for large shipments, so it works out

Timeline

Hey all

I'm having the same problem! I have to give a months notice at work too and I'm trying to think when would be the best time to hand in my notice. I was thinking when I have the interview date? Maybe two weeks before the interview and then work two weeks after, have a week to sort out and pack and then go? My fiance would like me there as soon as possible, but like you I know the extra money will come in handy! It's a tough one!

Timeline:

Dec 31st 2011- I-129F sent
August 2nd 2012- INTERVIEW- APPROVED
August 10th 2012- Visas received
August 21st 2012- P.O.E Boston!

September 11th 2012- Applied for SSN.
September 16th 2012- MARRIED!!!
September 17th 2012- Received SSN.
October 26th 2012- Sent off AOS forms.

January 16th 2013- EAD and AP card issued.
January 26th 2013- Card received in mail.

May 29th 2013- Service request, as outside of processing times.

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

July 5th 2013- Green card arrives :)

August 22nd 2014- Daughter Born!

April 17th 2015- I-751 Sent.

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

June 2nd 2015- Biometrics Appt.

February 2nd 2016- I-751 APPROVED! 10 Year Green card issued!

February 22nd 2019 Applied for Citizenship! 

March 14th 2019 - Biometrics appt.

April 23rd 2019 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!  It took 60 days!!!

See now that's the dilemma I'm coming back too

i have been saving to so my interview is on 24th may and i had 1 months notice of it so i gave 4 weeks notice then at work and now just trying to tie loose ends up

th_st-georges-day-flag.jpg

K1 visa - 10/25/2011 - 7 months 2 days

Married - 06/26/2012

AOS - 07/31/2012 - 2months 18 days

Process from filing 129-f to AOS approval 349 Days

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I quit 10 days before my flight. Im still packing and im leaving wednesday!

View my K1 -> ROC Timeline

*Filed I-129F - 21st October 2011* *Applied for SSN - 8th June 2012* *Filed I-751 (arrived) - 26th March 2015

*NOA1 - 28th October 2011* *Filed for AOS, EAD & AP - 26th June 2012* * Check cashed - 30th March 2015
*NOA2 (no RFE) - 26th January 2012* *AOS, EAD, & AP arrive at Chicago Lockbox - 28th June 2012* NOA1 - 26th March 2015 (arrived 3/4/15)

*Packet 3 sent - 27th February 2012* *Email notification of receipt - 3rd July 2012* *No biometrics letter - Service Request submitted 5/4/15
*Medical - February 28th 2012* *Check cashed - 7th July 2012* *Still no biometrics letter - 2nd Service Request submitted - 8/6/15
*Packet 4 received - 17th March 2012* *NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP - 9th July 2012* *Biometrics in Aurora, CO - 8th July 2015*
*Interview in London - 5th April 2012. APPROVED!!!* *Biometrics in Philadelphia (Drummond Road)- 7th August 2012*
*POE Newark, NJ - 16th May 2012 *Biometrics walk in at Philadelphia (Drummond Rd) - 25th July 2012*
*K1 process took 160 days* *Case Transfered to California Service Centre - 26th July 2012*
*SSN DENIED! - 17th August. 10 weeks after I applied!!*

*EAD/AP Approved - 28th August 2012* 59 days
*Married! - 1st June 2012* *EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
*EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
* Re-applied for SSN - 14th September 2012*
*Put in service request at 8mo/3days wait - 19th March 2013*

* AOS Approved!!! - 1st May 2013* Exactly 10 months after applying.

*Green card in hand - 6th May 2013

2yrdn5s0q.png

Personally I would err on the side of caution before handing in my notice at NOA2 stage. Until you have the visa in hand nothing is guaranteed and there are chances for unforeseen delays to happen that could eat into your savings or impede you and your partners plans

Jess and I are still planning our wedding so I haven't handed my notice in yet. Our wedding isn't until the end of July and knowing that we'll be dropping to one income soon we don't want to stretch our finances too much early on so we agreed it was best if I stayed on a little while longer. I have to give four weeks (28 days notice) so I'll be tendering my resignation at the end of this month, working until the end of June and then flying out the first week in July so we can get situated before the wedding. It also means that I have a few days at home with my family before I leave.

You might want to meet with HR too and see how your annual leave entitlement works, whether you can get paid for the remaining time or use that to count against your leave period. I should have roughly 2 1/2 days when I resign because I took time off for Jess coming over in March.

As for packing etc. I currently rent so I don't have the worry of selling my house, I just give the landlord a months notice that I am vacating my tenancy. Since we got the approval I've seen taking older clothes to the local charity shop, giving away/selling DVDs etc. and basically reducing what I have around me to a level that I can live off in the short term. I should be taking at most two suitcases with me, possibly posting over some stuff before too.

Good luck on your interview :)

@josey

Have a safe flight :) I'll be back home with Jess for good in a little over 50 days :D

Edited by Jessa & Liam

Timeline

Been thinking about it and I'll probably leave it till the day after the interview. Just to be sure. It's extra money and I only work 4 days a week so I still have the other 3 days to get stuff sorted out.

Timeline:

Dec 31st 2011- I-129F sent
August 2nd 2012- INTERVIEW- APPROVED
August 10th 2012- Visas received
August 21st 2012- P.O.E Boston!

September 11th 2012- Applied for SSN.
September 16th 2012- MARRIED!!!
September 17th 2012- Received SSN.
October 26th 2012- Sent off AOS forms.

January 16th 2013- EAD and AP card issued.
January 26th 2013- Card received in mail.

May 29th 2013- Service request, as outside of processing times.

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

July 5th 2013- Green card arrives :)

August 22nd 2014- Daughter Born!

April 17th 2015- I-751 Sent.

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

June 2nd 2015- Biometrics Appt.

February 2nd 2016- I-751 APPROVED! 10 Year Green card issued!

February 22nd 2019 Applied for Citizenship! 

March 14th 2019 - Biometrics appt.

April 23rd 2019 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!  It took 60 days!!!

I have handed in my notice already, I have to give 3 months though. I have supply work lined up for September.

02/17/02: KH & PH started dating

11/11/06: Married in the UK

05/10/12: Sent off I-130 via Express Mail

05/11/12: I-130 signed for at Chicago Lockbox

05/11/12: Priority date for I-130

05/21/12: Received NOA1 hardcopy VSC

You have six months to activate your visa once it's given to you - I know you probably want to be with your fiancé as soon as possible - but you could always wait until you get your interview date to give notice or even later.

Looking back I now wish I had worked a couple of extra months before moving to go over with more savings than I did. Especially as I ended up basically buying all the furniture and home stuff to make it more comfortable than my husband's bachelor pad. I had enough savings to let me not work for nearly a year but even so it would have been nice to have even more of a cushion.

Visa delivered- End of July

Worked 4 week notice- month of August

Prepared for moving- month of September

POE- September 30

I hope all who are quitting early don't have any hiccups. And I hope you don't get put in AP for months. It's not a sure thing until you're holding the visa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I also didn't quit until after I had received my visa. I had given myself a goal date well in excess of visa processing times to begin with, so there would be no disappointment on either side.

I had my interview the end of August, quit work at the beginning of September and didn't enter the US until November. Looking back I really appreciate the extra months I gave myself - I had plenty of time to save money, pack and spend time with family and friends. My parents still mention how glad they were to have two months with me before I left. If you're in no huge hurry, I definitely recommend taking your time and delaying quitting your job.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline

thanks for all the replies guys! i think i will keep working up until the interview, you've convinced me noa2 is a little too early! i'm on a temp contract so only have to give a week's notice and my boss is very supportive of my situation anyway. i have been saving for a couple of years though, and there's no doubt i'm jumping on a plane the day after i get my visa in hand! my parents are coming to new orleans a few weeks later, so we'll get to spend time together there as a complete family - fiance included :)

Edited by kittylondon

K1

10 Jan 2012: I-129F package sent

14 June 2012: NOA2

11 July 2012: Medical

30 July 2012: Interview at London Embassy (Approved!)

13 Aug 2012: Visa Received

1 Sept 2012: POE (Atlanta)

15 Sept 2012: Wedding in New Orleans

AOS

16 Nov 2012: NOA Receipt Date

20 Dec 2012: Biometrics Appointment

16 Jan 2013: EAD & AP approved

25 Jan 2013: EAD & AP Card received

How long is your notice period? I would at least wait until your interview is scheduled (they give you 4-6 wks notice). We sent our final packet in just 2 days after another vj'er in the exact same situation, and got an interview a couple of weeks later, so it really is luck of the draw/which mail stack you're in! I am on 3 months notice, so have already handed in my resignation (also, we can comfortably live on DH's salary), with a view to finishing 3 July. DH is only on 4 weeks, so will resign in early June to finish the same date. We have a mate's wedding to attend here in the UK at the end of June, so knew even if we are approved tomorrow (*fingers crossed*), we won't move until at least July. Our flat is already under contract, and we have told the buyer we intend to move mid-July. That'll give us 12 days to do the last of our packing/loading up the shipping container, but we have already started selling/donating things we don't want to move and don't use often, and will slowly be selling/donating other things as July approaches. To be fair, even with a 2 br flat, we don't have a lot of stuff, and also don't plan to take a huge amount with us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.