a&o

Experience getting medical tests done in Accra Ghana

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Just want to share for others going through the K-1 process in Accra:

The medicals instructions come in packet 4 (the packet with the interview date), even though the cover letter (checklist) on packet 3 states that medical info is attached (it's not).

The exam includes a check-up, stool sample, chest x-ray, other labs, and HIV blood test. You also have to get the vaccinations, even though it seems like elsewhere in the world this isn't required at this stage.

You can choose between Akai House in Osu and Holy Trinity Clinic in North Kaneshi. At Akai House you can do the medical exam and vaccinations but then get refered to 37 Military Hospital for the chest x-ray. At Holy Trinity you can do the exam and chest x-ray but have to do the vaccinations back at Akai House. For the HIV test, everyone must go to MedLab in Roman Ridge.

We chose Holy Trinity because I've never had a good experience at the small and stuffy Akai House clinic. So far (the proof is when the reults make it to the embassy), we're glad we chose Holy Trinity. It's a nice, big building with clear instructions on lots of signs and the staff and nurses were extremely friendly. There was no wait (maybe because most people go to Akai House). Best of all, it was cheaper. At Akai House the receptionist told us it would be at least 3 million cedis for the exam, x-ray, and vaccinations. Instead, here's what we paid by going through the Trinity House/Medlab/Akai House (vaccinations) combo:

med exam/x-ray/labs : 510,000 cedis

HIV test: 400,000 cedis

vaccinations: 990,000 cedis

(total 1.9 million cedis)

Apparently we still have to pay another 300,000 for the second Hep B vaccination shot, but adding that it's still less than 3 million - even including the tro tro and taxi fares!

The vaccinations he had to get were Tetanus, Chicken Pox, Hepatitis B, Measles Mumps Rubella, and Polio. (According to the U.S. immigration info site, Hep B and chicken pox vaccination for those who have had chicken pox, as O has, , isn't even supposed to be required but the crabby nurse at Akai House insisted we had to do it.) Also, it's important to note that if you get the vaccinations anywhere other than Akai House the embassy won't accept it. (what a racket, eh?) So even though O had MMR and polio vaccines as a child, he had to get them again. Ugh.

Also: since we did the exam at Holy Trinity and then went to Akai House for the vaccinations, they were particularly cranky with us. But luckily they don't send the vaccination certificate to the embassy. You take the vaccination record card with you. So they can't do anything to stall things. (I'm getting too paranoid, I know.)

The people at Medlab for the HIV test were totally professional and nice, too. Not a long wait, either.

One more note: be sure to not write anything on the medical forms when you get them. Not even your name and address, etc. The doccs have to do that. Also, bring your notification letter with the case number because that goes on the forms. And bring 3 passport photos (normal passport size, not 2x2 inch U.S. size) and your passport. Oh, and here's a kind of weird tip: be sure to be prepared to complete your stool sample at the exam. :)

Another long day!

Edited by a&o

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Filed: Timeline

You are fortunate everything went smoothly. Medilab and Akai lost my husband's medical results and he had to do the entire process over except for the ten vaccinations they gave him - which they gave to him all in one day.

Sent I130 September 23, 2004

Approved January 5, 2005

Interview date July 21, 2005

Told to pick up visa October 2005, but no visa issued.

Case went missing for six months - from October 2005 through April 2006

Emailed Embassy constantly, sent letter directly to director of Embassy by fax and snail mail

Response received April 2006 from Director - full of inaccuracies, but placed my husband's name on list to enter Embassy.

Husband entered Embassy in late April - told case worker working on our case quit, they were short staffed so no one touched our case; told to return in July 2006 to pick up visa.

July 2006 - no visa issued still, told case went to US for secondary approval.

August 2006 - US said case was approved in January 2005 and they did not have it.

September, October, November and December 2006, Embassy kept insisting they did not have our case. I emailed EVERY day until finally, response said my husband was called on the phone to pick the visa up six months earlier. My husband has NEVER been called on the phone by the Embassy.

Told to come pick up visa January 19 - said the "Ghanaians who print the visas didn't print them"

Changed date on blue slip and told to come back. Finally received the visa February 2, 2007.

THANK GOD!

Arriving in USA very very soon and I can't wait!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

a&o thanks for posting all this useful medical info..When my husband gets to this point we will definitely refer back to everything you posted! Good Luck on getting an earlier interview date..hope it works out for you!

March 8, 2010 N-400 priority filing date

April 21, 2010-biometrics apppointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I concur with a&o...I did go to Holy Trinity and Medlabs. Medicals, HIV and police certificates have a shelf live of 6 mos-one year. So I've gone through all of these processes. Twice. Plus with a child to boot! The folks are Holy Trinity were great with us and the second time we went, they didn't even charge us all the fees since they were really just re-processing the old paperwork with an updated the chest x-ray. Medlabs. I recommend going in the afternoon. Most people go early in the morning and usually end up waiting a while. If you go after about 1 pm, the place is cleared out of folks and the office is empty. We've never had a problem as far as that and I thought there were super helpful and friendly as well.

1/5/2007 WEDDING DAY. ACCRA GHANA.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

All4Kweku, thanks for posting additional input on your medical exam experience..Now my husband and I have a much clearer idea of what we are going to be facing in Ghana....I just hope and pray that things get better over there.....Reading about everyone's experience in Ghana is real eye opener but at the same time its make me more worried about whats to come..We are just about done with our documents to submit for packet 3 but it sounds like we have a lot more roadblocks to encounter in Ghana!

March 8, 2010 N-400 priority filing date

April 21, 2010-biometrics apppointment

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

latest info concerening medical examination for immigrant visa in Ghana:the current price at holy trinity medical centre charges ghs 460 for the medical examination for immigrant visa.at holy trinity the nurse are friendly, respectful,helpful and caring.....it only took me some few hours to complete my medical examination.they have stop HIV TEST,urine test and stool test.it also took me one week to recieve the sealed medical results.they checked my eye ,physical body examination,blood for syhillis,vaccination,height,weight,blood pressure ...,i must confess it is stress free medical examination.holy trinity medical center is the best so far.keep it up

• 9 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks folks,

I was recommending Akai house to my fiancé but looks like we will do Holy Trinity instead

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

• 1 year later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Is the pricing correct? 1.9 million Ghana cedis has to be in the $400,000 USD range

Is the pricing correct? 1.9 million Ghana cedis has to be in the $400,000 USD range

Lol I'm now relaizing this threead is 10 years old

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.