daphne2109

question about form I-765(EAD) and SSN

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everybody,

sorry if maybe Im asking something that has already been asked, but I havent been

browsing around VJ site for a while, and I have 2 questions just before getting the certificate

of marriage and starting the very well known "adventure" of AOS process:

- In Point 16 of the Form I-765 what letter and number of the category you have placed?

©(9) :since I will file Form I-765 together with form I-485, or (a)(6):as I came into US with a

K1 Visa. Can anyone let me understand that? All the instructions related to this form (I-765)

seem to be very confusing for the people that have to fill it out on purpose!!!!!!!!

- since I have a SSN that I got long time ago when I worked in US, should I ask for a new

card with my married name now that I just got married, right after I get my marriage certificate

or just right within the 90 days expire date mentioned in the card I94 on my passport?

Thanks alot for anybody who might help me to have my ideas more clear!!!!!! :help:

K1 VISA: 07/25/06 GOT VISA!!!!!!

30th of September 2006 WEDDING

AOS:01/29/2007 received Permanent Resident Card (GC)

ROC:04/11/2009 received Permanent Resident Card (GC) expiring in 2019!!!!

N-400:

on 05/21/2010 Sent out docs to Arizona Lockbox Facility address via USPS

on 06/30/2010 Biometrics

on 09/24/2010 Interview Day - Passed the Test

on 10/19/2010 Oath - USA CITIZEN!!!!!

on 10/20/2010 I requested the US Passport

on 11/02/2010 the US Passport was received by Priority Mail

on 11/03/2010 @ the Social Security Office I changed my status from Resident to US Citizen

ON THE 3RD OF NOV.2010 MY JOURNEY ENDS, WHICH STARTED IN DEC. 2005!!!!!!!THANKS TO VJ & VJ PPL!!!!!!!!

daphne2109

Put down ( c ) ( 9 ) if you are filing for EAD concurrently with the I-485. Category ( a ) ( 6 ) is only if you want a temporary EAD which will expire with your K-1 visa.

You can get a new SS Card when ever you get your marriage certificate. You do NOT have to do it within the 90 days, so relax!

Jahan.

Click here for our complete timeline; from K1 all the way to citizenship.

Filed: Timeline

To apply for a corrected SSN card to update the SSN record when there has been a name change due to marriage only the marriage document (foreign or domestic) is needed if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride takes the groom's last name, groom takes bride's last name, compound name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse's original name for either or both parties.

Note: State law must also allow the type of name change wishing to be made

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information, e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or parent's names, and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her current Social Security number record.

The applicant will need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's names which does not match SSA records, e.g., the SSN record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show biographical information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without biographical information.)

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and Department of Homeland Security issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, SSA presumes the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00202.115 Form SS-5 Item 3 — Citizenship:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202115

SSA will not accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

Take the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office and you can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

When an alien requests an SSN or replacement/corrected SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, i.e. I-94, was issued, e.g., married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, i.e. SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14 day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14 day period and entered the 14 day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, suggest that you go back to the SSA office no more that once week with your documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

You can try calling the SSA Regional Office if you have waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845

http://www.ssa.gov/otherssasites/

Refer them to:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service Website at:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...=129227,00.html

Edited by mdyoung

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Thanks alot for yr replies!!!!!!!

K1 VISA: 07/25/06 GOT VISA!!!!!!

30th of September 2006 WEDDING

AOS:01/29/2007 received Permanent Resident Card (GC)

ROC:04/11/2009 received Permanent Resident Card (GC) expiring in 2019!!!!

N-400:

on 05/21/2010 Sent out docs to Arizona Lockbox Facility address via USPS

on 06/30/2010 Biometrics

on 09/24/2010 Interview Day - Passed the Test

on 10/19/2010 Oath - USA CITIZEN!!!!!

on 10/20/2010 I requested the US Passport

on 11/02/2010 the US Passport was received by Priority Mail

on 11/03/2010 @ the Social Security Office I changed my status from Resident to US Citizen

ON THE 3RD OF NOV.2010 MY JOURNEY ENDS, WHICH STARTED IN DEC. 2005!!!!!!!THANKS TO VJ & VJ PPL!!!!!!!!

• 6 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Zombie thread closed; query that revived it has been split off within this forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.