Mark&Took

We are in the U.S.!....now SSN or marriage?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We arrived in the US on May 2. We have started to settle in. I went by the record of deeds office in my county to check on getting a marriage license. They need a SSN for each person, among other things.....or they gave us an affidavit to use for a person who is not eligible for a SSN. They asked if we had applied for a SSN yet (and we haven't) so they gave us the affidavit form for people who are ineligible for a SSN. They said we could use that to get the marriage license but only because we haven't applied for an SSN yet. I'm curious if anyone here has been through a similar experience. It doesn't seem right since we will be eligible for a SSN when we apply.

I read if we apply for a SSN it will probably take 2 weeks to get. It seems like we need to wait 2 weeks after entry to make sure Took is in the SAVE computer system, then apply for the SSN, then wait 2 more weeks to get it. Is that what most people do?

If we marry after getting a SSN we have to go back and change her name. I was hoping to marry first then get the SSN with the married name....saving a return trip to change it. Anyone know if that is possible?

Mark & Took

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was hoping to marry first then get the SSN with the married name....saving a return trip to change it. Anyone know if that is possible?

Mark & Took

Yes I did this no issues. You can do this.

Soon after entry we married. 2 weeks after entry we went to the SSO and handed over my documents plus marriage certificate. Couple weeks later got my SSN in the mail with married name on it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

We arrived in the US on May 2. We have started to settle in. I went by the record of deeds office in my county to check on getting a marriage license. They need a SSN for each person, among other things.....or they gave us an affidavit to use for a person who is not eligible for a SSN. They asked if we had applied for a SSN yet (and we haven't) so they gave us the affidavit form for people who are ineligible for a SSN. They said we could use that to get the marriage license but only because we haven't applied for an SSN yet. I'm curious if anyone here has been through a similar experience. It doesn't seem right since we will be eligible for a SSN when we apply.

I read if we apply for a SSN it will probably take 2 weeks to get. It seems like we need to wait 2 weeks after entry to make sure Took is in the SAVE computer system, then apply for the SSN, then wait 2 more weeks to get it. Is that what most people do?

If we marry after getting a SSN we have to go back and change her name. I was hoping to marry first then get the SSN with the married name....saving a return trip to change it. Anyone know if that is possible?

Mark & Took

The I-94 allows her to get the SS number as long as its not too close to the expiration date. My wife an I waited until after our wedding because we were getting married quickly, five weeks after her entry. This gave us plenty of time to get the SS number in her married name. As to what your local county requires, that is up to the local county and varies all over the country. We did not need SS numbers to get married where we live. I would go by what the county is telling you is valid, since it is their rules you need to follow. Getting the SS card in her married name does save the name change after marriage later, but there will come a point where you're changing the card to remove the note about requiring DHS authorization to work also. So there's no reason you can't do the name change at the same time. What you don't want to do is miss this point in time where the I-94 allows her to get the SS number. I've heard anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days before it expires, they won't let her get an SS card.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wait until you get an ID with her married name....save yourself a trip. We made the mistake of getting the SSN the day after she arrived.

Mark & Took

Edited by skylane

------------------

5/17/2011 I-129F K-1 Petition sent

5/19/2011 Received at TX courier address

5/24/2011 Confirmation Email Received

5/26/2011 NOA1 Received

8/04/2011 NOA2 Received

9/03/2011 Packet 3 Received

9/16/2011 Packet 3 Returned

11/13/2011 Packet 4 Email Received

12/1/2011 Interview

12/8/2011 POE Seattle

12/22/2011 Married

2/17/2012 AOS/EAD/AP Sent

2/24/2012 Chicago Lockbox Received

2/28/2012 NOA1 Email

3/6/2012 NOA1 Letter

3/15/2012 Biometrics

3/22/2012 Transferred to CSC

4/25/2012 EAD/AP Approved

4/30/2012 EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

5/4/2012 EAD/AP Card Received

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Congrats on everything going well so far! We got her SSN first in her original name, and then a few weeks later got the marriage license and got married. After that, we went back to the federal govt and got her SSN changed to her married (my) name. I've read before that the way I did it was the "cautious" way to go about doing it just so her first SSN application lines up with the name on her visa. Good luck!

K-1 Visa

11-08-2010: I-129F sent to USCIS.
11-15-2010: NOA1 received.
4-27-2011: NOA2 sent out.
5-5-2011: NVC confirmation sent.
5-30-2011: Packet 3 received from US Embassy in Bangkok.
6-28-2011: Packet 3 sent to US Embassy.
7-28-2011: Packet 4 and interview appointment notification received.
8-30-2011: Interview appointment: Approved.
10-24-2011: My fiance arrived in the US!
12-9-2011: Married!
12-23-2011: I-485/I-765/I-131 submitted to Chicago lockbox.
12-29-2011: I-485/I-765/I-131 materials received.
1-23-2012: Notice of transfer of I-485 application to California.
2-3-2012: Bio-metrics.
3-2-2012: EAD/AP Approved/Received.
8-29-2012: I-485 Approved.
9-4-2012: Conditional Green Card Received.

5-19-2014: I-751 sent to California Service Center.

5-21-2014: I-797 NOA receipt issued.

7-9-2014: I-797 NOA Biometrics appt issued.

7-23-2014: Biometrics appt.

9-11-2014: AOS Lifted.

9-19-2014: 10 Year Green Card Received.

8-17-2015: N-400 sent to Arizona.

8-21-2015: NOA.

9-18-2015: Biometrics appointment

11-19-2015: Interview passed!

Citizenship!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.