4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I entered in US through K1 Visa last February 15, 2012 and my visa will expired this coming May 14, 2012.

My fiance had an accident and that delays things to us because we been in and out from the hospital. We just got married last May 1, 2012 and got our certified copy on May 4, 2012.

Our question are:

1. Can I still apply for SSN even it's less than a week before my visa expires?

2. What will be my status now since we need to wait for him to get back to to work before applying AOS?

3. Is there a period for AOS?

Thank you.

AOS

July 30, 2012 - Sent AOS Package

Aug 03, 2012 - Received NOA ( AOS, EAD, AP)

Aug 08, 2012 - Received Biometrics Letter Appointment

Aug 17, 2012 - Received RFE Letter

Aug 24, 2012 - Biometrics at USCIS Charlotte

Sep 05, 2012 - USCIS received response to RFE

Oct 06, 2012 - EAD Card Production

Oct 15, 2012 - EAD/AP combo card on hand

May 07, 2013 - AOS approved

May 16, 2013 - Permanent Resident Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I entered in US through K1 Visa last February 15, 2012 and my visa will expired this coming May 14, 2012.

My fiance had an accident and that delays things to us because we been in and out from the hospital. We just got married last May 1, 2012 and got our certified copy on May 4, 2012.

Our question are:

1. Can I still apply for SSN even it's less than a week before my visa expires? Yes you can apply for you SSN

2. What will be my status now since we need to wait for him to get back to to work before applying AOS? Once your Visa and I-94 expires. You will be out of status but don't worry. As soon as you file for AOS. You will be in process of adjusting your status.

3. Is there a period for AOS? No there is no time frame to file AOS. You will be out of status. While you are out of status you can not travel outside of the United States, nor work legally. I would advise filing for AOS, EAD and AP as soon as your husband is financially able.

Thank you.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Our question are:

1. Can I still apply for SSN even it's less than a week before my visa expires? Yes you can apply for you SSN

2. What will be my status now since we need to wait for him to get back to to work before applying AOS? Once your Visa and I-94 expires. You will be out of status but don't worry. As soon as you file for AOS. You will be in process of adjusting your status.

3. Is there a period for AOS? No there is no time frame to file AOS. You will be out of status. While you are out of status you can not travel outside of the United States, nor work legally. I would advise filing for AOS, EAD and AP as soon as your husband is financially able.

Thank you.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Our question are:

1. Can I still apply for SSN even it's less than a week before my visa expires?

2. What will be my status now since we need to wait for him to get back to to work before applying AOS?

3. Is there a period for AOS?

Thank you.

1.) Your K-1 visa became null and void the moment you used it to enter the US. You could have applied for your SSN 10-14 days after you arrived, up until 2 weeks before your I-94 expires. If your I-94 is what is expiring on May 14th, then it is too late. You will have to wait until after you file for AOS and receive your EAD or green card first.

2.) Once your I-94 expires, you will be out of status. Once you file for AOS, your over stay will stop accumulating and you will be in an authorized period of stay. Once you are approved for your green card, the over stay won't matter any longer.

3.) There is no deadline to file for AOS, but you want to file for it as soon as you can since you won't be able to get your SSN, be able to work, or travel outside the US and be allowed re-entry.

No they cannot. There needs to be at least 2 weeks left before their I-94 expires. They will need to wait until they have their EAD or green card in order to get their SSN.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.