9 posts in this topic

i have a question in regard of the I-864

my wife 2011 tax return was not enough, she made around 11.000 $ last year. but she has around 28.000 $ in her bank account, is that enough for her to sponsor me ? or do we need a co-sponsor? can you please tell me how they calculate assets!!

also she lives in Kentucky as she works there, we are in Florida at the moment at her dad's and the plan is she is going back to kentucky to her job and i'm staying here with her dad till i get my green card then i go to kentucky and get a job and get our own place( i can't stay at her mom's house in kentucky) so is it gonna be a problem if they see we live in 2 different states for now?

we want our AOS interview to be in Florida, so i'm going to put my address as her dad's(FL)and she will fly down here again for the AOS interview ....

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

i have a question in regard of the I-864

my wife 2011 tax return was not enough, she made around 11.000 $ last year. but she has around 28.000 $ in her bank account, is that enough for her to sponsor me ? or do we need a co-sponsor? can you please tell me how they calculate assets!!

also she lives in Kentucky as she works there, we are in Florida at the moment at her dad's and the plan is she is going back to kentucky to her job and i'm staying here with her dad till i get my green card then i go to kentucky and get a job and get our own place( i can't stay at her mom's house in kentucky) so is it gonna be a problem if they see we live in 2 different states for now?

we want our AOS interview to be in Florida, so i'm going to put my address as her dad's(FL)and she will fly down here again for the AOS interview ....

Thank you

From i-864 instructions:

29. Total Value of Assets.

In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times thedifference between your total household income and the current poverty guidelines for your household size. However,if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or minor child, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference.

Assuming you have a househould of 2 (you and your spouse) $ 18,912 - $11,000 = $ 7,912

So you need to show total asset worth at least:

$ 7,912 * 3 = $23,736

There will definitely be questions about not living together.. why can't you live in Kentucky with her now?

Edited by engineer21
AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Last year's tax return may or may not matter as far as needing a joint sponsor. Is she a wage/salary earner or self employed? Current and continuing annualized income is the concern.

As far as wanting the interview in FL my question is: why? If your story is about a life together in Kentucky then that ought to be your home address. Since you've arrived in the US on a K1 it's going to look very odd that you are not living together given that you are not work authorized and or pursuing a degree or certification. Be prepared for a higher level of skepticism and scrutiny. This could possibly end up as a Stokes interview, which is no fun.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Thank you for replying, the problem is i can't stay with her in kentucky because she is staying with her mom for now and her mom is not going to be ok with me staying there, meanwhile her dad is so nice to me and he wants us to live here with him forever, but her job is in Kentucky, and she couldn't get a job here in Florida, so she must go back to kentucky otherwise she will lose her actual job, i want to move to kentucky when i'm able to work so we both can rent a place and move in together, as for now i'm staying with her dad and not paying rent or bills, and we got married like 2 weeks ago, and i'm going with her to kentucky to visit her mom and then coming back here as i can't stay there for a long time, don't get me wrong, i'd love to stay in Kentucky so i can be next to her but the thing is i'm not ready to rent a place yet... :(

i have a random question, does USCIS have my X-ray result already ? or do i have to take the cd they gave me in England and give it to the CS and have him transcribe it on the I-693 ?? thank you again

Timeline

Thank you for replying, the problem is i can't stay with her in kentucky because she is staying with her mom for now and her mom is not going to be ok with me staying there, meanwhile her dad is so nice to me and he wants us to live here with him forever, but her job is in Kentucky, and she couldn't get a job here in Florida, so she must go back to kentucky otherwise she will lose her actual job, i want to move to kentucky when i'm able to work so we both can rent a place and move in together, as for now i'm staying with her dad and not paying rent or bills, and we got married like 2 weeks ago, and i'm going with her to kentucky to visit her mom and then coming back here as i can't stay there for a long time, don't get me wrong, i'd love to stay in Kentucky so i can be next to her but the thing is i'm not ready to rent a place yet... :(

i have a random question, does USCIS have my X-ray result already ? or do i have to take the cd they gave me in England and give it to the CS and have him transcribe it on the I-693 ?? thank you again

USCIS doesn't need your x-ray. Doubtful that the civil surgeon will need it.

Your story sounds bad (not saying it isn't true). Looking at it from an immigration officer's perspective, I'd think sham marriage for immigration purposes. You two are making this a lot tougher than it needs to be.

Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Thank you for replying, we are thinking that the best thing if she takes leave of absence from her job and stay here for a few months till i have my green card then we can both go to kentucky and have our own place otherwise i'm gonna have to invest what i have in renting a place in kentucky as i can tell it's gonna be tough if we are apart.

Timeline

Thank you for replying, we are thinking that the best thing if she takes leave of absence from her job and stay here for a few months till i have my green card then we can both go to kentucky and have our own place otherwise i'm gonna have to invest what i have in renting a place in kentucky as i can tell it's gonna be tough if we are apart.

If your spouse is not working that will have an impact on the affidavit of support. So consider all the implications before making any decisions.

So now that i have accurate numbers, my wife's 2011 income was $9,228 and the poverty guideline for 2012 is $18,912

and the difference is $18,912- $9,228 = $9,684

the I-864 instructions say if you are a u.s citizen and sponsoring your spouse then the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference, so based on that: the difference which is $9,684 * 3 = $ 29,052

she already has $ 29,000 in her account and willing to deposit 1 more 1,000 tomorrow so the total in her account will be $30,000

it will be a little over 29,052, my question is that gonna be enough? or it's better to find a co-sponsor? and do you know if anyone had a similar situation and if it turned out to be a problem ?

and is it going to be suspicious that she just added a 1,000 to her account? and can you please tell me what kind of letter from the bank she has to get?

is it a simple letter that says how much she has total ? or a different type of bank statments?

thank you

So now that i have accurate numbers, my wife's 2011 income was $9,228 and the poverty guideline for 2012 is $18,912

and the difference is $18,912- $9,228 = $9,684

the I-864 instructions say if you are a u.s citizen and sponsoring your spouse then the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference, so based on that: the difference which is $9,684 * 3 = $ 29,052

she already has $ 29,000 in her account and willing to deposit 1 more 1,000 tomorrow so the total in her account will be $30,000

it will be a little over 29,052, my question is that gonna be enough? or it's better to find a co-sponsor? and do you know if anyone had a similar situation and if it turned out to be a problem ?

and is it going to be suspicious that she just added a 1,000 to her account? and can you please tell me what kind of letter from the bank she has to get?

is it a simple letter that says how much she has total ? or a different type of bank statments?

thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.