PalestineMyHeart

MENA Films & Documentaries

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Please share your favorite films, documentaries or other programs about you or your SO's MENA country. If possible, please include a link where we can watch - along with a brief description.

I will begin -

This is one of the better documentaries I've seen on the history of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and how we have arrived at the current situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvcH8x1H_Ig

A thought-provoking and powerful documentary film on the current and historical root causes of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Unlike any other film ever produced on the conflict -- 'Occupation 101' presents a comprehensive analysis of the facts and hidden truths surrounding the never ending controversy and dispels many of its long-perceived myths and misconceptions.

The film also details life under Israeli military rule, the role of the United States in the conflict, and the major obstacles that stand in the way of a lasting and viable peace. The roots of the conflict are explained through first-hand on-the-ground experiences from leading Middle East scholars, peace activists, journalists, religious leaders and humanitarian workers whose voices have too often been suppressed in American media outlets.

The film covers a wide range of topics -- which include -- the first wave of Jewish immigration from Europe in the 1880's, the 1920 tensions, the 1948 war, the 1967 war, the first Intifada of 1987, the Oslo Peace Process, Settlement expansion, the role of the United States Government, the second Intifada of 2000, the separation barrier and the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, as well as many heart wrenching testimonials from victims of this tragedy.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Probably not a super serious subject but one of my favorite MENA documentaries is Heavy Metal in Baghdad about the heavy metal group, Accrasicauda. I've also followed the band on FB and they seem to be doing very well for themselves considering their beginnings.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Timeline

Please share your favorite films, documentaries or other programs about you or your SO's MENA country. If possible, please include a link where we can watch - along with a brief description.

I will begin -

This is one of the better documentaries I've seen on the history of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and how we have arrived at the current situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvcH8x1H_Ig

Vive l algerie

Its about the life of an ex cabaret singer and her daughter and prostitution both male and female in Algeria

This song is my theme song.. read the subtitles....and turn it up

You threw me down a well she singsBiyouna

Here is the link to Biyouna

Edited by Beauty for Ashes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Revolutionary Film about the Algerian Struggle for Independence from French Occupation

La Bataille d'Alger (The Battle of Algiers) by Gillo Pontecorvo

Babeloued City This movie I find particularly interesting for two reasons: My husband is from Babeloued and he took part in the Algerian version of arab spring in October 1988. He slept on the streets in protest for weeks, watching his best friend shot, voted for the Islamic Salvation Front before the military junta started rounding up young religious men in his neighborhood. This journey led him eventuality to the US seeking political asylum for his persecution in Algeria. He's a strong man who's been through horrors that I cannot even begin to imagine.

The premise of the film is a young bakery worker who tears out the speakers, used for the call to pray and spreading "islamic knowledge," and comes under fire of the islamic group in his neighborhood. The film was made during the "black years" which was very brave of the filmmaker since journalists and musicians were being assassinated. It's in the local algerian dialect.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I recently saw the movie, Incendies. It's set in Canada and Lebanon and it's about a twin sister and brother trying to figure out their mother's life before she moved to Canada.

I liked this film because it's a drama, suspense and action movie all in one plus I learned somethings about Lebanon's Civil War that I didn't know about.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Revolutionary Film about the Algerian Struggle for Independence from French Occupation

Babeloued City This movie I find particularly interesting for two reasons: My husband is from Babeloued and he took part in the Algerian version of arab spring in October 1988. He slept on the streets in protest for weeks, watching his best friend shot, voted for the Islamic Salvation Front before the military junta started rounding up young religious men in his neighborhood. This journey led him eventuality to the US seeking political asylum for his persecution in Algeria. He's a strong man who's been through horrors that I cannot even begin to imagine.

The premise of the film is a young bakery worker who tears out the speakers, used for the call to pray and spreading "islamic knowledge," and comes under fire of the islamic group in his neighborhood. The film was made during the "black years" which was very brave of the filmmaker since journalists and musicians were being assassinated. It's in the local algerian dialect.

I like Rashida too

The movie ALI ZAOUA is about the street children of casablanca and is wonderful

I think the biggest point to make is that the country was very divided. For as much as many of the young men voted for the islamic front, people that were not as devout resented religion shoved down their throat and not being able to listen to music, live their lives as they wanted and women especially intellectual women resented hijab forced on them and being barracaded inside their houses, unable to move freely. At one point, some of the ultra religious were killing booksellers just for having non religious books. I think there were killers on both sides, both the junta and the islamists. It was not just a one sided mess, thats for sure. Its important to remember that as much as the junta kidnapped people, the islamists themselves killed professors, musicians, writers, even women who just wanted to wear what they wanted

Assja Djebar is a very good author to read about women's perspective. She resented and continues to resent the Islamic Salvation Front and everything FIS represented.

Edited by Beauty for Ashes

Timeline

Fantastic contributions - I have been wanting to watch some good historical pieces on Algeria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gkvj30aNiE

Two men, best friends from childhood, are summoned to fulfill their agreement to be suicide bombers for the Palestinian cause. Khaled and Said (Ali Suliman and Kais Nashef, both making striking film debuts) believe fervently in their cause, but having a bomb strapped to your waist would raise doubts in anyone--and once doubts have arisen, they respond in very different ways. Paradise Now is gripping enough while the men are preparing for their mission, but when the set-up goes awry and Khaled and Said are separated, it becomes almost excruciatingly tense. The movie passes no judgment on these men; impassioned arguments are made for both sides of the conflict. This is a work of remarkable compassion and insight, given the shape and sharpness of a skillful thriller. Its psychological portrait goes beyond the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and resonates with fanaticism and oppression throughout the world, be it related to a religious, nationalist, or tribal cause. A stunning film from writer/director Hany Abu-Assad.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Probably not a super serious subject but one of my favorite MENA documentaries is Heavy Metal in Baghdad about the heavy metal group, Accrasicauda. I've also followed the band on FB and they seem to be doing very well for themselves considering their beginnings.

I found the trailer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC3icYwYstg

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

I recently saw the movie, Incendies. It's set in Canada and Lebanon and it's about a twin sister and brother trying to figure out their mother's life before she moved to Canada.

I liked this film because it's a drama, suspense and action movie all in one plus I learned somethings about Lebanon's Civil War that I didn't know about.

Here's the trailer -

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

I like Rashida too

The movie ALI ZAOUA is about the street children of casablanca and is wonderful

I could not find the trailer for Rashida, but here is one for Ali Zaoua:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks WOM for finding the trailers to these movies. I can't wait to watch the others.

Where do you gals find these movies? Online? Netflix? Purchase them?

The movie Incendies and Paradise Now, I believe I watched through Netflix.

Just a FYI, if your interested in watching Incendies, though, be prepared for tragedy, shock and heartache. I almost wished I had knew about it to be prepared for what it ended up being about. Honestly, it's a very sad movie, but one of the best films I saw last year.

I think part of the reason I love Egyptian movies so much is because some of them are so light. I swear I walk away in tears from laughing so hard. Some Arabic movies (or Middle Eastern movies in general -- Afghani, Israeli or Iranian) are so serious (usually very good though) and depressing.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've gotten most my documentaries from Netflix. I've also watched a couple on PBS. I watched a good one about Israeli and Palestinian kids on PBS a few years ago but can't recall the name of it.

Edited by Mithra

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

That sounds interesting. Is it on DVD, or where did you see it?

Oh I just saw your other comment. Did you find this one on Netflix?

Edited by Lisamarie

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Timeline

Welcome to Hebron
World Premiere November 2007

The documentary Welcome to Hebron was filmed during more than three years on location in Hebron, West Bank. 17-year old Leila Sarsour is the main character of the film. Leila is a student at Al-Qurtuba School, a Palestinian girls school surrounded by Israeli military installations and settlements.

The film shows how the occupation affects everyday life in Palestine. Leila is a Muslim girl, but she does not fit the widespread western stereotype that characterizes Arab women as weak and victimized. Leila is strong, intelligent, outspoken and has her own ideas of a daily life free from oppression and violence. Leila and her classmates are regularly attacked and harassed by Israeli soldiers and settlers.

In this film Leila is seen chatting on MSN, discussing Jimi Hendrix with her mother and sharing her vision of a Middle East based on coexistence and peace.

Filmmaker Terje Carlsson is a freelance journalist based for many years in Jerusalem, working mostly for Swedish National Radio and Television. This is his first full-length documentary.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.