justicejs

Quick question about when to book wedding stuff..

19 posts in this topic

I've actually begun wedding planning for a wedding near the end of the year, which is definitely risky, but the way I look at it, the fun wedding is most likely going to be for show no matter what. Either my fiance will be approved beforehand and we'll have a courthouse wedding before the fun wedding to make it official and legal, or he won't be approved yet and he'll visit here for a non-legal wedding ceremony with a courthouse wedding to follow after he is approved. Stupid? Maybe. Am I having fun planning a wedding? Absolutely!

Be careful with that...reports around VJ say that K-1 visas have been denied at interviews for merely appearing to be married (like having photos of an engagement party, religious wedding, or "pre-wedding" wedding on facebook or referring to each other as husband and wife even without a legal marriage). If that happens, you'll have to start all over with a CR-1.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, how did your process go so quickly? Looks like the whole process took 6 months! Lucky you! Did you do anything special?

The poster in question is from the Philipines where (presumably) it's not nearly as backlogged as Montreal tends to be. Montreal is notorious for being slow, however it is possible to get a K1 visa in 6-7 months from Montreal if you're well prepared (no RFEs at any point in the stage), USCIS approves your petition quickly, you call Department of State for updates on your packet 3/packet 4 instead of waiting for them to arrive in the mail, and you are very lucky with scheduling an interview (i.e. you get your packet 4 when interview slots are open). Don't count on it being that fast, however- 7-10ish months is more common. If you live in western Canada and apply for a K1 you go to Vancouver instead, which is lightning fast.

Edited by pocheros

Wow, how did your process go so quickly? Looks like the whole process took 6 months! Lucky you! Did you do anything special?

We didn't really do anything special, the California Service Center working on our I-129F was just running very fast. We even had an RFE, but I was very careful and took my time to make our reply extremely complete. Heck the reply was larger than the initial package lol. In some cases we just got lucky. Got an early medical and interview by setting it up online rather than waiting for the letter or phone system to set up. The Philippines is a bit different, you need to get your case number from the NVC then set up the rest yourself. We were lucky to get the visa sent quickly after the interview to, some waited near a month to get their's at the time. On the other side, we've been waiting what seems like forever on her green card. But at least we're together, so its not near as bad.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

June 2nd is a huge date for me as well--Will be my first tim hortons coffee in nearly a yr!! Can't wait!!

I have yet to step foot inside a Tim Hortons on this trip so far. I worked there for YEARS and am sick of the place lol! Since I worked for McD's before I left, and was treated super amazing by our store owners, my loyalties lie with McCafe! (Although, my former store is not selling the Frappes yet :( )

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.