rclouse

dogs

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Yes, why say Allah rather than God? I've always found that curious. Wadi didn't understand it when I told him either, he always uses the word for God in whatever language he is conversing in.

I like Allah rather than God because if you translate it correctly into English it should be The God and not just God and it sounds strange to my tongue to say The God in english.

Anyone can say God when talking about anything they call god in english and it's not the same as Allah. For instance, one might call Zues god....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes, why say Allah rather than God? I've always found that curious. Wadi didn't understand it when I told him either, he always uses the word for God in whatever language he is conversing in.

I like Allah rather than God because if you translate it correctly into English it should be The God and not just God and it sounds strange to my tongue to say The God in english.

Anyone can say God when talking about anything they call god in english and it's not the same as Allah. For instance, one might call Zues god....

good point VP :thumbs:

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

My 2 cents, I was taught that the reason a Muslim uses 'Allah' is because Allah is singular and cannot be made plural. The word 'god' can be made plural leading to the belief in worshipping more than 'one'.

Jackie

Edited by jmagayreh

So do you ever say "Ya Allah"? When using the vocative form, we drop the definite article, yet people still say "Ya Allah".

You are still saying "the God" every time you say "Allah" when reading Arabic, and it doesn't bother you in Arabic but only English. Why doesn't it sound equally strange when it is said in Arabic?

We often drop the definite article when translating words from Arabic into English. In Arabic, the definite article is placed before the adjective when modifying a definite noun. We don't translate it this way, of course.

Whatever one's reason for using Allah when speaking English, it is definite more a practice of non-native speakers of Arabic. As for native speakers of Arabic, I would argue it is relatively a new thing to leave Allah untranslated. None of the Arabic speakers we knew growing up, Christian and Muslim alike, left Allah untranslated. Regardless of one's reasons, it does lead to confusion to people unfamiliar with Islam and they are left with the belief that Muslim's worship a different God.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I think the main reason for this is that many Americans have little exposure to Muslims

That (plus your whole reply) was my answer. Like any 'foreign' customs, the differences are interesting to people, or at least, make them curious.

I'm reminded of the time my mother was training for her first marathon run. She needed a running partner. I had a client who was also training for her first marathon and needed a running partner, so I naturally put them together. Thing was, I knew MsClient because she attended meetings at the gay & lesbian-centric AA club across the street. And my mom really couldn't understand my friendships with all 'those people'.

To make a long story bearable, after many multi-hour runs together, chatting as you do, mom and MsClient became fast friends. Mom was amazed that MC had a long term GF/wife---15 years together, and that their concerns and problems were exactly the same as my mother and father's.

There is more to it all of course, but the point is, we oten disparage that which we are unfamiliar with and we usually have more in common with each other than not. I think the vast majority of Muslims want peace and prosperity in their families, to freely express their relationship with their god and to continue the traditions of their forefathers. Just like all the rest of us.

(I did always wonder about the use of "Allah" in English---thank you all for that!)

For instance, one might call Zues god....

Ela!

Zeus, please. :)

In Greek it sounds like "zay-us". I'll invoke him when necessary! (sorry, I'm going straight to every hell known to man, I know)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Allah means God and it's the same term that was used in paganism prior to the advent of Islam. Most Muslims don't know that.

As for the Muslim cabdriver not allowing the dog in his cab, there is no absolutism to how Muslims are to approach dogs, especially dogs that work. The absolutism that some Muslims apply to dogs they also apply to women, prefering to let them die in a disaster rather than being touched by non-mahram male rescuers. This kind of stuff being applied this way is idiocy and I'm offended whenever it is presented as mainstream Islam.

While the Quran is silent regarding dogs, and one can find undivine ahadith pro and con dogs, indicating that there is interpretation involved with the use of ahadith, some things that are consist about Islam is that it teachs us to be reasonable, reasoning, moderate, and kind. There is no kindness in applying absolutism unreasonably. This is the type of simplistic thinking that presents Islam as cruel, cold and lacking in morality and humanity, when it is just the opposite.

Because there are Muslims who have only learned the rules, as they see them, but not the sweetness of their application and practice, we continue to be asked why Islam is so out of touch with reason. What we cannot explain is why so many Muslims are out of touch with reason.

Edited by szsz

Allah means God and it's the same term that was used in paganism prior to the advent of Islam. Most Muslims don't know that.

1. The Arab pagans worshipped over 300 gods... were they all called Allah?

2. There were no pagans prior to Islam because Islam was the first religion beginning with Adam.

3. We were not discussing what is mainstream Islam but the possible reason this person holds the belief he does regarding dogs.

Timeline

I did say that most Muslims didn't know this, so I'm not surprised that you're challenging it.

2. There were no pagans prior to Islam because Islam was the first religion beginning with Adam.

Now you are arguing for the sake of arguing, and that is childish.

3. We were not discussing what is mainstream Islam but the possible reason this person holds the belief he does regarding dogs.

Who has the authority to say that we're not discussing what is mainstream Islam when discussing what reason a Muslim would have to believe whatever they believe about dogs?

I did say that most Muslims didn't know this, so I'm not surprised that you're challenging it.

Now you are arguing for the sake of arguing, and that is childish.

Who has the authority to say that we're not discussing what is mainstream Islam when discussing what reason a Muslim would have to believe whatever they believe about dogs?

OK as always no answers to any of my questions :lol:

Timeline

That's what you prefer to believe. I used to argue with you, but then I realized that you enjoy knowing so little. I'm not one to negate someone's enjoyment, so I'll deal with you when you get real.

Edited by szsz

That's what you prefer to believe. I used to argue with you, but then I realized that you enjoy knowing so little. I'm not one to negate someone's enjoyment, so I'll deal with you when you get real.

deal with me? :huh:

I know enough to know that 360 gods didn't all share the same name :no:

I know enough to know that ilah اله is a god but Allah الله is The God :yes:

and I know enough to know that Islam didn't start with Muhammad it began with Adam so there were no pagans before Islam :no:

All I did was asked for clarification of your post.... I did not insult you personally like you did me above :no: but I guess old habits die hard. :)

You are still saying "the God" every time you say "Allah" when reading Arabic, and it doesn't bother you in Arabic but only English. Why doesn't it sound equally strange when it is said in Arabic?

I realize this but it just doesn't sound right coming off my tongue in English as The God... it's just personal preference.

Timeline

deal with me?

Yes.

I know enough to know that 360 gods didn't all share the same name

I never said they did,Layla.

I know enough to know that ilah اله is a god but Allah الله is The God

So? Did we disagree on that?

and I know enough to know that Islam didn't start with Muhammad it began with Adam so there were no pagans before Islam

I usually say "before the advent of Islam on the Arabian pennisula", but since we were discussing ARABIC, I didn't believe it was necessary to say all that. Since I wasn't posting only for you, I forgot to consider your lack of nuance in understanding what I meant. I apologize for that.

BTW, I had to remind you of that fact about Adam several times. I'm glad to see you have picked it up.

All I did was asked for clarification of your post.... I did not insult you personally like you did me above but I guess old habits die hard.

I have come to know that your asking for a clarification is merely a new shot across the bow to begin a fight. You have no interest in learning anything you don't already believe. and I have decided to interact with you with that in mind and save my energy for those who do wish to learn.

Edited by szsz

I have come to know that your asking for a clarification is merely a new shot across the bow to begin a fight. You have no interest in learning anything you don't already believe. and I have decided to interact with you with that in mind and save my energy for those who do wish to learn.

I don't want to fight... I commented on your post and asked for clarification of your post... this is a discussion forum I thought.... I didn't realize this was the University of SZSZ or that class was in session... carry on :rolleyes:

Timeline

I don't want to fight...

Maybe you don't want to, but it seems you can't help it anyway.

I commented on your post and asked for clarification of your post...

And that is always how it begins.

this is a discussion forum I thought.... I didn't realize this was the University of SZSZ or that class was in session... carry on

That comment says more about you than it does about me, Layla.

I don't want to fight...

Maybe you don't want to, but it seems you can't help it anyway.

I commented on your post and asked for clarification of your post...

And that is always how it begins.

this is a discussion forum I thought.... I didn't realize this was the University of SZSZ or that class was in session... carry on

That comment says more about you than it does about me, Layla.

:rolleyes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.