rclouse

dogs

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
"A Muslim minicab driver refused to take a blind passenger because her guide dog was "unclean".

Abdul Rasheed Majekodumni told Jane Vernon she could not get into his car with the dog because of his religion. "

Now, as I understand it, there's nothing in the Koran that talks about dogs. Also AIUI there is something negative in a hadith, which isn't part of "the recitation" but instead a story about the Prophet or that time. So, why is this guy saying (effectively) that Islam says dogs are unclean?

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

There is a hadith in which the prophet (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) said that a bowl/pot/vessel that a dog has drank from has to be washed like 7 times (I think) before it's clean again and another in which he (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) stated that angels would not enter a home in which there are pictures or dogs.

I would imagine that is what the cab driver is referring to, although, I don't necessarily agree with him in this case because the dog was kept for a specifit medical need the lady had.

Not all muslims believe that Islam is only based on the Quran. For me, I believe Allah commands us in the Quran to obey and follow the way of the messenger and so I believe the Sunnah is a very big part of Islam. If the prophet said those animals are unclean and should not be kept except under certain conditions then I choose to obey him in that.

Timeline
I was told its because of where a dog is constantly sticking its nose that it is considered unclean.

Cats must be doubly unclean then!

Not all muslims believe that Islam is only based on the Quran. For me, I believe Allah commands us in the Quran to obey and follow the way of the messenger and so I believe the Sunnah is a very big part of Islam. If the prophet said those animals are unclean and should not be kept except under certain conditions then I choose to obey him in that.

But isn't the major claim to Islam's legitimacy the Koran, that it is the unaltered word of God? The hadiths are not the unaltered word of God (AIUI), they're stories told by people about the Prophet. How can one give the hadith the same weight or influence as the Koran itself?

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

But isn't the major claim to Islam's legitimacy the Koran, that it is the unaltered word of God? The hadiths are not the unaltered word of God (AIUI), they're stories told by people about the Prophet. How can one give the hadith the same weight or influence as the Koran itself?

Like I said, it's my belief that Allah directly commands us to obey the messenger (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) in the Quran and since the Quran is the speech of Allah and not Muhammad's (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) interpretation of Allah's words then the only option in obeying him would be to follow his Sunnah... we know of his Sunnah by the hadiths. Some are authentic and some are not. This is something I trust the scholars to determine (deciding which ahadeeth is sound and which is not).

Even the sahaba needed the messenger (sal allahu alayhi wa salaam) to explain the Quran to them as it was revealed and I don't believe we are better off today. As I see it, there are many things that we wouldn't know how to do properly (like prayer) if we only referred to the Quran.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey VP,

How come we can't eat the meat of a pig but we can have fried cow testicles? I was wondering about that yesterday. (funny the things one ponders when one is fasting.... :huh: )

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Hey VP,

How come we can't eat the meat of a pig but we can have fried cow testicles? I was wondering about that yesterday. (funny the things one ponders when one is fasting.... :huh: )

Do you eat fried cow testicles when you're not fasting???? :unsure: I wouldn't eat the testicle of any animal whether it be raw, baked, boiled, broiled or fried :no: but that's just my personal preference :P

I guess the simple answer would be because Allah forbade one and not the other. :hehe:

I was told its because of where a dog is constantly sticking its nose that it is considered unclean.

Cats must be doubly unclean then!

There are weak hadith and strong hadith. There are contradictory hadith. There is a hadith about a prostitute giving a dehydrated dog water and God forgiving all her past transgressions for this one act. There are hadith about the dogs being near the Prophet when he prayed. In the Qur'an, the dwellers of the cave shared it with their dog.

I personally don't give ahadith the same weight as the Qur'an. I think there are excellent things to be learned from ahadith, but it is important to keep in mind the transmission. You are assuming that the person remembered something absolutely accurately, that they completely understood the context, that what was being said was not case specific and meant to be applicable for all times, and they were able to communicate this when transmitting it. Then you have to assume the collectors of ahadith were able to preserve the same. Many ahadith were tossed out; I think it is illogical to think that only no false ahadith were kept and no true ones tossed aside. It is assuming perfection on the part of those who gathered them.

Edited by Bosco

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey VP,

Do you eat fried cow testicles when you're not fasting???? :unsure: I wouldn't eat the testicle of any animal whether it be raw, baked, boiled, broiled or fried :no: but that's just my personal preference :P

I guess the simple answer would be because Allah forbade one and not the other. :hehe:

Ok. I mean I always thought He forbade the pig because it was unclean but I mean cow balls are unclean too. I onlly ask because I saw that this is an Egyptian fave on a different website and it made me wonder... :whistle:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline
Ok. I mean I always thought He forbade the pig because it was unclean but I mean cow balls are unclean too. I onlly ask because I saw that this is an Egyptian fave on a different website and it made me wonder... :whistle:

If you can find me some cow balls I'll eat them raw! ;)

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.