PatrickAndJess

How can I get my visa in hand faster?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello fellow VJers,

You guys have been a great help through this entire process and I was hoping someone might have an answer for me. My fiancee is attending her visa interview in Sydney on May 1st. My brother has a wedding on May 5th that my fiancee and I would like her to be here for, but more importantly, the time away is really affecting her emotionally (as I'm sure you are all familiar with). We have a flight booked for May 5th (on the hopes she gets her visa by the 4th), but if not we'd have to probably reschedule the flight for a week later. Have any of you had any luck in talking with the US Consulate or to the Consular Officer during the interview to get the visa in hand sooner? From what I understand (from emailing the Sydney consulate), they no longer will issue you the visa the day of during your interview and it can take 5 business days until they mail it. They did respond that we could talk to the Consular Officer during the interview about receiving it sooner, thus, I am hoping for some guidance. So, for those of you who received your visa in 2 or 3 days after the interview, any help or experience you can offer us? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks you guys.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Good luck with that. :bonk: They have it in every guide that you should not make any plans until after the interview. I don't know why people don't pay attention or learn

Timeline

Good luck with that. :bonk: They have it in every guide that you should not make any plans until after the interview. I don't know why people don't pay attention or learn

Thanks for the condescending attitude. As I mentioned, we are fully able to change the flight if necessary, the purpose of this post was not to "save us" from ruining travel plans. Enjoy your day.

See this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/363738-how-long-after-your-interview-did-you-have-your-visa-in-hand/

According to other Australians, it's taken either two days or two weeks. The most recent ones being two weeks.

I wouldn't count on your fiancée making the 5th, I'm afraid. To be safe you should either refund the tickets or move them ahead at least two weeks.

Good luck. :)

Rough Timeline
(I'm terrible with dates)

• Met online May 2008
  • Began dating August 2010
  • Met face to face July 2011
  • Became engaged October 2011
  • Filed Petition for Fiancé Visa October 2011
  • Approved case forward to Sydney Consulate February 2012 (with the wrong email address- caused a lot of stress trying fix)
  • Packet 3 sent to Consulate April 11 2012
  • Interview date sent back on April 18 2012 (according to them. I had to email to find out, which I got a reply to on April 26)
  • Interview scheduled for May 15 2012
  • Interview on May 15 2012: VISA APPROVED
  • Visa arrived in hand May 21 2012
  • Hopeful wedding date: July 7
  • Married July 7
  • Filed for AOS several days later
  • April 29, 2013: Immigration requested additional evidence (my medical)

Hello fellow VJers,

You guys have been a great help through this entire process and I was hoping someone might have an answer for me. My fiancee is attending her visa interview in Sydney on May 1st. My brother has a wedding on May 5th that my fiancee and I would like her to be here for, but more importantly, the time away is really affecting her emotionally (as I'm sure you are all familiar with). We have a flight booked for May 5th (on the hopes she gets her visa by the 4th), but if not we'd have to probably reschedule the flight for a week later. Have any of you had any luck in talking with the US Consulate or to the Consular Officer during the interview to get the visa in hand sooner? From what I understand (from emailing the Sydney consulate), they no longer will issue you the visa the day of during your interview and it can take 5 business days until they mail it. They did respond that we could talk to the Consular Officer during the interview about receiving it sooner, thus, I am hoping for some guidance. So, for those of you who received your visa in 2 or 3 days after the interview, any help or experience you can offer us? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks you guys.

I would explain the situation to the CO at the interview, in terms of what you would love to be able to do and is it possible??? I'm sure they will do their best if they can help. No harm in asking. Best of luck to you.

AOS Timeline
Filed 15th June, 2012
NOA date 18th June
Bio appt 20th July
Transferred to CSC 21st July, 2012
EAD/AP approved 27th August.
Received Green Card 6th October. No Interview. Amazing!
Thanks for all the help, see you again in June 2014

ROC Timeline

Mailed Package 30th June 2014

I-797 received 5th July, 2014

Biometrics Appointment 07/30/2014.

Timeline

See this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/363738-how-long-after-your-interview-did-you-have-your-visa-in-hand/

According to other Australians, it's taken either two days or two weeks. The most recent ones being two weeks.

I wouldn't count on your fiancée making the 5th, I'm afraid. To be safe you should either refund the tickets or move them ahead at least two weeks.

Good luck. :)

Thanks Danneh for your response. I am aware the odds are against us based on the average wait, but of course we're hoping and trying for the best. We are able to wait until Friday the 4th to change the tickets, so we're hoping to receive the visa by then. In either case, I appreciate you trying to help.

I would explain the situation to the CO at the interview, in terms of what you would love to be able to do and is it possible??? I'm sure they will do their best if they can help. No harm in asking. Best of luck to you.

Thanks Chippy's girl :) Yeah, we also figure there is no harm in asking, but were hoping someone may have had some experience in doing this in the past. At the least, we'll discuss things with the CO and see what they can do.

Timeline

For those of you who read this topic later with the same question, here is the best response I received from a user I messaged:

"When I went into the interview the officer had asked me when I planned to leave, I explained (as well as showing the officer, invitations, rsvp cards, budget and invoices from caterer, photographer, venue, cake etc) the my wedding was completely booked and paid for in 1 month from when I was approved and that I would really like to leave the following week as my fiance had planned a lot of last minute meetings before the wedding so that we could do them together (catering, photographer etc) He was very nice and said that they generally tell people it will take up to 2 weeks because sometimes they have a backlog for printing other visas as well as K1 so it covers them from being called and harassed if they had promised a week etc. He then told me that there wasn't any backlog and that I could expect it to be in the mail right before I had said I wanted to leave and exactly what he said was the case, I had my interview on the Tuesday and it arrived in my premium express post envelope on the Friday. My suggestion to your fiance would be to give them as much of a legitimate reason why she would like to leave as soon as possible, tell her to be very polite when asking about it but ultimately it would be up to the officer whether he gives her any insight as to whether they are backed up."

My fiancee explained our own situation to the CO at the interview and they were able to tell us that they were not backlogged at the moment, and that, while it wasn't a "guarantee", we'd receive it within the next 2 to 3 days by mail most likely. They also gave us an option to pick it up on Friday (which would be the 3rd day after our interview) with the certainty it would be available. A final note on this option though was that we had to decide before she left the interview whether we wanted the visa mailed to us or that we would pick it up. Hopefully this information helps someone else. Thanks again to all of you that have been so great in sorting through this process! Good luck.

PS: I'll also make an additional note from reading a review of someone who's interview was the same day and time as my fiancee. This person says she asked twice if she could pick up her visa and was refused (I believe she actually interviewed with the same person my fiancee did as well). That may indicate the importance of documenting and explaining the necessity for receiving your visa earlier, should you desire to pick up your visa instead of having it mailed to save time.

Edited by PatrickAndJess

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

How did it go?

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

haha Patrickandjess: that other person is me i think. But your fiancee and I went to different officers at both times, there are several windows over there.

Yeah I didn't push too hard because it's a ticket and I can change it (the first time I changed it, they didn't charge me) So i didn't mind too much if i pay to get it changed the second time. I didn't bring my ticket to show them either (maybe I should).

So did your fiancee get it on Friday? Did she send in an express envelop with pkt 4? I didn't.

I wil check tomorrow (Monday) hopefully I can get it.

~My Timeline~

K1 and AOS- 2012

ROC- 2014

Citizenship N400

Filed: 12-28-2020 online

NOA1: 2-1-2021

Bio: reuse 4-26-2021

Interview: 2-14-2022

Timeline

How did it go?

Great! My fiancee didn't hear anything the next day or see any tracking activity, she emailed the 2nd day and received a response back that the visa was ready to be sent and to confirm whether we wanted it to be mailed to her or to have it available for pick up on Friday (the 3rd day), she confirmed she would like it mailed out. We began seeing tracking activity around 8:45pm on Thursday and received it the next day. She flew out Saturday morning and it has been great having her here the last couple days knowing we don't have to be apart anymore :)

haha Patrickandjess: that other person is me i think. But your fiancee and I went to different officers at both times, there are several windows over there.

Yeah I didn't push too hard because it's a ticket and I can change it (the first time I changed it, they didn't charge me) So i didn't mind too much if i pay to get it changed the second time. I didn't bring my ticket to show them either (maybe I should).

So did your fiancee get it on Friday? Did she send in an express envelop with pkt 4? I didn't.

I wil check tomorrow (Monday) hopefully I can get it.

She did get it on Friday :) She brought a platinum express post envelope with her to the interview.

Edited by PatrickAndJess

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Congratulations :dance:

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

Congratulations :dance:

Thanks! I hope you are enjoying your time in Minnesota and good luck to you during this process. It is a long one, but just know there is an end and you're not alone in any of the difficulties or questions you encounter. The people here are great for support and experience.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.