rosajo

Proof of bona fide marriage--children in common enough?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

We've been married for 14 years, I've previously lived in the US on a spousal visa (11 years) and we have two children in common. I'm wondering if I should include evidence of co-mingling of financial resources, or if the birth certs with both our names will suffice. In my Swedish marriage certificate there's also proof of residing together in Sweden on two different occasions in the past.

If not, the only proof of living together is apartment leases (no joint ownership). Should I then supply all leases we've had for the past 14 years, or for how far back is necessary? I haven't saved any copies of previous leases, but can see if I can get from landlords. The easiest for us would be to include a lease from our last US residence (2007-2009). For the past two years we've lived at 3 diff addresses in Sweden, all stated on the G-325 form. Should I supply these leases as well? They would have to be translated, so rather not if not necessary.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You need more than the kids' birth certs. They can help, but, crudely put, only prove that you spent one night together, not that you are having a bondafide relationship. A lease or two together- no need for all 14 years- is good. What about co-mingling of resources- ie bills in joint names, bank account with both your names, being on eachother's life insurance etc?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thanks.

We have two kids several years apart, so it should prove a little more than just a one nighter:). But yes, we do have bank accounts, I forgot about that one. And hopefully we can get copies of old leases. Do you think it's important that documents are recent? I don't like the idea of having to translate our Swedish documents. We've lived for the most part in the US anyhow, just not the past two years.

I was also thinking that in a case like ours, where we've been married for 14 years already, is different.

Edited by rosajo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think you will be fine putting in the older leases, and maybe a newer phone bill or whatever. Honestly, having been married 14 years, having lived some of the time in the USA (where they can easily verify themselves you lives together via governmental records, tax filings etc), and being from a low-fraud country, they may not ask anything and just approve you.

We were married and living together 4 years in Ireland when I applied for my spousal visa. Brought this big binder of evidence with me, they didn't ask for any of it, all they were interested in is to make sure our twins, born in Ireland, had been registered with the embassy.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Yes, that was me too, brought a bunch of evidence with me to the Embassy and she never asked for it:) We had only been married a few months then, but I suppose it's because it's a low-fraud country as you say. And we married in Sweden.

By the way, love your sling! Had a few myself when the kids were small(er).

Edited by rosajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.