Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Julie E

K1 Visa Necessary?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello! Ok, I am new to Visa Journey. My name is Julie Mosser and I am from Florida. My boyfriend, Jose, is from Mexico. We met January 2005 and pretty much started dating right away. It is now Oct. 2006 and we are more than ready to get things on the way to get married. We work on cruise ships so the process is even more difficult..timing and all. Here's the question...He has a Visitor's Visa(B1/B2 VISA/BCC), what more does he need to get married in the United States? Also, we were thinking about the possibility of doing the civil wedding earlier than the church ceremony and what would be needed for that process. Lastly, once married, what forms are needed for the Green Card. I know there is tons of information on this website and I have been reading it but I would like it told to me directly, like I'm an alien! I would love input from anyone also. Thank you!!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot in the guides: Look here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=otheraos

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The guides aren't going to help a whole lot in this case - there's too many variables at play.

If you work on cruise ships, he must also have a C1/D visa. He cannot adjust status from a C1/D, so it becomes difficult. Although he could enter to US on his B2 and you could get married, in order for him to be able to live in the US he would need to return to Mexico and you would have to complete the K3 - because of the inability to adjust from C1/D status, and the requirement for an interview in the home country, it would be nigh on impossible to do whilst he was opn the ship.

It would not be possible for him to adjust from his B2 whilst still working on the cruiseship, because for one he would be considered to have abandoned his AOS on leaving the US. Given that you also have plans to marry right now and he's not on dry US soil, it would not be sensible for you even to consider this as an option anyway; he may have trouble getting back into the US on his B2 as it is, if they ask the right questions at the POE. (Please note, I am not advocating anyone lie at the POE.)

I would suggest that you talk to your crew purser about any other options you have - although I can't see any - or consult an attorney when you're back on land. Sadly, your case is going to be a little more intricate timing-wise than most on here, if you want to continue working whilst the process is underway.

Good luck!


Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.