Shane and Lovely

CFO PDOS - Before or After Visa?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I want to know the pro's and con's of before and after. Love has the next two weeks free in Manila before her interview, and wants to leave Manila after getting her visa to return home for a couple weeks before coming here. So we are trying to decide if it's best for her to do it before she receives her visa or just wait till a couple days before her flight out to do it. I really would like advice based on experiences.

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2011-12-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-12-13

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-02

NVC Received : 2012-04-06

NVC Left : 2012-04-17

Interview Date : 2012-05-09

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2012-05-18

US Entry : 2012-06-01

Marriage : 2012-06-08

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 111 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 148 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

I want to know the pro's and con's of before and after. Love has the next two weeks free in Manila before her interview, and wants to leave Manila after getting her visa to return home for a couple weeks before coming here. So we are trying to decide if it's best for her to do it before she receives her visa or just wait till a couple days before her flight out to do it. I really would like advice based on experiences.

I guess it is better for her to have her visa and finished the CFO seminar so that she wont need to deal with it and just focuse on her flight. The CFO seminar only takes few hours and she can finished it in just 1-2 days..Goodluck =)

I guess it is better for her to have her visa and finished the CFO seminar so that she wont need to deal with it and just focuse on her flight. The CFO seminar only takes few hours and she can finished it in just 1-2 days..Goodluck =)

If she did the seminar first, she would still need to go to the CFO office to present the certificate and claim her sticker, correct? She still has to have the CFO sticker in her passport, and she can't get the sticker until she has the visa. Judging from others' experience, I guess doing the seminar and getting the certificate and sticker all at once is a convenient way. This is what we are probably going to do. On the other hand, she could do the seminar anytime before the interview and get the certificate, but she can only get the sticker after the visa is in hand.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

If there is the time before the interview to do the CFO by all means take the time to get it done, once you have the certificate you only need to swing by CFO with the passport to get the sticker affixed which takes about 30 minutes. You will need two copies of your passport with the visa affixed and your bio page.

My fiancee did the CFO at PRISM on a Wednesday, there were no lines and it was a matter of walking in doing the 3 hour seminar and then 30 minutes for the one on one interview.

No con to doing it early being you have the time.

Remember you will need:

A copy of petitioner's birth certificate and bio page of his passport, plus know his mother's maiden name. And a copy of his divorce decree if he has been married before.

The you will need a two copies of your CENOMAR, and certified birth certificate and of your passport.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the advice everyone. Seeing as it only takes 3.5 to 4 hours I'm now wondering at the wisdom of doing it first. Think it's probably better to just knock it all out in one shot after the visa is in hand. If I am correct most people receive the visa about 1-2 weeks after approval at the interview. Is that correct?

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2011-12-07

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-12-13

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-02

NVC Received : 2012-04-06

NVC Left : 2012-04-17

Interview Date : 2012-05-09

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2012-05-18

US Entry : 2012-06-01

Marriage : 2012-06-08

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 111 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 148 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Seeing as it only takes 3.5 to 4 hours I'm now wondering at the wisdom of doing it first. Think it's probably better to just knock it all out in one shot after the visa is in hand. If I am correct most people receive the visa about 1-2 weeks after approval at the interview. Is that correct?

Correct if you live in the Manila metro. In the provinces it may take a little longer.

Bob

• Married in Manila: 08/20/2010
  • I-130 Sent to lockbox: 10/01/2010
  • I-130 Received: 10/03/2010
  • NOA-1 Received: 10/04/2010
  • NOA-2 Received: 02/01/2011
  • Received NVC: 02/08/2011
  • AOS Bill Generated: 02/10/2011
  • AOS Bill Paid: 02/10/2011
  • DS 3032 Emailed: 02/10/2011
  • IV Bill Generated: 02/14/2011
  • IV Bill Paid: 02/14/2011
  • IV Packet Received @ NVC:02/22/2011
  • NVC Completed 03/08/2011
  • Interview Date Post Sputum results May 17
  • Results negative, Interview scheduled 6/13
  • Placed in A/R 06/13/2011
  • I-601 required 07/18/2011
  • I-601 filed 11/9/2011
  • I-601 approved 11/29/11
  • 2nd Sputum test ordered 12/21/11
  • 2nd Sputum Test passed 02/21/12
  • Visa Approved!! 03/15/2012
  • Visa In Hand 03/17/2012
  • POE SFO 03/24/2012

Complete the seminar before receiving the visa.

There have been an unfortunate few who have had to return to the seminar with a required document. Play it safe. Allow time for this possibility.

When the seminar is completed, getting the sticker is a simple procedural matter which can be done anytime after you receive your visa.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Maybe the option of getting the CFO counseling out of the way offers a bit of convenience and piece of mind -- especially to those traveling to Manila from the provinces, they can get CFO, medical and interview all done in one trip.

Also, number 4 as highlighted below might be less of an issue when time is plentiful while waiting for the visa.

Requirements for Attendance to Guidance and Counseling Program

1. Two (2) valid identification cards (IDs) with photograph;
  2. Duly completed guidance and counseling form;
  3. If married, certified true copy and photocopy of marriage contract on security paper from the National Statistics Office, or Local Civil Registry Offices; or original and photocopy of marriage contract duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/ Consulate (if married abroad)
  4. Other documents as may be required by the counselors; and
  5. Payment of P250.00 counseling fee.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

Complete the seminar before receiving the visa.

There have been an unfortunate few who have had to return to the seminar with a required document. Play it safe. Allow time for this possibility.

When the seminar is completed, getting the sticker is a simple procedural matter which can be done anytime after you receive your visa.

Hey buddy, I did not mean to step on your post -- I was in the process of posting while doing laundry and making breakfast.

When I hit "Add Reply," you had already posted.

I totally agree with you! :thumbs:

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

Hey buddy, I did not mean to step on your post -- I was in the process of posting while doing laundry and making breakfast.

When I hit "Add Reply," you had already posted.

I totally agree with you! :thumbs:

No problem...and thanks for posting the relevant info straight from the CFO website regarding "other documents that may be required...". You hit the nail on the head. :thumbs:

Timeline

ya that "other documents" is there rabbit in the hat card to request... ANYTHING

For Amy under "other documents" they requested a copy of her CENOMAR, certified birth certificate, bio page of her passport, and visa page (two of all) and multiple pictures of us together, copies of my birth certificate, my passport bio page, then asked for divorce decree (in my case they got a death certificate), and always the maiden name of my mother.

People at PRISM were very good to deal with, even the guard. While Amy was doing her seminar I sat out front and BS'd with the guard... he was a comic.

Seminar and interview burned 3.5 hours almost to the minute, the a quick ride over to CFO just around the corner and down the street and another 30 minutes and we were on our way to lunch.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

To be honest, doing it while you have a coupe weeks is great. She may need to know her fiancee's maiden mother's name. Sometimes this is a gotcha before passing her in the interview.

I prefer CFO At St. Mary's -- good shepherd convent. Behind a green gate. Great place to go if you are catholic. (run by nuns at both Manila and cebu) Also, you can get the green certificate, and all paperwork WITHOUT having to make extra stops like you do for PRISM. St.Mar's has a cantina with soda and food (soda is 8 php). with PRISM you have to go to the main CFO office after the seminar completion to get your green certificate. Please note you can attend the CFO without your passport and visa in hand with just your NBI and postal ID.

the "other" documents can also be the consent or counseling letter from the parent or guardian. the laws are different in Philippines. Sometimes they can even ask for the parent or guardian to come to CFO. (rare, but sometimes it happens.) The CFO can also help her to prepare for the embassy interview making sure her packet is ready and prepared. the one-on-one interview is similar to the embassy. Please note, it may be 4 hours. but typically, you have a seminar class in the morning, then are called back for a one-on-one interview later on in the day. If done in the afternoon, you usually go back the next day sometime.

Once you have your money paid and green certificate, you can get you sticker at the international airport counters. If flying Philippine airlines terminal 2, this is just after the first security check next to the ticket counters. (Terminal 2 is always manned from 7 am to 11 pm) If you opt to get at the airport in terminal 1 and no one is there, just call the number listed on the CFO page to have them come to you at the terminal. We were done in 15 minutes at terminal 2 with the CFO sticker.

I highly recommend doing while she has free time in manila. It will save time of the flight to the USA. It did for at least me and my fiance.

Best of luck.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

No problem...and thanks for posting the relevant info straight from the CFO website regarding "other documents that may be required...". You hit the nail on the head. :thumbs:

You bet -- much respect!

Anybody else and there wouldn't have been an apology... :no::) well ok, I'll include Hank also. :yes:

Timeline

ya that "other documents" is there rabbit in the hat card to request... ANYTHING

For Amy under "other documents" they requested a copy of her CENOMAR, certified birth certificate, bio page of her passport, and visa page (two of all) and multiple pictures of us together, copies of my birth certificate, my passport bio page, then asked for divorce decree (in my case they got a death certificate), and always the maiden name of my mother.

People at PRISM were very good to deal with, even the guard. While Amy was doing her seminar I sat out front and BS'd with the guard... he was a comic.

Seminar and interview burned 3.5 hours almost to the minute, the a quick ride over to CFO just around the corner and down the street and another 30 minutes and we were on our way to lunch.

Yeah, that is the good ole 'gotcha' followed by one of these -- :D aka = a sh!t eaten grin, when they ask for a document they know a fiancee is most likely not to have at that moment.

Timeline

You bet -- much respect!

Anybody else and there wouldn't have been an apology... :no::) well ok, I'll include Hank also. :yes:

I am honored.... and I don't even ride an H-D..... :lol:

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.