Duders

Trouble with SSN

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I need some help. I hope this is the right forum.

I applied for a social security card February 6th, 2012. As of today, I have still heard nothing and when I called, the lady on the phone said I have 2 weeks before my application expires. I came in on a K-1 visa, I got married on March 17th, 2012, send AOS and got the e-mail notification just yesterday April 23rd, 2012.

I'm not sure what to do now. Having looked through the guides, I assumed it's hard to apply for a social security card after your I-94 expires? Mine expired on April 22nd. What can I do now? Since I'm married now and I've sent in my AOS, is it safe to start the process over for the SSN or will they be unwilling because of my expired I-94? Some advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Did you apply for a SS# before you got married?

Edited by pddp

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Timeline

Did you apply for a SS# before you got married?

Yes. I applied 2 weeks after arriving in the US (entered January 23rd, filed February 6th). Married March 17th. For some reason, they said my application came up "suspect". I don't know why.

Timeline

Yes. I applied 2 weeks after arriving in the US (entered January 23rd, filed February 6th). Married March 17th. For some reason, they said my application came up "suspect". I don't know why.

Right, when you got married shouldn't matter as K1s are eligible for a SS# anyways. (Sorry, I was thinking of my own case, I only needed to change my existing # to my married name.) I would go to your local ss office asap, before your application expires and find out what happened. They can't just "lose" an application like that, and you applied when you still had plenty of time left on your I-94. Be prepared though, the SSA employs some of the most incompetent and unhelpful people...

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Timeline

Right, when you got married shouldn't matter as K1s are eligible for a SS# anyways. (Sorry, I was thinking of my own case, I only needed to change my existing # to my married name.) I would go to your local ss office asap, before your application expires and find out what happened. They can't just "lose" an application like that, and you applied when you still had plenty of time left on your I-94. Be prepared though, the SSA employs some of the most incompetent and unhelpful people...

Well, I called my local office and that's what she said, that it came up suspect. My application has been in "review" by Homeland Security or whoever for weeks. She gave me a number to call, 1-800-375-5283, but it's USCIS and all automated (tried to input my receipt number from NOA for AOS, but it wouldn't take it... twice), I couldn't even figure out how to talk to a real person. There was no mention of SSNs anywhere anyway, let alone what to do when something like this happens. The toll-free number for SSA wasn't much more helpful.

So I'm sort of at a loss.

Edited by Duders

Timeline

Go to your local office in person. Try to establish a friendly rapport with the person you're directed to, tell them you're at a loss of what to do, ask what they would do if they were in your shoes. This is hard to do over the phone and with these people, might be your only shot.

They made a horrible mess of mine: what should've been a simple name change turned into them first not even processing my application, then actually issuing me a new number all together (so I had 2 in my name), then finally on my second trip there having everything settled and in the end having the guy ask me "and this is for your daughter, right?", which made my husband crack up laughing hysterically and me almost punching the guy. (Well, not quite. :P ) Yeah, I don't even have a daughter... Anyways, good luck, I'm sure you'll get it settled in the end. :yes:

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Email SSA at http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/ask Include your phone number and someone will call you within a day or two. I had a similar problem (my SS application was pending verification from DHS for 2 months), so I emailed them, they called me and the issues was resolved within a couple of days.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.