dwarf

after Medical in PH, is there another medical in US

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm done with POE, Marriage. Now we are preparing the AOS docs. Is there any required medical tests that I need to do at this point of time?

You are not required to have another medical exam for your wife as long as it has not been over a year since the one at Saint Lukes. You will need a civil surgeon to sign off on the I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record. You will need to let them know that they are only signing for the immunization part of the I-693 as your wife's medical exam is still current if less than one year. They may try to tell you that they will not do it without a medical exan. In that case you call around until you find a civil surgeon who will sign the paperwork for the immunization portion of the I-693. You shouldn't have to pay more than $50.00 for the civil surgeon to certify the immunizations and they will sign and seal it in an envelope in accordance with the USCIS guidelines and then you will mail it with the rest of your AOS packet. Your wife will need to get the remaining immunizations that were not available at Saint Lukes. THe civil surgeon's office can verify which ones are needed if you fax them the DS-3025 that your wife should have received form Saint Lukes. Get the shots at your family doctor and they should be covered by your medical insurance. Below is a link to help you find approved civil surgeons. Shop around. Good luck.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

Timeline

You are not required to have another medical exam for your wife as long as it has not been over a year since the one at Saint Lukes. You will need a civil surgeon to sign off on the I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record. You will need to let them know that they are only signing for the immunization part of the I-693 as your wife's medical exam is still current if less than one year. They may try to tell you that they will not do it without a medical exan. In that case you call around until you find a civil surgeon who will sign the paperwork for the immunization portion of the I-693. You shouldn't have to pay more than $50.00 for the civil surgeon to certify the immunizations and they will sign and seal it in an envelope in accordance with the USCIS guidelines and then you will mail it with the rest of your AOS packet. Your wife will need to get the remaining immunizations that were not available at Saint Lukes. THe civil surgeon's office can verify which ones are needed if you fax them the DS-3025 that your wife should have received form Saint Lukes. Get the shots at your family doctor and they should be covered by your medical insurance. Below is a link to help you find approved civil surgeons. Shop around. Good luck.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

As for my case, during my medical at St Luke's,I already had 2 vaccine shots (TDAP and MMR) and we are filing the AOS within this same year. Does it mean I no longer needed the i-693 right?

Timeline

As for my case, during my medical at St Luke's,I already had 2 vaccine shots (TDAP and MMR) and we are filing the AOS within this same year. Does it mean I no longer needed the i-693 right?

No. The I-693 is part of your AOS packet and you will need to get the other missing vaccinations that you did not get at Saint Lukes. The Civil Surgeon will tell you which ones you need to get and it is cheaper to get it done at the family doctor if you are on your husband's medical insurance. Have the the family doctor print out your shot records for the vaccinations and take them along with your DS-3025 to the Civil Surgeon's office. They should have prepared the I-693 and will fill in the vaccinations you were missing based on the shot record from your family doctor. They will then sign the I-693 certifying it, seal it and mark it in accordance with the guidelines set forth and hand it over to you. Ask them to make a second copy for your record in case your AOS paperwork gets lost. Good luck.

Timeline

No. The I-693 is part of your AOS packet and you will need to get the other missing vaccinations that you did not get at Saint Lukes. The Civil Surgeon will tell you which ones you need to get and it is cheaper to get it done at the family doctor if you are on your husband's medical insurance. Have the the family doctor print out your shot records for the vaccinations and take them along with your DS-3025 to the Civil Surgeon's office. They should have prepared the I-693 and will fill in the vaccinations you were missing based on the shot record from your family doctor. They will then sign the I-693 certifying it, seal it and mark it in accordance with the guidelines set forth and hand it over to you. Ask them to make a second copy for your record in case your AOS paperwork gets lost. Good luck.

I see. As per my understanding, I need to find first a Civil Surgeon and ask him/her what are the vaccines I need to have for my i-693 form, then I'll ask my partner to find a family doctor who will do the vaccine shots for me. So it appears that the purpose only of the Civil Surgeon is to do the paperwork and the filling up of forms and certifying it right?

Do you recall how many more shots your wife took?

Thanks a lot. Makes it much clearer now.

I see. As per my understanding, I need to find first a Civil Surgeon and ask him/her what are the vaccines I need to have for my i-693 form, then I'll ask my partner to find a family doctor who will do the vaccine shots for me. So it appears that the purpose only of the Civil Surgeon is to do the paperwork and the filling up of forms and certifying it right?

St. Lukes will probably give you a shot for Tdap and for MMR. Also, I think they give a flu shot only during flu season. I don't think you will need any other shots.

Timeline

St. Lukes will probably give you a shot for Tdap and for MMR. Also, I think they give a flu shot only during flu season. I don't think you will need any other shots.

therefore, can i just ask him to fill up all the forms without going thru all the medical exam and vaccine shots? because some surgeons says its bundled, its all packaged up like u have to do medical + vaccine shots in order for them to do the i-693 forms

they are making business out of it..

https://egov.uscis.g...office_type=CIV

He is right. However good luck finding one that will understand that and see you for 50.00. He is right it can be done, but we had no luck finding one that would. Finally gave up and paid the extra money.

Timeline

He is right. However good luck finding one that will understand that and see you for 50.00. He is right it can be done, but we had no luck finding one that would. Finally gave up and paid the extra money.

You just have be be clear and firm. It is all how you communicate. Make sure they know that they are only filling out the immunization part and certifying that part. They will not fill out the rest for a medical exam as they do not need to do it since your Saint Luke medical exam is good for one year. Just check all of them in your state if you have to. I am lucky in Indianapolis as I have found several that will do it for the immunization part only and understand I am not asking for the medical exam. The one I found here recently is charging only $25.00. So I guess I am lucky. Good luck in finding one that will not extort you for an exam becasue they feel like they have the power and want to make money off of you when it isn't necessary. Shop around and compare rates, but be very clear in telling them what you want and need. You must make them understand that they are certifying the immunizations only and you are not asking to fill out information on the rest of the form for a medical exam. They should understand that if it is clearly communicated to avoid any confusion.

Edited by RickJovi

Timeline

They certify the paperwork becasue USCIS requires a civil surgeon they recognize. I think it should be a medical doctor such as your family doctor. Hopefully it will change one day. There should be a listing of shots on the K1 interview preparation packet that are mentioned. Check that out, but I believe it is at least 6 if I remember. Could be more. Here is the link to the packet for the Philippines. Most of them are not available, so whatever teh remaonong shot that the civil surgeon says you need, she will have to get once in the U.S.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/manila/19452/public/Revised%20K1%20Instruction%20Packet%20_3__rtf2_004.pdf

You just have be be clear and firm. It is all how you communicate. Make sure they know that they are only filling out the immunization part and certifying that part. They will not fill out the rest for a medical exam as they do not need to do it since your Saint Luke medical exam is good for one year. Just check all of them in your state if you have to. I am lucky in Indianapolis as I have found several that will do it for the immunization part only and understand I am not asking for the medical exam. The one I found here recently is charging only $25.00. So I guess I am lucky. Good luck in finding one that will not extort you for an exam becasue they feel like they have the power and want to make money off of you when it isn't necessary. Shop around and compare rates, but be very clear in telling them what you want and need. You must make them understand that they are certifying the immunizations only and you are not asking to fill out information on the rest of the form for a medical exam. They should understand that if it is clearly communicated to avoid any confusion.

I wish that were true. We have one Civil Surgeon within 150 miles. He told us that he had one fee for Immigration work whether it was just a transcript or the entire physical. His receptionist also told us we were more than welcome to take a hike if we didn't like it, and gave us the name and number for the one 150 miles away, (with a smile). Bottom line is that a 300 mile round trip and a day off work would have cost more than the $200 he wanted for the transcript. Actually it was $400 for a K1&K2.

The nurse did the paperwork and the Dr just came in and signed it. When I complained to USCIS, in writing and during the interview, they basically told me to shut up and color. They have zero control over what a civil surgeon charges.

PS - neither wife nor step daughter needed additional immunizations.

Edited by DaveE

Filed: Timeline

Sure glad we slipped through without seeing a civil surgeon, or submitting the I-693. We just showed the receipt for the missing Tetanus and Influenza vaccinations from Kaiser, and that was it. We had a friend that went through the process about a year after us, and the civil surgeon administered a full physical and all required vaccinations, before he would fill out the form. It is a racket, for sure.

Edited by ☼

Timeline

I wish that were true. We have one Civil Surgeon within 150 miles. He told us that he had one fee for Immigration work whether it was just a transcript or the entire physical. His receptionist also told us we were more than welcome to take a hike if we didn't like it, and gave us the name and number for the one 150 miles away, (with a smile). Bottom line is that a 300 mile round trip and a day off work would have cost more than the $200 he wanted for the transcript. Actually it was $400 for a K1&K2.

The nurse did the paperwork and the Dr just came in and signed it. When I complained to USCIS, in writing and during the interview, they basically told me to shut up and color. They have zero control over what a civil surgeon charges.

PS - neither wife nor step daughter needed additional immunizations.

Sorry to hear that. You got majorly srewed and they acted like that because they new they were the only show in town. THat was really a BS move on their part. It just shows you how greedy people are. They will get it in the end. Karma is a B##ch. Take care.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.