Tithen

Question about my passport.....

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm anticipating having my green card in a few weeks if all goes well. But my Green card should, if luck is on my side (immigration lawyer gave bad advice, filed everything in my maiden name, going to beg for that to change on Tuesday), be issued in my married name, where as my passport is in my maiden name. So for easier travel I'd like to change my name on my passport. Of course, to do this, you file for a new one.

Passport Canada says that Canadians living in the US MUST mail in their application... but I'm going to be IN Canada in August. Do I really have to go through the absolute nightmare of filing from the USA (they say it's easy, but it's not, since my Guarantor is in Canada, and I am in the US) or can I just go into the office when I get there this summer and file for it there?

Ashley and Woody (Samuel)

Arrival: 04/18/2011

Married: 09/22/2011 in New Orleans

File date: 12/28/2011

Received: 12/30/2011

Biometrics: 02/27/2012

EAD received: 03/03/2012

SSN application: 03/23/2012

SSN received: 03/30/2012

Interview: 04/24/2012

GC approval: 04/26/2012

Welcome letter: 04/30/2012

GC arrival: 05/04/2012

ROC submitted: 04/07/2014

denied "not properly signed": 04/18/2014 :ranting:

new packet mailed: 04/19/2014

Receipt notice: 04/26/2014

Biometrics Appointment: 05/19/2014 - reschedule request sent

Biometrics Appiontment: 05/29/2014 - they're on their game

Green Card approved: 07/14/2014

Green Card arrived: 07/19/2014

Naturalization process to begin in 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm anticipating having my green card in a few weeks if all goes well. But my Green card should, if luck is on my side (immigration lawyer gave bad advice, filed everything in my maiden name, going to beg for that to change on Tuesday), be issued in my married name, where as my passport is in my maiden name. So for easier travel I'd like to change my name on my passport. Of course, to do this, you file for a new one.

Passport Canada says that Canadians living in the US MUST mail in their application... but I'm going to be IN Canada in August. Do I really have to go through the absolute nightmare of filing from the USA (they say it's easy, but it's not, since my Guarantor is in Canada, and I am in the US) or can I just go into the office when I get there this summer and file for it there?

Search the Cdn forum, we must have at least 10 threads about apply for passports :) Some of us have done it by mail, some of us happened to be back in Canada visiting and went into a local office. It isn't a night mare to do it by mail, not sure why you have that impression?

I personally did it while back home 1 trip. I was able to get my old passport back on the spot (corner cut off) and received the new one back probably less tham 2 weeks later at my US address in the mail.

I chose my brother (who lives in Canada) as my guarantor and just visited him the night before I went to the passport office.

Very easy.....but by mail is just as easy, you would just have to mail stuff to your guarantor and have them mail it back to you before sending your pkg in.

Good luck

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your greencard may end up being issued in your maiden name also. My friend filed while married with her new married name for a CR1 and her visa was issues in the name of her passport. Maybe someone else with first hand experience can respond. They are not just going to change it to your married name (even if you beg them). They are likely required to follow your paperwork as it was filled out and signed.

And, it's really not a big deal to travel with your passport in your maiden name and your greencard in your maiden name if that's how it works out. I did it for 18 months with no issues at all. Just make sure you buy your plane tickets in the name of your passport no matter what.

Also, it's really easy to get your passport by mail. Before you move, fill out the forms with your guarantor in advance (it can be any Canadian citizen that has known you for at least 2 years, even your own mother/father.) and so when you are ready to file, you'll already have the forms ready and will just need to mail it in with photos. I even took my photos in Canada while I was visiting, but just sent it while I was in the US. Mine took 4 weeks, but most people's only took 3. I sent it to them via UPS since they require originals and I wanted to play it safe with a tracking number.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Timeline

If you applied for a spousal visa then Marilyn is right in that your GC will be issued in the name which is on your passport. If you adjusted status from another entry then the name on your GC will be in whichever name you entered on the application.

I still travel with my GC in one name and my passport in another and it's never been a problem. When buying international airline or cruise tickets you will need to purchase them in your passport name. When flying domestic you can use your married name as long as you have US ID in that name (i.e. US drivers license).

iagree.gif

Timeline

It looks like she is going through AOS. Unfortunately, if you wanted the GC in your married name, you needed to file in your married name. It seems highly unlikely they would agree to issue the card in your married name at the AOS interview. And even if the interviewing IO did agree, if the information in the system isn't changed, it will be issued per the paperwork. USCIS is not very good about properly updating their records... but it doesn't hurt to ask (or beg!)

But like Sapphire and krikit said, travelling with your GC in one name and passport in the other is easy. I've been doing it since we married and have never had an issue. They've never even asked me about the name discrepency...

Timeline

I didn't come on a visa, we're adjusting status based on marriage from a VWP trip to the states.

They asked me what name I wanted it in, if I was taking DH's name. When I said yes, she crossed my maiden off the form in Red pen and wrote my married above it with a note to issue it in my married name. I had told her what was said on here, and she said that they can issue it in either married or maiden, but some officers don't ask, and if you don't tell them, you get what you get.

Timeline

Short answer to your question: yes you can wait for your August trip to Canada to get a new passport. Just make sure your stay is long enough to allow enough time for them to process your application. Canadians in the U.S. must apply by mail because Canadian embassies and consulates abroad do not process passport applications. That's all. I renewed mine 2 months ago by mail and it was not anymore complicated than in person. However they are very strict on the photo requirements so make sure it's 100% right before you mail it in.

Traveling with both names is not an issue. Keep in mind you need to travel under the name of your ID. So you may travel within the U.S. with your U.S. driver's license in your married name. And as Krikit said, when travelling internationally, you will need to use the name in your passport. You might want then to also carry a copy of your marriage certificates during international travels, which explains the name difference.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

no you can bring it in person if you wish but you must pay the fee as living in USA cause they mail it to USA, My family brought mine iun from canada as I mailed it to my family first for signatures so you can bring it yourself FOR SURE

SMURFIN AWESOME!!!!

Timeline

Just 1 comment - Your visit doesn't have to be long enough to allow them to process your application at all. I went home for a few days and applied while I was there (Kitchener has a processing office). I walked in with my application all filled out and paid the fee. They reviewed my application, took photocopies of my proof of citizenship and my marriage certificate (for my name change) and then cut the corner off my old one and stamped it and gave it back to me. I had them mail the new one to my US address and I got it within a week or 2 at my US address.

I returned to the US the next day with my GC (of course) and a Cdn passport with the corner cutoff (we drive, not fly) and experienced no issues - no big deal, no big hassle - no need to stay in Canada or anything like that.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

We had planned a 3 week visit regardless... my husbands way of making it up to me for keeping me away for so long. A few extra days wouldn't upset me, since it will be another year before I get to go back again. If I can have it sent to our apartment that'd be great, I'll just drop it in the mail after I see my guarantor that way DH doesn't have to mind my little cousins in the car while I go and drop it off at the office.

Green Card arrived, no troubles in my married name. I was one happy girl yesterday when it was in the mail box. Next hurdle.. the drivers license. We call Wi home (we are in Ohio right now)... their site isn't 100% clear on what they do with immigrants and getting a Wi license. I'm really hoping I can walk in, pass the vision test and go with my license. I really don't want to retake the drivers test. I know DH didn't have to do anything special to exchange his out of state one for a Wi on when he moved there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.